Guillermo Antonio Alvarado Mejia
Verified Expert in Engineering
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) Developer
Guillermo is a skilled DevOps engineer with 11 years of experience in IT and seven years of hands-on experience architecting, automating, supporting, and optimizing mission-critical deployments over large infrastructures. He's proficient with cloud infrastructure, Python, Bash, and developing CI/CD pipelines. He started his career as a software engineer, so he's been able to develop an end-to-end vision. His goal is to deliver results on time and within budget without compromising quality.
Linux, Ansible, Terraform, Packer, Jenkins, Docker, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Amazon Web Services (AWS), DevOps, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE)
The most amazing...
...project I've deployed and supported is a private cloud for a banking-as-a-service strategy, using DevOps to streamline new products and maintain reliability.
Engineering Manager, Cloud Services
Sentinelle Labs SpA
- Managed, improved, and monitored high-availability, auto-scalable, and secure cloud infrastructure on GCP, AWS, and IBM Cloud, including backups, patches, and scaling.
- Built infrastructure as code with Terraform and Packer, eliminating 80% manual work.
- Created and maintained fully automated CI/CD pipelines for code deployment using Jenkins and Spinnaker.
- Built solutions that improve the reliability of systems, fixing issues and responding to incidents.
Principal Cloud Architect
Instituto Internacional de Ciencia de Datos
- Developed a cloud strategy and coordinated the adaptation process, which includes guiding research and analysis, decision-making, and alignment with the business objectives.
- Optimized and reduced the infrastructure footprint saving 35% monthly by migrating existing applications to containers and Kubernetes.
- Monitored the existing infrastructure for performance and ensured that the platform and the surrounding ecosystem of microservices and their dependencies operated smoothly and reliably.
Lead DevOps Engineer
- Set up and maintained 99.99% uptime for SaaS software and three-tier applications for several customers in different platforms like AWS, OpenStack, VMware, and RHV.
- Designed and deployed private clouds based on OpenStack for customers in Mexico and Latin America.
- Deployed and supported Hadoop clusters for big data projects.
- Wrote and tested Ansible playbooks to configure and perform tasks on remote nodes, reducing deployment time for critical agile project infrastructure from one month to three days.
Senior Software Engineer
- Rewrote shell deploy scripts, reducing deployment times from 5+ hours to less than five minutes.
- Integrated APIs from vendor solutions such as ServiceNow, CA Process Automation, and Nimsoft.
- Designed and developed SaaS software deployed on PaaS like Heroku and App Engine.
Cloud-native Environment for Banking as a Service
With DevOps tools and automation capabilities, we orchestrated containerized banking modules that made service uptime much easier to achieve, from monitoring to alerting to remediation, enabling faster development of new products and easier maintenance of existing deployments.
Data Science Platform on Kubernetes
The solution is based on JupyterHub, integrating it with a Kubernetes engine that allows for a robust and scalable version of JupyterHub. It gives the ability to deploy containerized environments while not being tied to any one cloud provider and giving users access to computing environments and resources.
Our team was responsible for meeting any user requests like installing packages and the use of new features and tools like MongoDB, MySQL, Spark, and Gitlab.
Migrating an On-prem 3-tier App To AWS
I led the team that assessed the current situation and performed an application inventory to know the overall complexity. We decided what to re-host or re-platform, and after that, we designed a solution using the Well-Architected Framework.
We planned and executed a proof of concept in the cloud by testing out a subset of functions in a risk-free sandbox to gain confidence in the migration. Then we migrated the workloads without serving customer traffic to gradually start serving minimal traffic. We implemented telemetry and instrumentation and finally decommissioned the legacy solution.
Flask, Django, Spark
Ansible, Terraform, Packer, Jenkins, Jupyter, GitLab, NGINX, GitHub, Jira, Bitbucket, Grafana, Varnish, Vagrant, Confluence
DevOps, Automation, Agile
Linux, Docker, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), OpenStack, DigitalOcean, Ubuntu, CentOS, Kubernetes, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Amazon EC2, Heroku
APIs, IT Support, Cloud, DevOps Engineer, Documentation, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), Engineering Software, High Availability Disaster Recovery (HADR), Software Design, IT Operations, Cloud Architecture, Software Architecture, Ubuntu Server, CI/CD Pipelines, HAProxy, Prometheus, APM, System Administration, Amazon RDS, SOP Development, Shell Scripting, Cloudflare, Quality Assurance (QA), Software Engineering, Computer Science, Elastic Load Balancers, Cloud Infrastructure, Infrastructure as Code (IaC)
MySQL, Databases, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, Redis, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Datadog, MongoDB, GlusterFS
Specialization in Software Engineering
Morelia Institute of Technology - Morelia, México
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Morelia Institute of Technology - Morelia, México
HashiCorp Certified: Terraform Associate (003)
Certified OpenStack Administrator
Open Infrastructure Foundation
Google Certified Professional Cloud Architect
Certified System Administrator in RHOSP
Mirantis Certified Administrator for OpenStack
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring