Consultant and Blockchain Developer2018 - 2019NDA (via Toptal)
Technologies: Python, Django, Blockchain, Crypto
- Refactored a large legacy codebase.
- Helped guide business and architecture decisions.
- Designed and implemented a distributed architecture.
- Fixed lots of security bugs.
- Uncovered business-level vulnerabilities.
Senior Consultant2018 - 2018Universal Music Group
Technologies: GCP, Python
- Refactored a Python tool.
Co-founder, CTO, CEO2014 - 2018Buffered.com
Technologies: OpenVPN, Django, Python, wxPython, Kivy, Linux
- Singlehandedly designed and implemented the MVP.
- Designed the network and APIs as well as desktop clients.
- Ran the development team through the company's lifetime.
- Ran the company as managing director (CEO).
Software Engineer, Interviewer2011 - 2014Toptal, LLC
Technologies: Jinja, Django, OpenSSL, OpenVPN, wxPython
- Implemented several simple websites for personal projects using Django and Jinja2.
- Implemented OpenVPN based desktop software using wxPython, OpenVPN, and OpenSSL.
- Interviewed a large number of candidates and overhauled the interview process.
Head of Media Platform Development2010 - 2011DuoDecad, LLC, Media Platform Division
Technologies: AMF, RTMP, Linux, C, Python 3, Libav
- Worked as the only developer (for the first eight months) on an alternative video streaming platform to Adobe Flash Media Server (primary goal of the media platform division (MPD)).
- Achieved our goal within a year using unofficial documentation of the protocol and manual reversing.
- Designed and implemented livestream distribution and conversion architecture in Python 3.
- Optimized to allow one node to serve more than 100 thousand clients using approximately 10Gbit/s.
- Supported on-the-fly transcoding of incoming audio and video.
- Benchmarked performance and moved heavy-lifting code to C.
- Integrated several Libav libraries into Python for stream conversion.
- Researched and assisted in hardware acquisitions for the project.
- Devised a custom event-driven interface with custom socket handling for Python, including FLV format handlers.
- Detected bugs in Adobe formats and in Libav format.
- Administered MPD's machines (about 80).
- Tuned machines for maximum network performance.
- Lectured on IT security, MPD's project, and Python programming.
- Iterated until peak performance of the cluster was almost 100Gb. With 30 machines, it would have been capable of completely taking over the existing streaming cluster (100+ nodes).
IT Security Specialist2008 - 2010DuoDecad, LLC, IT Security Division
Technologies: C, Linux Virtual Server (LVS), Keepalived, iptables, Linux
- Performed software audits, penetration tests, and stress tests.
- Implemented failover architecture for the main website.
- Assisted our partner company in acquiring Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS) compliance.
- Devised company policies for PCI-DSS, developed architecture, and held educational sessions as part of IT security staff.
- Benchmarked Linux kernel's behavior when presented with high volumes of DDoS traffic. Tuned and patched the kernel to achieve maximum resilience.
- Worked as a member of the incident response team.
- Developed a network analyzer in C which created real-time statistics of incoming HTTP requests and pinpointed attackers.
- Ported old OpenSSH fork modifications to the latest version.
IT Operator2008 - 2008DuoDecad, LLC, IT Security Division
- Helped with administration of several hundred Linux machines.
- Led support for kernel and network-related issues.
- Wrote small scripts in bash for administrative purposes.