Verified Expert in Engineering
Ethan is a senior-level software engineer with a strong background in iOS development. He takes a quality-focused approach to engineering, and prefers to avoid taking shortcuts that compromise maintainability or user experience, but is always aware of business needs. He values open, constructive communication and teamwork, working well with product and design teams as appropriate to make the product the best it can be.
Git, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Xcode, MacOS
The most amazing...
...app I've built was a full working prototype for a new to-do-list application—both the iOS app and back-end—and designed its MVP offline-first syncing protocol.
- Acted as the primary owner and maintainer of the Good Eggs iOS app (written in Swift).
- Led the technical aspect of a project involving surface farm variability for produce, defining the full-stack technical changes and working cross-team to build consensus on internal APIs.
- Mentored and onboarded newer junior engineers on the team.
Principal iOS Engineer
- Designed and built the NextUp iOS task management app, including a modular sync engine.
- Co-developed a robust offline-first, multi-client syncing protocol to support task management.
- Built initial proof-of-concept for both iOS app and Rails backend.
Contractor, iOS Engineering
- Provided ongoing maintenance and feature work on a distributed team for the Couchsurfing iOS app.
- Interviewed remote iOS candidates to help build out an overseas engineering team.
- Onboarded iOS engineer, documenting our process and code style guidelines.
Lead iOS Developer
- Created the 8tracks iOS app architecture, worked on feature development, and implemented bug-fixes for 1.2 million monthly active users.
- Co-designed and iterated upon major features with the UX and design teams.
- Maintained by myself the API support for mobile features.
- Collaborated with the ads team in integrating and testing SDKs for third-party networks.
- Launched a full redesign of the application in 2014; loved by the community and tech press.
- Built the 8tracks app for the first-generation Apple Watch framework.
- Interviewed prospective engineers for the iOS team and other roles.
iOS Software Engineer
- Built a new feature for airfare price alerts; including handling push notifications and working with the back-end team for API endpoints.
- Completed the UI updates in preparation for the launch of the iOS 7 update.
- Solved the performance problems for older devices.
DeLorme (now owned by Garmin)
- Built features for the Earthmate iOS application; including the entire map download flow.
- Developed an API for mobile applications to access downloadable maps.
- Integrated the iOS application with a web-based system for selecting map regions.
- Selected for a high impact team to recover a delayed subcontractor project—playing a critical role in ensuring that emergency S.O.S. messages are routed correctly.
- Added encryption features to the iOS application and built a corresponding web application as a sample back-office endpoint for customers.
- Built features for desktop GIS software, including updating the code architecture.
- Collaborated on a topology system for editing geometry relationships on many GIS layers.
- Developed an improved undo/redo system to accommodate new features.
- Integrated the desktop application with HTML-based applets for rapid feature deployment; enhancing the application API as necessary.
While acting as the tech lead, on this project of providing surface producer variability to customers, I researched deeply into the monolithic web app codebase and defined detailed changes for application logic, background billing jobs, and background caching of available products.
Good Eggs iOS Apphttps://itunes.apple.com/us/app/good-eggs-grocery-delivery/id1020495070
A part of maintaining and iterating on the app was also iterating on the backend API that coalesces requests from the iOS app and proxies them to the main application server. For full-stack features, I worked on all three codebases.
8tracks iOS App
My first task was to finish a major overhaul of the design— which launched about three months after I joined the team—and received much praise and high ratings from the users.
I developed features pragmatically, but with a vision for how to improve the architecture, and over time made the application more stable for its 1.2 million monthly active users.
When building support for the video ads, my role also included frequent communication with the product team, ad sales team, and third-party ad networks—in order to increase revenue with minimal impact to the app's usability and stability.
Hipmunk iOS App
Earthmate iOS App
Cocoa Touch, Ruby on Rails (RoR), AFNetworking
Xcode, Auto Layout, Git
iOS, MacOS, Win32, Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
CocoaPods, Ruby on Rails API, Facebook iOS SDK, Node.js, ReSwift
Agile Software Development, REST, Unit Testing
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Mathematics
Clarkson University - Potsdam, NY, USA