Verified Expert in Engineering
Fernando is a versatile developer with experience working on large projects in fast-paced environments, following agile practices and TDD. His experience spans the entire project lifecycle—from the design phase to completion, continuously liaising with stakeholders, managing their expectations, and prioritizing tasks. Fernando's current focus is on Scala and functional programming. He is constantly learning and improving himself and enjoys mentoring and upskilling other members of his teams.
IntelliJ IDEA, Ubuntu, Slack, MacOS
The most amazing...
...thing I've built is Deliveroo's financial reporting platform.
Senior Software Engineer
- Developed a battery rental management system for renting portable batteries in South Africa.
- Built an ordering system for self-service kiosks in a pilot project for BP to upsell and recommend convenience items while users are charging their EV vehicles or refueling in a petrol station.
- Integrated our software with payment providers, namely Stripe and Planet Payment.
Senior Software Engineer
- Transformed the old offline ledger journals into a new data pipeline that processed and generated financial events, in real time, for the consumption of the finance department. The new system could process millions of events per minute.
- Built, improved, and maintained Deliveroo's financial reporting systems to ensure the accuracy and quality of financial data.
- Worked closely with stakeholders throughout the development cycle. Created technical design documents.
- Mentored junior colleagues to help them resolve problems and brought them up to speed. Coached and upskilled them.
University of Warwick
- Created and maintained several systems used by the student and staff bodies and the general public.
- Developed the Alternative Exams Portal, an online exam platform built during the COVID-19 pandemic under a tight deadline to replace in-person exams. The system handled over 10,000 concurrent sittings at peak times.
- Created a scholarship management system for the institution's scholarships, handling thousands of applications each year.
- Developed the module approval and module catalogue, bringing an entirely antiquated paper-based process into the 21st century, streamlining the whole process of module creation across every academic department.
- Played an essential role in developing a new search engine for the institution, Warwick Search, including a crawler to index information.
- Contributed to Sitebuilder, a CMS that managed all of the university's web pages, with a forum, event calendar, and booking capabilities.
- Communicated with customers, managed stakeholder expectations, and prioritized tasks.
Freelance Web Development
- Developed a Reddit-like social news aggregator in Python and Django.
- Created several PHP themes for various WordPress sites that I maintained.
- Built, hosted, and maintained static customer websites.
Oversaw the project from start to delivery, working alongside the project manager. Gathered requirements, wrote technical design documents, liaised with stakeholders, managed their expectations, and prioritized tasks. Led a group of three developers and interacted with QAs until the successful completion of the project.
Alternative Exams Portal
Search Engine for the University of Warwickhttps://search.warwick.ac.uk/
The project involved using React and Redux for the front end, Scala and Play for the back end, and working with Elasticsearch.
Play, ScalaMock, Akka, Hibernate, Spring, Spring Boot, JUnit, Redux, Play Framework, Django, Jest, Angular, gRPC
Slick, React, REST APIs, HTTP API, Node.js
ScalaTest, Git, typelevel.scala, Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), Bamboo, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), Terraform, IntelliJ IDEA, Puppet, CircleCI, Apache Maven
Test-driven Development (TDD), Agile Software Development, Requirements Analysis, Object-relational Mapping (ORM), Scalable Application, Microservices
PostgreSQL, Relational Databases, Elasticsearch, MySQL, Data Pipelines, Redis, MongoDB
APIs, Technical Documentation, Documentation, Software Architecture, Architecture, Full-stack, Web Development, Message Queues, HTTP, Back-end, Back-end Development, Product Leadership, Scalable Architecture, Software Design, Leadership, CI/CD Pipelines, Distributed Systems, Simulations, Machine Learning, Amazon RDS, WebSockets, Robotics
Apache Kafka, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, AWS Lambda, Ubuntu, WordPress
PhD in Computer Science
University of Sheffield - Sheffield, UK
Master's Degree in Physics
University of Santiago de Compostela - Santiago de Compostela, Spain
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring