Advisor2019 - PRESENTStealth Silicon Valley Startup, San Fracisco, CA, USA
Technologies: Terraform, Azure, DevOps, Git, TensorFlow, PyTorch, Deep Learning, Scikit-learn, Machine Learning, NoSQL, C++, C, Python
- Developed context-adaptive video coding framework for H.264 and H.265 in C, C++ driven by machine learning algorithms (PyTorch, TensorFlow).
- DevOps and architecture management for development and experimentation platform (Azure, Terraform).
Freelance Data Scientist2019 - PRESENTnextbike GmbH, Leipzig, Germany
Technologies: REST APIs, Scikit-learn, Flask, Python
- Contributed to a project for a shared mobility provider, specifically a bike sharing system. Built Python-based forecasting framework predicting the expected number of rentals and returns for each zone of a city in real time.
- Developed statistical methods for forecasting rental and return numbers per zone.
- Built predictive rebalancing framework, i.e. system deciding which bikes have to be moved from where to where for optimal service availability of the bike sharing system that calculates optimal tours for the service personnel (traveling salesman problem with multiple vehicles, as well as pickup and delivery constraints).
- Built REST API for the above frameworks in Python, using Python Flask framework.
- Integrated this solution into the client's infrastructure.
CTO2017 - 2019Stealth Silicon Valley Startup, San Fracisco, CA, USA
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Terraform, Microsoft Azure, AWS, GitLab, OpenCL, Objective-C, Assembly, C++, C, Python
- Co-founded and raised angel money and seed round (at $13.5 million valuation).
- Researched neuroscience-inspired signal processing techniques with a focus on image and video compression. Responsible for everything tech, managed team of five engineers. As scrum master, chose technologies and set coding standards, managed cloud infrastructure, did code reviews. Oversaw deep dives into engineering problems where necessary.
- Developed cross-platform (macOS, Linux) error-resilient video conferencing system tolerant to high levels of packet loss and changing channel conditions in C++.
- Developed cross-platform (macOS, Linux) high speed lossless and lossy ultra-low latency video compression algorithm (>2GB/s) on GPUs via OpenCL, with C++ wrappers.
- Developed machine learning techniques for the semantic analysis of video signals (using scikit-learn, pyTorch, TensorFlow).
- Developed custom H264 and H265 codecs.
- Developed a framework for managing cloud infrastructure on AWS and Azure via Terraform (infrastructure as code).
Postdoctoral Researcher2015 - 2017Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies, Frankfurt, Germany
Technologies: Git, LaTeX, MATLAB, Python
- Served in a research position in neuronal morphology modeling and data analysis.
- Published several research papers in the field of neuronal morphology, see https://scholar.google.de/citations?user=IpKlv7kAAAAJ.
- Co-developed open source Matlab toolbox "TREES toolbox 2", https://www.treestoolbox.org.
- Supervised MSc and Ph.D. students.
- Attended international conferences on computational neuroscience, invited talks at Harvard Center for Brain Research, Redwood Center for Computational Neuroscience, Berkeley, and others.
Backend developer, part time2013 - 2015modelogiq GmbH, Frankfurt, Germany
Technologies: Go, Clojure, Python
- Developed tools for automated financial modeling and spreadsheet generation.
Postdoctoral Researcher2011 - 2015Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences, Leipzig, Germany
Technologies: Git, LaTeX, Python
- Researched in mathematical neurobiology and computational neuroscience, focused on processes of self-organization in cortical neural networks and the fundamentals of learning (synaptic plasticity). Modeling and analysis of spiking neuron data.
- Taught courses in computational neuroscience and high-dimensional data analysis.
- Developed open source Python package hdnet, for high dimensional data analysis using Ising models, https://github.com/team-hdnet/hdnet.
- Published book chapter on information theoretic methods for data analysis, https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-1-4614-8785-2_5.
- Published several research papers in the field of computational neuroscience, see https://scholar.google.de/citations?user=IpKlv7kAAAAJ&hl=en.
Freelance Software Engineer2013 - 2014nextbike GmbH, Leipzig, Germany
Technologies: Android, Java
- Developed a data-driven Android application for service staff of bike sharing service.
- Developed a data-driven Android application that allows service personnel to see system status and to perform service and rebalancing operations.
- Advised on IT infrastructure (replication, fault tolerance, etc).
Ph.D. Level Researcher2007 - 2011University of Stuttgart, Germany
Technologies: Subversion (SVN), GAP, Perl, LaTeX
- Researched in fields of discrete topology, geometry and combinatorics. Grant by the German Research Foundation (DFG), Project Ku 1203/5.
- Authored open source software simpcomp, https://github.com/simpcomp-team/simpcomp.