Senior Engineer2021 - PRESENTPlaymake
Technologies: Lua, Roblox, Python 3, Google Sheets, Google Sheets API, Git, cURL Command Line Tool
- Developed the core economy and progression systems (gacha, offers, missions, and battle pass) to improve monetization and engagement metrics.
- Analyzed the data of released features to determine their value and success for future products and decide whether to keep or cut them.
- Developed analytics collection tools to collate and present comparative analytics, comparing our titles to the top platform titles to see if our growth is better, worse, or equal.
Technical Manager2020 - 2021PikPok
Technologies: Management, Unity3D, Unity, C#, Python 3, iOS, Android, Leadership, Plastic SCM, Git, Subversion (SVN), Game Development, Mobile Game Development, Agile, AWS
- Managed six members of the technical team from diverse backgrounds, seniority, projects, and skillsets.
- Designed and presented training materials for junior game programmers.
- Assisted in the interview process, candidate screening, technical screening, and onboarding of new staff.
- Managed the performance management for an underperforming member of the staff, leading to an improvement in engagement and performance.
- Supported under-represented groups and provided them with the tools to elevate issues and see their progress.
- Participated in a small task force working to improve agile processes across the studio.
Senior Game Programmer2017 - 2020PikPok
Technologies: Unity Networking & LAN, JetBrains Rider, Mobile Game Development, SQLAlchemy, AWS, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Python 3, C++11, iOS, Android, C#, Agile, Game Development, Subversion (SVN), Git, Xbox, PS4, Mobile, Objective-C, C++, Unity, Leadership
- Led a team of eight programmers to release Phar Lap: Horse Racing Challenge on Xbox One, PS4, and Switch, and continued to lead the team for its release on Android and iOS as Rival Stars: Horse Racing, with >100,000 DAU.
- Wrote a native voice chat plugin for PS4 that supported eight-player star topology peer-to-peer multiplayer. This is available on the Playstation developer forums and is being used by other Unity developers.
- Built a tutorial system for Dungeon Inc that is flexible and now exists in four projects. It was presented at the New Zealand Game Developers Conference on Tutorial Systems.
- Built a limited-time offer system for Rival Stars: Horse Racing that allows game designers to create custom offers on the fly and deliver them via server payloads.
- Designed a robust architecture for Rival Stars: Horse Racing in order to support offline builds for consoles and server-authoritative builds for mobile devices.
- Developed an optimized logging system that will produce zero allocations in release builds and allows different log levels per category, which currently exists in multiple projects.
- Developed a prototype augmented reality mode for Rival Stars: Horse Racing that is now a fully-featured part of the released game, increasing engagement across our social channels.
Unity Client Developer2016 - 2017Goodgame Studios
Technologies: Mobile Game Development, iOS, Android, Agile, Game Development, Mercurial, Mobile, C#, Unity
- Refactored the tutorial system in collaboration with the original developer to ensure its continued flexibility.
- Worked closely with VFX and SFX teams to develop a tool that allows them to add their effects quickly and easily. Both VFX and SFX teams used the same system.
- Optimized the skill system code by refactoring the third-party code for the Node-based editor to reduce frame delays.
Game Programmer2011 - 2016CerebralFix
Technologies: C++98, ActionScript 3, Perforce, Mobile, AWS, Amazon Web Services (AWS), C++11, iOS, Android, C#, Agile, Game Development, Flash ActionScript, Mobile Game Development, Git, Objective-C, C++, Unity
- Built a Lua-based tutorial system for Primal Rivals in C++, allowing tutorial changes to be delivered to the client via content download. This allowed us to improve our new user funnel rate by 10% without deploying a new binary.
- Developed a C# TCP server for real-time asynchronous gameplay in Primal Rivals and deployed it to AWS.
- Developed a Club Penguin minigame for Disney in C++ that had good responses from user testing and the Club Penguin community.
- Optimized the scripting in The Good Dinosaur: Dino Crossing to completely remove noticeable frame drops due to garbage collection.