MariaDB Database Administrator (DBA)2018 - 2020Shutterstock
Technologies: SQL Triggers, SQL, Amazon Web Services (AWS), KVM, CentOS, ZFS, MariaDB, MySQL DBA, MySQL, Performance Optimization, Performance Tuning, Query Optimization, Optimization, AWS RDS
- Migrated and updated a part of a large database estate (dozens of replica sets, hundreds of servers, hundreds of TBs of data) from bare-metal servers in multiple data centers to AWS and self-hosted KVM.
- Used ZFS snapshot sending, XtraBackup, and mysqldump for large-scale data migration, depending on what was available and most appropriate for each server.
- Installed a continuous incremental backup regime with hourly restore granularity using ZFS snapshot sending via sanoid/syncoid.
- Implemented Percona monitoring and management (PMM).
Senior Database Architect2014 - 2019Pure360
Technologies: SQL, VMware ESXi, Perl, Linux, ZFS, Amazon Web Services (AWS), MySQL, Performance Optimization, Query Optimization, Performance Tuning, MariaDB, Optimization, AWS RDS
- Redesigned a large MySQL database estate running on RedHat/CentOS Linux.
- Alleviated concurrency contention bottlenecks in InnoDB, rewrote queries to improve efficiency, and improved indexes.
- Tuned storage alignment, MySQL, and OS-level configuration and used ZFS to further improve performance and operational features.
- Delivered performance improvement of 12x (1,200%).
- Extensively tested the performance impact of moving to different cloud providers including AWS (Xen) and ESXi-based ones.
MySQL Database Administrator (DBA)2016 - 2018UKCloud
Technologies: SQL, CentOS, PostgreSQL, Galera Cluster, MariaDB, MySQL, MySQL DBA, Performance Optimization, Performance Tuning, Query Optimization, Optimization
- Troubleshot and optimized the database estate consisting of Galera/MariaDB and MySQL server clusters on a large VMware ESXi server estate.
- Improved the run times of a number of regularly recurring tasks from hours down to minutes.
- Deployed new high-availability PostgreSQL and MariaDB clusters.
- Used DevOps methods to improve consistency and reliability.
- Migrated legacy MariaDB/Ubuntu systems to PostgreSQL/CentOS-based replacements.
Database Specialist2017 - 2017Investis
Technologies: SQL Triggers, SQL Stored Procedures, SQL, Amazon Web Services (AWS), PostgreSQL, MySQL, Performance Optimization, Performance Tuning, Query Optimization, Optimization, AWS RDS
- Delivered performance optimizations in the client's stored procedures on their MySQL RDS databases.
- Developed existing operations on their PostgreSQL RDS databases.
- Built overall database performance improvements in the 10x to 50x range compared to original implementations.
MySQL Database Administrator (DBA)2016 - 2016Rise Projects
Technologies: SQL Triggers, SQL Stored Procedures, SQL, Amazon Web Services (AWS), MySQL, MySQL DBA, Performance Optimization, Performance Tuning, Query Optimization, Optimization, AWS RDS
- Resolved database throughput bottlenecks (AWS, RDS, MySQL).
- Achieved a 100x (10,000%) increase in database throughput in the first three days with minimal application changes.
- Reimplemented the gathering of application dashboard statistics to be asynchronous, which alleviated a number of deadlocking hotspots.
Data Architect2015 - 2016DVSA
Technologies: SQL Triggers, SQL Stored Procedures, SQL, Perl, Amazon Web Services (AWS), MySQL, MySQL DBA, Performance Tuning, AWS RDS
- Steered, as the database architecture specialist, the database design and implementation delivered by three separate suppliers across four separate projects.
- Established processes to ensure that the back-end database solutions are maintainable, robust, and capable of performing in line with challenging availability and performance requirements over the long-term lifecycle of the system.
- Oversaw the migration of databases from the previous cloud service provider to AWS (RDS).
- Designed an exhaustive audit superstructure using shadow tables and triggers to be attached to the existing database design with minimal changes to both the database and the application stack above it.
Systems Architect | Administrator2013 - 2014Moorfields Eye Hospital
Technologies: SQL, RHEL, MySQL DBA
- Architected a high availability managed service platform for the OpenEyes project, based on RedHat Enterprise Linux 6/RedSleeve, Linux 6, and VServer.
MySQL Database Engineer2012 - 2013Adfonic
Technologies: SQL Triggers, SQL Stored Procedures, SQL, Percona, MariaDB, MySQL Clustering, MySQL DBA, Performance Optimization, Performance Tuning, Query Optimization, Optimization
- Optimized and improved the database infrastructure containing approximately 100 TB of data, based on RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 and MySQL (variants including Percona, MySQL, MariaDB, and MySQL Cluster).
- Worked with compressed archive databases residing on a GlusterFS storage pool. Automated tasks using Perl and Bash scripts.
- Implemented a selective, versioned backup system for MySQL database structures.
- Developed an in-database job scheduler using stored procedures and scheduled events to facilitate parallelization of stored procedures to better leverage multi-core hardware.
- Designed and implemented a new database ingress solution to boost the data throughput capacity from the old bottleneck of 170,000 transactions/second to several times that figure.
ISP Developer2012 - 2012BSkyB
Technologies: SQL, Perl
- Worked on improving and optimising performance of the firmware update system for broadband devices.
MySQL Developer and Database Administrator (DBA)2012 - 2012Cube 19
Technologies: SQL Triggers, SQL Stored Procedures, SQL, Linux, MySQL, MySQL DBA, Performance Optimization, Performance Tuning, Query Optimization, Optimization
- Developed stored procedures and optimized the MySQL database performance of the client's business intelligence data warehouse system.
- Tuned MySQL server and Linux OS; optimized indexes, rewrote queries and implemented materialized views maintained by triggers.
- Delivered performance improvements of around 24x (2,400%).
Unix Platform Architect2008 - 2012Atos
Technologies: SQL, Perl, Solaris, RHEL, MySQL, MySQL DBA
- Designed and implemented new systems for the BBC. Projects involved load balancing technologies (Inlab's Balance and BalanceNG and Linux kernel level load balancing using LNLB). The platforms used were Solaris and RedHat Linux.
- Updated LNLB code to be compatible with later kernels.
- Resolved a major BBC iPlayer outage and rectified the complex MySQL database problem that caused it.
Senior Database Administrator (DBA)2011 - 2011Lumesse
Technologies: SQL, VMware ESXi, VMware, RHEL, MySQL, MySQL DBA, Performance Optimization, Performance Tuning, Query Optimization, Optimization
- Resolved stability issues, improved the performance, and redesigned the server estate to ensure long term supportability of a client's replicated MySQL databases.
- Resolved a long-term recurring table corruption issue.
- Improved the performance of the database stack by over 20x (2,000%) on the same hardware and same VMware ESX platform. This enabled the massive reduction in size (and cost) of the MySQL server estate while still providing better performance.
- Upgraded MySQL servers from 5.0 running on Debian Linux to 5.1 running on RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 with negligible downtime.
MySQL Database Architect2010 - 2010Transactis
Technologies: SQL, VMware ESXi, Solaris, RHEL, MySQL, MySQL DBA, Performance Optimization, Performance Tuning, Query Optimization, Optimization
- Optimized MySQL databases to meet the performance requirements in time for the launch of the software product.
- Tuned the entire application stack including VMware configuration, Solaris and RedHat Linux, NAS MySQL, table structures, queries, and stored procedures.
- Achieved performance improvements of several orders of magnitude.
Senior Database Administrator (DBA)2010 - 2010Via Vox
Technologies: SQL, DRBD, RHEL, MySQL, MySQL DBA
- Tuned MySQL databases running on Debian Linux systems.
- Handled the migrations to new hardware.
- Implemented a redundant fail-over database solution based on block device mirroring (DRBD) and RedHat clustering, with secondary backups using MySQL replication.
Messaging Engineer2009 - 2009Deutsche Bank
Technologies: SQL, Solaris, Linux, PostgreSQL
- Worked in a team of system administrators responsible for the day-to-day running and maintenance of various messaging platforms.
- Looked after systems running Sendmail, Mailman, Brightmail, and PureMessage spam filtering, PostgreSQL and bespoke messaging solutions on Linux and Solaris (9, 10, zones) with LDAP authentication.
Systems Engineer2008 - 2009BT Global Services
Technologies: Solaris, Linux
- Worked as a part of the team performing day-to-day administration and maintenance of a large Linux and Solaris based service delivery platform running bespoke software.
Systems Administrator2007 - 2008Griffin Information Systems
Technologies: SQL, RHEL, MySQL
- Built a new email storage system based on RHEL and SAN-based clustered GFS storage with MySQL for metadata storage.
Software Engineer2007 - 2007Solartron Metrology
Technologies: SQL, C++, Perl, CentOS, MySQL, MySQL DBA
- Wrote calibration software for measurement probes in C++.
- Produced a calibration certificate generation system using Perl, with data stored in MySQL.
Systems Engineer2006 - 2007UK2
Technologies: SQL, Xen, Perl, RHEL, MySQL Clustering, MySQL DBA, Performance Optimization, Performance Tuning, Query Optimization
- Resolved a number of performance issues impacting the email system using MySQL clustering for authentication and metadata storage.
- Introduced the use of virtualization for product testing.
- Assisted with a large-scale data centre migration.
Software Developer2006 - 2006Mobile Streams
Technologies: SQL, Perl, RHEL, MySQL, MySQL DBA
- Maintained a MySQL database containing metadata for all of the available downloads.
- Developed additional interfaces for providing downloads to customers in Perl.
- Introduced PersistentPerl to improve performance of the HTTP front-end.
Software Developer2006 - 2006Lorien Customer Focus
Technologies: SQL, Perl, RHEL, PostgreSQL, Query Optimization, Optimization
- Wrote software for supply chain management for a major car manufacturer.
- Wrote the software in Perl while preserving the data in a PostgreSQL database.
- Optimization of queries to meet performance goals.
Systems Architect2004 - 2006Hanover Park Services
Technologies: SQL, Xen, Perl, RHEL, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MySQL DBA
- Maintained and audited software for the customer's insurance selling platform.
- Redesigned the system architecture to streamline the server estate and improved availability by introducing hot failover capability between servers.
Software Developer2002 - 2004Billco Group
Technologies: SQL, Perl, FreeBSD, RHEL, PostgreSQL, MySQL
- Developed and maintained software for client's internal use.
- Architected the platform for a new group-wide data and document sharing project, backed by FreeBSD servers running a Coda distributed file system and MySQL backed metadata storage.
Software Developer2002 - 2002InterClubNet
Technologies: SQL, Perl, RHEL, PostgreSQL, MySQL
- Worked on the development of a sports management system for the clients' foreign customers.
Software Developer2001 - 2001The Real Adventure
Technologies: SQL, Perl, RHEL, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MySQL DBA
- Improved the reliability of the legacy systems.
- Resolved and mitigated complex issues surrounding the legacy code's inability to cleanly handle transaction interruptions.
Software Developer2000 - 2001Selected Financial Investments
Technologies: SQL, Perl, RHEL, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MySQL DBA
- Developed software for heavily customizable news data aggregation.
- Built software for stock market data aggregation.