C++ Senior Software Developer2019 - PRESENTToptal Clients
Technologies: Debugging, Design Patterns, Data Structures, Algorithms, Microsoft Unit Tests, C++17, C++11, C++14, Multithreading, SQL, TCP/IP, Makefile, Make, Clang, GCC, GDB, Visual Studio, Windows, Linux, C++, Python, Python 3, Python API, ETL
- Ported a database software on Linux (Debian) from Go to C. The new database is more stable and much faster, loading 10 million records from disk in less time (by six times), using less memory. Wrote the documentation and built it, including most of the tests.
- Coded a C++ library to access SQL engines and process queries. Wrote tests, pairing each production class with a test class, ensuring quality. Brought new ideas to the existing client framework (C++, Visual Studio, Clang, CMake, SQL, and MS Tests).
- Worked on a DNS server system used by one of the largest internet gaming companies in the world, fixing bugs and optimizing the code (C++, C, GCC, Make, and Linux).
- Worked on developing a GIS mapping software, fixing bugs, and updating the code so it could use newer versions of third-party libraries (C++, GCC, Make, and Linux).
- Coded Python programs to automate business data processing. The code reads Excel spreadsheets, processes and merges their data into output spreadsheets, and generates PDF bulletins.
C++ Senior Software Engineer and Architect2016 - 2019GFI/Aurea
Technologies: Debugging, Design Patterns, Networking, Data Structures, Algorithms, C++17, C++14, C++11, Multithreading, Google, Ant, Make, GCC, Visual Studio, Processing & Threading, CODE, Kernel, Linux, Win32, Sockets, TCP/IP, Standard Template Library (STL), C++, Python, Python API, Python 3, Google Test, Unit Testing, MySQL
- Designed and coded features and fixed issues in the product for various projects for a network security software that monitors traffic and categorizes domains in order to prevent malware installations and non-productive web surfing during work hours.
- Worked on a product used by telecoms to optimize communication between the ISP and the customers. The project involved kernel code, TCP/IP network stack, C, C++, Linux, and low-level debugging (using GDB, Wireshark).
- Led and trained a C++ test team, reviewed their C++ code, and taught classes on testing and unit testing.
- Wrote several integration test suites and unit test suites for three different products.
- Wrote and delivered the test framework for one of the products. These projects involved Visual Studio, GCC, Make, CppUnit, Google Test, and Google Mock.
- Maintained the code of a sales and items configuration system.
- Proposed and coded the improvements and fixed bugs in the software.
- Improved the build time by parallelizing the build process.
- Wrote PowerShell scripts to automate some tasks in software development and test.
Technology Lead2014 - 2015Infosys
Technologies: Algorithms, Background Threading, JSON, XML, Sockets, TCP/IP, OCMock, MacOS, Xcode, Objective-C, Standard Template Library (STL), C++
- Developed a distributed system for quality control in Apple factories. The system runs on Mac OS X and is written in Objective-C. The project was developed in three countries and all documentation and communication were done in English.
- Mentored others on the team as I was one of the most experienced members.
- Proposed several of the features of the system and also coded them.
- Conducted technical interviews for recruiting and selected new members for the team.
Senior Software Developer2013 - 2014Tech Soft 3D
Technologies: Debugging, Design Patterns, Data Structures, Algorithms, GDB, GCC, Make, Visual Studio, Linux, Standard Template Library (STL), C++
- Built a C++ library to convert SketchUp files to the company's 3D graphics framework, which supports several platforms (iOS, Android, Linux, and Windows). My new version was much faster than the previous one (for some files over five times faster).
- Found a number of bugs with the API of the 3D design program (during the coding work) and helped the partner company to diagnose and reproduce them.
- Wrote unit tests for other parts of the framework and expanded some of the functionality.
Senior Software Developer2012 - 2013Riverbed
Technologies: Debugging, Data Structures, Design Patterns, Networking, Algorithms, Multithreading, Microsoft SQL Server, Boost, GDB, GCC, Make, MAPI, RPC, TCP/IP, Background Threading, Linux, Standard Template Library (STL), C++
- Worked on the development of Steelhead, a Riverbed solution to optimize WAN communication bandwidth and latency.
- Wrote a module in C++ to optimize connections between the exchange server and Outlook, one of the most used and popular features of the product. This module handled DCE/RPC and MAPI messages.
- Organized and hosted a recurrent series of talks about C++, OO design, and best practices. The series has been well received by the company’s developers and has helped to divulge new ideas and technologies.
- Fixed bugs and wrote documentation to assist the program management and QA teams.
Senior Software Developer2011 - 2012Vidder
Technologies: Debugging, Design Patterns, Data Structures, Networking, Algorithms, Agile, Scrum, Boost, Make, TCP/IP, Development, Background Threading, GDB, GCC, Visual Studio, Linux, Windows, Standard Template Library (STL), C++
- Worked on the development of a security suite that used encryption, access control, and security features.
- Worked in a team of two developers who wrote the Linux kernel module for IPv6 NAT; specifically writing the subsystem that checked server availability.
- Wrote some of the tools used for diagnosing and providing system information to the administrator.
- Fixed several bugs and refactored parts of the system.
- Interviewed several candidates for the QA and development teams.
- Helped create the tests and questions to evaluate the candidates.
- Taught classes that involved test-driven development (and unit tests) and introduced the junior members to best practices in C++ and object-oriented design.
Software Developer2010 - 2010Microsoft
Technologies: Data Structures, Debugging, Design Patterns, Networking, UML, HTTP, Background Threading, Processing & Threading, Visual Studio, COM, Windows, Standard Template Library (STL), C++, Unit Testing, Test-driven Development (TDD)
- Worked as a member of the AppV team—the application virtualization and streaming solution—specifically on the streaming component and transport modules.
- Participated in the requirements analysis meeting and in the design and code reviews.
- Wrote documents and designed specifications, including composing thousands of lines in C++ using COM, Windows APIs, and Visual Studio, creating dozens of tests for the code and bugs fixing.
Senior Software Developer2007 - 2010SVAM
Technologies: Debugging, Design Patterns, Networking, Data Structures, Algorithms, Parallel Programming, Multithreading, Low Latency, Qt Creator, Pthreads, Subversion (SVN), GDB, GCC, Domain-driven Design (DDD), Valgrind, Sockets, TCP/IP, Make, Shell Scripting, Shell, Linux, Solaris, AIX, Unix, Standard Template Library (STL), C, C++
- Worked on the architecture, coding, and tests for a low-latency news feed application for algorithmic trading. It delivers data to clients in milliseconds allowing faster-automated decisions. Skills: C++, Win32, Boost, TCP/IP, FTP, HTTP, and threads.
- Ported libraries from Java to C++ for Windows and Linux—resulting in about 10,000 lines of C++ code. The libraries used threads, TCP/IP sockets, and serialization.
- Optimized the libraries for performance and reorganized the API for simplicity.
- Redesigned the built environment from a collection of dozens of Makefiles to a single Makefile. The result was simpler and build times were reduced by 35%.
- Redesigned several parts of a monitoring system used to supervise and generate reports for Kodak industrial printers. The system ran on Unix, communicated with the equipment using SNMP. Skills: C, threads (Pthreads), and TCP/IP sockets.
- Designed, wrote the specifications and diagrams, and coded an application to control a print quality system based on a camera system. The application runs on Unix. Skills: C, threads (Pthreads), TCP/IP, and telnet protocol.
- Designed a tool in C++ to collect performance statistics from machines running Unix (AIX and Solaris) and display reports. It was used by managers to assess the capacity of numerous servers.
- Upgraded an application used for a mailing system so it would comply with USPS guidelines. This software is responsible for controlling the entire conveyor line system on the factory floor. Skills: C++, Unix, threads (Pthread), and TCP/IP sockets.
Production Analyst2005 - 2006Procwork
Technologies: Solaris, Unix, Shell Scripting, Shell, XML, SQL, Oracle, Java
- Provided systems support and maintenance to Sprint and Nextel for front-end applications responsible for sales, cancellations, plans modifications, and other operations.
- Analyzed and provided solutions to problems in production.
- Supported the helpdesk, which handled most of the simple support issues, by having my team responsible for investigating matters that affected the entire company.
- Analyzed Java code, shell scripts, database code, Oracle data tables, and OS logs.
- Wrote SQL programs to assist investigations and shell scripts to automate tasks. The entire team used these programs.
Software Developer (Contract)2002 - 2005Freelance Work
Technologies: AIX, Unix, GCC, ClearCase, Sockets, TCP, Microsoft Foundation Class Library (MFC), Win32, Microsoft Visual C++, C, C++
- Contributed to the design of a system that manages service calls, customer requests, distribution of tasks to field workers, and other features.
- Wrote the specifications and documents for features and tests and conducted interviews with the users and collected the business requirements.
- Developed the software management and security system for the Brazilian Supreme Electoral Court. It was written for Windows in C++ and consisted of device drivers, services and applications.
- Wrote a system to monitor file access in client workstations and report the usage to a central server. The system was written in C++ using Win32 and TCP/IP Sockets and was comprised of a Windows service that ran on the clients and an application on the server.
- Built an application in Visual C++ and MFC to verify the digital signatures of programs.
- Redesigned one of the main units of a system that enabled customers to be able to access their bank accounts at Brazilian Postal Service offices—increasing the performance. The system was written for AIX in C and C++ using Oasis IST software and Oracle.
Software Developer2001 - 2002StarDigital
- Delivered an application for tax planning for a beverage company. The application was written in Visual Basic as requested by the client.
Software Developer1999 - 2001Potencia Informatica
Technologies: Win32, Sockets, TCP, Windows CE, Windows, Microsoft Visual C++, C, C++
- Worked as the main developer in the build of an application in C++ and Win32; the client-server communication used RAS and Sockets.
- Collected and analyzed business requirements.
- Authored the specifications and documentation.
- Wrote about 50,000 lines of code.