Salesforce Architect and Developer
Hank has worked as a consultant for over a decade—designing, architecting and building complex business applications for dozens of companies across a wide array of industries as both an individual contributor and a team lead. Hank is a trained electrical engineer with a background in machine learning and an accomplished cloud architect. Hank is also one of the first 500 certified Salesforce administrators and has coded in Apex since its initial releases and spoken at Dreamforce.
ExperienceNeural Networks - 20 yearsSoftware Engineering - 20 yearsLeadership - 17 yearsSalesforce - 13 yearsApex - 13 yearsEnterprise Architecture - 10 yearsWeb Components - 5 yearsGoogle Cloud Platform (GCP) - 3 years
The most amazing...
...thing I've built is a data platform that can process millions of events per second, integrate with hundreds of business systems and implement real-time AI.
- Launched a new email marketing solution on a tight budget and timeline.
- Built a custom analytics integration between email marketing, web analytics, and Salesforce.
- Developed a reconfigurable CMS plugin to allow the dynamic creation of website lead forms.
Salesforce Engineer | Enterprise Architect
- Oversaw a full system Salesforce refactoring involving five teams, thousands of patients, complex data migration. Helped increase enrollment throughput by 80% ($1.2 million of additional annual value).
- Developed a completely custom medical enrollment workflow engine built on Salesforce with component-based Lightning UI. Helped to increase internal feature delivery by 30% ($250,000 of additional annual value).
- Constructed a secure, HIPAA compliant custom restful API infrastructure that helped ensure 100% patient data security compliance across more than 70 million data synchronization requests (zero breaches).
- Built a scalable, asynchronous integration pipeline connecting Salesforce, GCP, and AWS using Google Cloud PubSub which reduced average information lag by 98%.
- Created a custom calendaring solution built to ensure compliance with overlapping insurance and regulatory policies which increased new patient scheduling bandwidth by over 300%.
CEO | CTO | Co-founder
- Led the development of scalable web applications to serve users across business, K12, and higher education.
- Built and managed a geographically distributed team of professionals in engineering, sales, marketing, and business development.
- Developed proprietary models of learning measurement which precisely quantify expertise across various knowledge domains and ecosystems (professional development, higher education, K12, among others).
- Built massively scalable data processing pipelines for learning data which ensure native compliance with privacy regulations and ethical best practices (utilizing the Google Cloud Platform).
- Delivered skill-measurement-focused machine learning tools that can integrate quickly and easily with existing business apps (LMS, CRM, CMS, marketing automation, analytics, and so on).
Business Intelligence Engineer | Salesforce Architect
- Automated a system for ingesting and cleaning data from FAA drone exemption requests (via Data.gov), storing data in Salesforce custom objects, and integrating into key sales and marketing workflows. It saved over $100,000 in data-capturing costs.
- Built a custom support portal for enterprise customers which integrated with Salesforce contacts, Zendesk cases, and an internal back-end system. My work decreased case volume by 20%.
Digital Credential Platform | Badge Listhttps://hank.holiday/frontend-badgelist
The older bits of the platform come from a traditional Rails MVC monolith. The newer bits of the platform include a Rails-powered JSON API back end with a Polymer web component front end.
Patient Appointment Scheduling Engine | Virta Healthhttps://hank.holiday/frontend-clients
After an exhaustive search to find what we needed among existing tools, we couldn't find a single one that met all of our requirements without forcing us to adopt some complicated, incompatible piece of software designed for a completely different use case. So over the course of about three months, I designed and built a completely custom scheduling engine that was built in native Salesforce that handled all of the complexity and added no recurring cost.
The resulting tool is called VirtaCal. We launched it with zero bugs and is still in use today. The front end is a streamlined scheduling UI. The backend pulls together information from the Google Calendar API and six different records in Salesforce and then executes the complex Venn diagram of logic needed to see which doctors are available for a given patient on a given day.
Drone Fleet Management Application | Airwarehttps://hank.holiday/backend
The broader engineering team's solution was more than nine months out, so I single-handedly designed and built an interim solution in less than a month. That solution ended up being robust enough that it served as a key selling point and was still in use when the company was acquired two years later. The back end was built on top of Salesforce custom objects with a custom Apex-based REST API.
Scalable Learning Data Pipeline | Knovahttps://hank.holiday/frontend-knova
Knova is a distributed learning data pipeline that can process millions of events per second, integrate with hundreds of business systems, and utilize machine learning APIs to scalably transform learning data into artifacts like digital badges. I've been responsible for working with our launch partners to define the initial feature set while also building out the long term strategy for the product. I've also architected the implementation, made all key technology decisions, and developed the design of each component of the system.
Under the hood, Knova is built on top of the Google Cloud Platform. We're using a microservices architecture which is language-agnostic (currently a mix of Ruby and Node.js). The services use gRPC to communicate directly and Google PubSub to communicate asynchronously. The public-facing gRPC services are then transcoded into restful JSON APIs to power web apps and vendor integrations.
Visualforce, Ruby on Rails (RoR), gRPC
OpenAPI, Salesforce API, Salesforce REST API, Node.js, PubSubJS, REST APIs, Polymer
Figma, Visual Studio, Adobe
Salesforce, Web, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Amazon Web Services (AWS), WordPress, Heroku
Software Engineering, Code Architecture, Systems Thinking, Certified Salesforce Administrator, Web Components, Salesforce Lightning, Customer Development, API Design, Business Process Optimization, Salesforce.com Administration, Salesforce Apex, Web UI, K-12 Education, Education Technology (Edtech), Leadership, Neural Networks, Evolutionary Algorithms, Machine Vision, Marketing Automation, Enterprise Architecture, Business Modeling, Enterprise Service Bus (ESB), Complex Data Analysis, Email Marketing, Systems
UX Design, UI Design, Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR)
Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering (Focus on Machine Learning)
University of California San Diego - San Diego, CA, USA
First 500 Certified Salesforce Administrators