Verified Expert in Engineering
Foo is an experienced software engineer specializing in back-end architecture, Python microservices, big data, ETL, reporting services, Docker, and Kubernetes. He increased operations efficiency by 400% after automating a significant portion of the workflow, reducing hours of manual processing time to mere minutes for a large client. Foo understands how to scale companies smoothly with robust, reliable service architecture.
Data Pipelines, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Apache Kafka, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Docker, Python
The most amazing...
...company and software project I founded for the greentech industry is called Carbonflow. We were early adopters of AWS and Grails that users loved.
Principal Software Engineer
- Created multiple Python/Flask/SQLAlchemy API microservices to split off the monolith system. Streamlined existing processes with product management.
- Increased operations efficiency by 400% after automating most of the workflow. Hours of manual processing time turned to minutes. Eventually, nearly everything was automated with alerts issued only when exceptions in workflow occurred.
- Integrated new microservices with third-party APIs: DocuSign (e-signatures), Onfido (ID verification), SendGrid (emails), & Corelogic (background checks). Worked with front-end engineers on the user experience to seamlessly integrate these products.
- Collaborated with product management to define specifications on product features and delivery dates. Communicated early when specifications weren't clear or when trade-offs were needed for on-time delivery.
- Built a back-end chat product feature so potential and existing customers could interact with the customer care team and landlords on our platform.
- Managed the offshore team to integrate the existing product with new microservices.
- Introduced Docker into the development and DevOps workflow, making engineers more agile, quicker to set up, and easier to integrate into the workflow.
Staff Software Engineer
- Introduced a Kafka data pipeline that streamed 1.4 billion events per day into various topics for reporting, data science needs, and archival.
- Developed a polyglot reporting API service using the Play Framework and Scala for customer-facing dashboard and internal reporting usage.
- Scaled an external data collection service that collected hundreds of millions of events a day for real-time stream processing and micro-batching into Redshift with Scala and Node.js.
- Provided guidance on system architecture within the data pipeline.
- Built Docker containers for use in testing and development used in other groups.
- Maintained two Kafka clusters in different AWS VPCs and implemented Secor for backing up Kafka to Amazon S3.
- Re-architected a non-performant Ruby on Rails photo-sharing mobile app by migrating storage and deployment to AWS.
- Revised queries between MySQL and Apache Solr to optimize performance. Analyzed and eliminated bottlenecks to increase stability and performance.
- Developed Juggernaut/Redis deployment for Websocket communications.
- Utilized AngularJS to re-architect the UI using a REST API to revitalize the product into a single-page app.
- Integrated the Yahoo Placefinder service for geolocation and Bing Maps for showing locations.
Senior Application Engineer
- Served as a founding engineer. Architected the cloud-based project, document management, and financial forecasting software for the carbon offset market.
- Oversaw technology decisions to use AWS (when it was still relatively new), Grails, Groovy, AJAX, and MySQL.
- Developed IT and operational servers such as SVN and Trac for San Francisco and worldwide satellite offices.
- Collaborated with the CEO and other subject matter experts in gathering requirements, data modeling, coding business logic, and UI design.
- Built web services using WS-I compliant WSDL using XML Schema and published to integration partners and users.
- Assessed customer needs, delivered functional specifications, and code for fast turn-around delivery.
- Developed a new internal web service API, leveraging annotations available in EJB 3.0 and JAX-WS on the JBoss 4.0.5 application server platform.
- Created regression tests for monitoring production.
- Built tools to help customer service become more agile to customer needs.
Podcast Ad Network Reporting and Architecturehttps://up.audio
Back-end Microservices with Docker
Web Programming, API Integration, APIs, Software Architecture, Software Development, Programming Languages, Data Warehousing, DocuSign, WebSockets, Ajax, Data Warehouse Design, Enterprise Java Beans (EJB)
Flask, Spark, Play Framework, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Angular, Grails, Apache Axis
SQLAlchemy, jQuery, SendGrid API, Node.js, JAX-WS
ETL, Web Architecture
Apache Kafka, Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Kubernetes, JBoss
MySQL, Redshift, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Data Pipelines
Flume, Apache Solr
Master of Science Degree in Computer Science
University of California - Davis, California, USA
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science and Engineering
University of California - Davis, California, USA