Infrastructure as Code (IaC) Developer
Glenn is a talented professional with expertise combining development and operations stacks. His specialties include DevOps, product support, on-call, and systems reliability roles. His work has helped large companies such as IBM improve their systems, automate architecture, and significantly reduce costs. Glenn loves technology and considers himself a generalist. His passion lies in driving efficiencies that allow changes to roll from conception to customer use as quickly as possible.
ExperienceInfrastructure as Code (IaC) - 9 yearsAmazon Web Services (AWS) - 9 yearsTerraform - 6 yearsContinuous Integration (CI) - 6 yearsHIPAA Compliance - 6 yearsDocker - 6 yearsPython - 3 yearsKubernetes - 1 year
Amazon Web Services (AWS), New Relic, Secure Automated Lending Technology (SALT), Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby, Python, Django, Datadog, Sentry, CircleCI, Jenkins, Chef, Puppet, Terraform
The most amazing...
...technical accomplishment I've delivered is a fully automated clone of RDS that I built on EC2 with Terraform (RDS was not HIPAA compliant at the time).
Absolute Integrity, LLC.
- Introduced autoscaling in Kubernetes using Horizontal Pod Autoscaler with custom metrics.
- Built infrastructure and CI pipelines for several startups using AWS ECS, AWS Fargate, AWS Cognito, AWS Beanstalk, and AWS Code Deploy.
- Assisted with setting up observability/metrics and an error notification framework for a number of startups using AWS CloudWatch logs and metrics, Sentry, and Slack Integrations.
- Developed a passwordless authentication and permissioning service using the Django Rest framework, Django Permissions, Django-guardian, AWS Cognito, and AWS Lambda.
Manager of Systems Reliability and DevOps
- Ran the agile project planning and prioritization, and reported to leadership for a team of five.
- Managed vendor relationships (AWS, New Relic, Datadog).
- Supported infrastructure for an application with over 2000 B2B customers seeing more than 100,000 requests per minute.
- Introduced 'infrastructure as code' and migrated all infrastructure to be managed by Terraform.
- Took the company from seeing weekly service interruptions to 99.98% uptime.
- Migrated the Django web-stack to run on Docker under AWS ECS.
- Reduced infrastructure costs from $100,000/month to $50,000/month by incorporating AWS Spot instances, autoscaling, and right-sizing a number of over-provisioned instances.
- Introduced HIPAA security standards and worked with external auditors to achieve HIPAA's HITRUST certification.
DevOps Team Lead
Genesys (Previously Interactive Intelligence)
- Led the infrastructure automation and CI side of the engineering department.
- Supported the build-out of a greenfield project to migrate the existing primary revenue product (requiring on-site installation) to a SaaS-based platform.
- Oversaw the agile project planning, prioritization, and work assignment for a team of three.
Software Engineer - Systems Engineering
- Built out infrastructure management automation using Puppet.
- Developed a CI workflow that moved the company from quarterly, all-hands, overnight deployments to weekly push-button deployments.
- Wrote a Jira plugin that allowed developers to push a button in a Jira ticket to build out an environment and deploy code branches associated with the ticket. These environments were used for QA and would spin down when the Jira ticket was closed.
- Developed web-based tooling for internal support teams.
- Assisted with the outbuilding and maintenance of data center hardware.
- Led the migration of the team development environment from Windows to Linux.
Autoscaling Kubernetes Pods
AWS HA, Django, Ruby on Rails (RoR)
AWS IAM, Amazon EBS, SaltStack, Terraform, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), Vagrant, Puppet, Chef, Jenkins, CircleCI, Sentry, Amazon Cognito, AWS CloudFormation, Ansible
Continuous Integration (CI), HIPAA Compliance
Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS), New Relic, KVM, Kubernetes
Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Datadog
Infrastructure as Code (IaC), Secure Automated Lending Technology (SALT), Serverless
Java, Python, Ruby
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
North Carolina State University - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA