Cloud Architect/Founder2016 - PRESENTNapsty, LLC
Technologies: AWS, GCP, Ansible, Terraform, Docker (et. al.), Jenkins, Chef, Ubuntu, Vagrant
- Worked with numerous firms in different fields to scope out a project with defined goals and milestones and perform the hands-on execution from start to finish.
- Built microservices-oriented architecture from scratch: Ansible-provisioned, Jenkins-managed, highly redundant docker cluster in AWS using Rancher+Cattle for hosting, and various tools for testing and monitoring (Postman, Stoplight, Swagger, NewRelic).
- Introduced the team to immutable deployments and CI/CD to deploy application and system code to systems via chef and Jenkins. Automated the entire process of machine provisioning and imaging to integrate with CI/CD pipelines. Added security by introducing VPN and ELB's to isolated VPC. Filed the gap of project manager to organize resources, upcoming work, and timelines.
- Migrated the dev team from SVN to Git and automated deployments/provisioning of systems with Jenkins, Ansible, and immutable system images. Introduced Scrum methodology to team. Migrated ~5 custom applications from co-lo to AWS and eased the management burden by offloading commodity needs to their managed services.
- Built out a large Splunk cluster from scratch using Ansible and AWS with strict requirements around security and audibility.
Lead Infrastructure Associate2011 - 2015Bridgewater Associates
Technologies: Cassandra, RHEL, JS, Ansible, AWS, Jenkins, Home-grown Apps, Java
- Designed, built, and supported a large (50TB+) Cassandra cluster.
- Led a team of five to build out great research tools and services.
- Built and supported investment research tools for the firm.
- Scaled back-end infrastructure 10x in short order.
- Reviewed and released 200+ service updates.
Systems Administrator/Project Manager2008 - 2011iFactory
Technologies: RHEL, Apache, Tomcat, Jenkins, Marklogic, MS SQL
- Built and scaled a collection of heterogeneous services with high SLA's.
- Managed several team members on web development projects involving high-traffic sites.
- Led internal IT initiatives, purchases, and installations. Drove virtualization efforts to reduce IT costs.
- Ensured minimal downtime in upgrades to high-availability applications and systems.
- Assisted in bringing in new business at an estimated $100k for a project that needed a complete redesign and implementation of their antiquated site using a new third-party CMS system.
- Collected requirements from clients for systems projects, generated specs and project plans, implemented, and migrated (if necessary). Deployed live and monitored application uptime and performance.
Web Developer/Systems Administrator2004 - 2009Daystar Computer Services
Technologies: RHEL, ASP.NET, Classic ASP, PHP
- Built a Dropbox-like tool before Dropbox had even been heard of.
- Managed 10-15 production servers in addition to providing programming services and support to clients.
- Supported local teams and provided on-site tech support where needed.
- Maintained sites, adding new features and bug fixes as needed.
Beowulf Cluster Administrator, Physics2007 - 2008University of New Hampshire
Technologies: OpenGGCM, Gentoo, FreeBSD
- Administered a high-capacity scientific research cluster for solar wind visualization research.