CTO, Co-founder2018 - PRESENTNexedu
Technologies: Node.js, Express, MongoDB, Angular, NativeScript, Firebase, Redis
- Defined architecture.
- Implemented critical functionality.
- Conducted technical interviews.
- Mentored junior developers.
- Participated in the business path for the application.
- Aligned technical backlog to meet business needs.
Full-stack Developer2016 - PRESENTUnreel.co (via Toptal)
Technologies: AngularJS, Node.js, Express, MongoDB, Stripe, PayPal
- Implemented business logic and UI components according to the definitions of the PO.
- Completed a redesign and refactoring of the payment layer, migrating from Braintree to Stripe and PayPal.
Founder2015 - PRESENTEl Facturero
Technologies: MEAN stack
- Defined the whole architecture stack.
- Analyzed requirements and defined the product backlog.
- Designed and implemented the end-to-end solution.
Full-stack Developer2016 - 2016Monthly Treasure (via Toptal)
Technologies: Node.js, Mongoose, MongoDB, React Native, PostgreSQL
- Implemented business logic exposed through REST services that were consumed by a React Native app.
- Integrated app with Stripe for collecting payments.
Senior Full-stack Engineer2014 - 2014Fiestah (via Toptal)
Technologies: Node.js, Express, Angular, MongoDB
- Implemented new functionality to allow non-registered users to make payments throw the platform.
- Migrated several existing pages to a single-page application using Angular.
- Adapted the back-end application and data model for new feature requirements.
Software Architect2012 - 2014Arris
Technologies: Java, Spring, Hazelcast, JPA, JBPM, Node.js, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Oracle
- Implemented a continuous deployment strategy for applications, running automatic integration tests upon successful builds and deployments.
- Defined the architecture of new features.
- Outlined the product backlog and roadmap for the implementation of new features.
- Mentored junior devs.
- Conducted technical interviews for new candidates.
Software Architect2012 - 2013Motorola Mobility
Technologies: Java, Spring, Hibernate, MyBatis, Maven, Oracle
- Provided technical assistance and mentoring to development teams.
- Refactored main architectural layers in a legacy application in order to improve design and maintainability.
- Defined architecture for new features.
Technical Lead2010 - 2012Band of Coders
Technologies: Java, Spring, Maven, Node.js, Membase, Memcached
- Defined and executed load tests, profiling the application.
- Migrated a Java back-end to Node.js, comparing efficiency via the same set of load tests.
- Implemented TDD and extensive unit-test coverage.
- Integrated applications in different languages such as Unity3D, Flash, Java, and Node.js.
- Built several proof of concepts in order to evaluate the most suitable technologies for the project's needs.
Technical Lead2007 - 2010OSDE
Technologies: Java, Spring, CXF, REST, Hibernate, Drools, SOA, OSWorkflow
- Translated functional requirements into formal requirements and tracked them in user stories.
- Evaluated technologies for meeting the expectations of a distributed business rules engine.
- Participated actively in the definition and migration of a majority of the company's applications to a service-oriented architecture.
Software Developer2006 - 2006Citibank
Technologies: Java, Struts, Quartz, Oracle, SVN
- Supported production in Latin America.
- Fixed bugs and corrected critical errors with short resolution times.
- Maintained an extremely close interaction with final users.
Software Developer2005 - 2006Cubika
Technologies: Java, OSWorkflow, Spring, Quartz, EJB
- Improved and redesigned a proprietary CMS.
- Developed rich internet applications with a proprietary framework.
Software Developer2004 - 2005Soft Systems
Technologies: VB6, TransactSQL, MS SQL Server
- Analyzed, designed, and implemented desktop and client-server applications.
Web Developer2003 - 2004Red-Banca
- Developed and maintained the company website.
- Nexedu (Development)http://nexedu.com.ar
Nexedu is a communication platform for schools. It brings together all the players in the educative community keeping students and guardians in the loop. Think of a communication notebook on your cell phone. Guardians and students are immediately notified about any event or news sent by schools. I architected and designed the whole platform, coaching junior developers to build a tool that today is used by more than 30 schools in Argentina.
- Unreel (Development)http://unreel.me
Worked as part of a distributed team for building a video aggregator platform that allowed creators to deliver their content to multiple devices including mobiles and TVs and monetize it.
- El Facturero (Development)http://elfacturero.com.ar
This is my own startup, integrated with the Argentinean IRS agency, which helps SMEs to manage their business and submit legal electronic invoices and other statements.
- Fiestah (Development)
I took over the project for implementing new functionality required to allow non-registered customers to make payments through the platform and adding new use cases. I also migrated several main views to a single-page application with Angular.
- Grunt-rpm (Development)https://github.com/gastonelhordoy/grunt-rpm
A Grunt plugin to create an RPM out of a project for distribution and installation.
- Gaston is a mentor in the Toptal Global Mentor’s Program. This program is a partnership between Toptal and General Assembly to provide high quality mentorship for students from minority and low income backgrounds who are looking to begin their careers as professional software engineers. Gaston shows commitment to diversity in tech by mentoring a General Assembly student every week for a year, covering everything from coding tips and tricks to advice on making it in the industry.
FrameworksExpress.js, AngularJS, Hibernate, JPA, JBehave, Spring, Bootstrap 3, Bootstrap, Java Agent DEvelopment (JADE), GWT, Angular, NativeScript
Libraries/APIsSocket.IO, Node.js, AngularUI, Facebook Open Graph API, Vue.js
ToolsEclipse IDE, Subversion (SVN), Sublime Text, Mongoose, SoapUI, Git, Apache Solr, Jenkins, Sonar
ParadigmsREST, Concurrent Programming, Service-oriented Architecture (SOA), Agile Software Development, Event-driven Programming
PlatformsJava EE, Windows, Heroku, Iron.io, MacOS, Linux, Algolia, Meteor
StorageMongoDB, MySQL, Redis, NoSQL, Memcached
OtherES6 Promises, Architecture
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering2007 - 2008Palermo University - Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Tertiary degree in Computer Engineering2002 - 2005ORT Institute of Technology - Buenos Aires, Argentina