Verified Expert in Engineering
Firtina is a full-stack software engineer and game developer. He has been coding since 1999, when he was only ten, and he is proficient in many languages and AWS solutions; he enjoys contributing to open source projects. Firtina has extensive experience setting up projects from scratch to deployment, maintaining them, and advising early-stage startups and game studios.
Windows, IntelliJ, Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Games, WebGL
The most amazing...
...things I have created are open source libraries that many thousands of people have used. One of them is the react-three-renderer.
Senior Creative Technologist
- Implemented an innovative context menu for the company's video conferencing software, enhancing user interactivity and overall user experience.
- Enhanced the user status display across Three.js, WebGL, React, and HTML platforms, contributing to an improved user interface and receiving constructive feedback from stakeholders.
- Actively engaged with stakeholders, designers, and team members, providing valuable feedback on technical decisions, UI/UX, and general company operations, driving the project toward success.
- Assumed responsibility for the comprehensive testing of every feature I developed, utilizing Jest for unit testing and Playwright for integration testing, significantly improving software quality and reliability.
- Traced and rectified software bugs, boosting the system's performance and stability while enhancing user satisfaction and experience.
- Participated in collaborative problem-solving and sophisticated design and requirements reviews for React, TypeScript, and a custom WebGL-based online meetings page.
- Developed a chatbot using TypeScript that allowed the client's users to benefit from a streamlined resume-building process, resulting in positive feedback from the client and increased ease in creating powerful bullet points.
- Maintained open communication with the client throughout the development process of a chatbot, creating a functional prototype and iterating on the development in an agile manner based on feedback from the client.
- Ensured that the interface of the chatbot matched the client's website, iterating on design with the client's feedback to ensure their satisfaction with the final product.
- Developed and implemented additional prompts and personalities tailored to different end-users of the client's website using the client's product, resulting in a more personalized and engaging user experience.
- Utilized the client's product to generate this comprehensive list of bullet points, showcasing my ability to effectively utilize the tool for various purposes.
Synthesis AI, Inc
- Developed an app using React and Three.js that helps users customize scenes in a virtual environment and allows them to draw regions and generate objects within a scene.
- Worked with engineers, QAs, project managers, and other team members to ensure the functionality and performance were desirable and fruitful.
- Used Jira, Git, TypeScript, and Slack for contributions and communication.
- Developed multiple products, such as a 360 scene editor and a 360 scene player.
- Created multiple AWS Lambda functions to process files and update state. These include video and image processing for compression and formatting.
- Resolved many issues in the existing products and features.
- Used C++ and proprietary languages to work on a game developed by Criterion Games.
- Worked close to the engine to enable functionality with other game systems.
- Collaborated with other engineers, technical artists, designers, and producers.
- Set up performance measurements and benchmarks for myself and others to assess how our contributions affected the game's performance.
- Used C++, C# (Unity), and Java to develop a custom video player solution on the Android platform, with bespoke functionality and performance requirements.
- Integrated the Android functionality onto a new game that the company is developing. The game was initially developed for iOS.
- Worked with Google Play Services, Firebase, custom build systems, and so on. Enabled the developers to have the same experience they are used to with iOS.
- Participated with other entrepreneurs to form founding teams for companies.
- Took business administration, marketing, design, and prototyping classes.
- Brainstormed ideas and created a lot of prototypes and MVPs. Validated prototypes with customers and arranged interviews within various industries to discover potential needs and what may drive them to be customers.
- Advised the peer companies in getting their tech started and running.
- Integrated Improbable SDK into the Unity, Unreal engines, and AAA studios' in-house engine technologies and tools. Mainly used C#, C++, and Lua.
- Performed interviews for future employees, helped decide who to hire next, and mentored other developers about the industry.
- Decided on and contributed to design choices for the company's future tech aspects.
- Visited customers in various parts of the UK, Europe, and China, to see how they made their games and improve how Improbable's tech could aid them.
- Improved the Unity engine's stability, which required a deep understanding of all parts of the product.
- Used software engineering and programming best practices for C++ and C# to ensure the company's high quality of code.
- Found the causes of the most challenging bugs and fixed them. The main areas of expertise were: core, physics, graphics, user experience, and code readability and maintainability.
- Created marketing games and 2D or 3D visualizations using Unity, C#, and D3.js.
- Evolved in the company and became a consultant for other developers in the company.
- Developed a couponing system for subscription billing, using PHP and Angular for the front end and Java for the back end. It was deployed to production and happily used by the customers.
- Created a custom CMS solution for one of the customers. They transferred their old system to the one that we built.
- Created custom charting solutions using D3.js. Used real-time data from customers to represent their billing statistics and metrics.
- Set up AWS ECS deployments for the website of the company. It served all of the company's customers.
- Created REST APIs and documentation for these APIs. They are still live today.
React Three Rendererhttps://github.com/toxicFork/react-three-renderer
This project required me to understand how React works internally to create a copy of their original DOM renderer.
Unity Plane Clippinghttps://github.com/toxicFork/Unity3D-Plane-Clipping
I wrote a tutorial to accompany the project: www.toxicfork.com/194/per-object-clipping-planes-shader-in-unity3d-5
Unity 2D Joint Editorshttps://github.com/toxicFork/Unity-2D-Joint-Editors
Unity Texture Atlas Slicerhttps://github.com/toxicFork/Unity3D-TextureAtlasSlicer
Open-source. Built using TypeScript, Node.js, MongoDB, Weaviate, Pinecone, Google Vision, and other AI technologies.
The project is active and allows many conversations from Discord users.
I have built a custom permanent memory system using vector embeddings and finding the most relevant messages for the user's input.
This project taught me how to craft effective prompts for GPT and other LLMs.
Another site for the project: www.erin.ac/?ref=toptal
Unity, Unity3D, Next.js, Express.js, React Native, ASM, Unreal Engine, Angular, AngularJS, Ruby on Rails (RoR)
Three.js, Node.js, React, REST APIs, WebGL, HTML5 Canvas, Stripe, Stripe API, D3.js, NDK, RequireJS, OpenGL
IntelliJ, Canvas 2D, Visual Studio, Canvas, IntelliJ IDEA, Android NDK, Bower, Git, Jira
Parallel Programming, Human-computer Interaction (HCI), Testing, Mobile Development, Responsive, Responsive Web Design (RWD), MVC Design, REST
Android, Web, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS Lambda, iOS, Mobile, Windows, Firebase, Azure, Amazon EC2, Docker, Heroku
JSON, MongoDB, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Google Cloud, MySQL
Software Development, Async/Await, Game Development, Webhooks, APIs, Full-stack, Web Development, API Integration, Web Services, Integration, ChatGPT, Software Architecture, Front-end Development, Full-stack Development, Games, OpenAI GPT-3 API, 3D, OpenAI GPT-4 API, Front-end, Web UI, GUI, Computer Graphics, 3D Graphics Engines, HTML Canvas, Architecture, Chatbots, Natural Language Processing (NLP), GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT), Styled-components, ESLint, Unity3D Native Plugin Interface, Google Play Console, Serverless, User Experience (UX), User Interface (UI), SOAP, OpenAI, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Search, Large Language Models (LLMs), Technical Leadership, CI/CD Pipelines, Monorepos, Amazon Chime, Storybook, Web UX
Honors Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
University of Bath - Bath, United Kingdom