Senior Software Engineer2015 - 2016Belly, Inc.
- Worked as a senior member and manager on the Platform team—responsible for maintaining and extending the Ruby-based services and infrastructure that powers the Belly Platform.
- Went on to lead Belly's enterprise product.
- Responsible for establishing and growing the new product targeted toward nationwide, enterprise clients.
- Built this product on top of the existing platform powering Belly’s small and medium-sized businesses (SMB) product.
- Established a vision, principles, and strategy for the product.
- Built out our team of product managers, using OKRs to align our efforts and establishing a concrete process for managing this product.
- Constructed and drove the execution of a product roadmap based on the feedback and buy-in from the sales and marketing team as well as our target customers.
- Shared responsibility for all development, quality control, operations, and infrastructure management activities. Independently delivered key features, while also serving as a squad lead, responsible for managing a cross functional team to deliver strategic initiatives from the engineering team roadmap.
- Mentored members of the platform and engineering teams.
- Stepped into the CTO role, taking responsibility for all aspects of Belly’s engineering team and product development.
- Worked with the executive team and engineering leadership to manage the product roadmap.
- Responsible for leading the technology vision and execution, managing the overall plan, timelines, and end deliverables of the engineering team.
- Managed communication and coordination with other internal stakeholders, including marketing, sales, and support teams, to roll out valuable new features within the product.
- Led the engineering team to launch the BLUE product, focused on enterprise clients and use cases, during the first month in this role.
Director of Software Engineering2012 - 2015ClairVista, LLC
- Stepped in to replace the existing application architect. Had 45 days to ramp up before assuming full responsibility for all development and support activities within the organization.
- Led the software development team to extend and maintain the entire Live Expert system, spanning an application server and three client endpoints.
- Supervised and was responsible for all aspects of the product roadmap, engineering priorities, development process, and deliverables.
- Worked directly with clients to identify the requirements and scope for new features, deliver application updates, and support any issues that arise.
- Defined and was ressponsible for the product vision and application architecture. Grew the engineering team by 150%, adding new roles for QA and system administration while maintaining our culture and attitude.
- Formalized the development process to clarify team member responsibilities and streamline project delivery.
- Improved our ability to meet customer commitments by 35%.
- Instituted peer code reviews and a formal test validation process, decreasing the rate of production bugs by over 70%.
Software Development Manager2010 - 2012Enova Financial
- Managed a team of seven engineers responsible for designing and delivering a diverse range of projects for our business.
- Worked closely with product managers to identify business requirements and translate them into an actionable development plan, highlighting risks, estimates, and milestones.
- Contributed key portions to the design of each project.
- Provided oversight and support with technical challenges during implementation.
- Maintained a strong focus on team member development, coaching, and process improvement.
- Worked in the Existing Products department developing new features for and maintaining an online loan application product.
- Leveraged the Ruby on Rails framework with a PostgreSQL database.
- Managed and was responsible for supporting integration with third party lead providers.
- Utilized agile development methodologies, including scrum and pair programming, in leading a team of developers responsible for the Great Britain brand of the application.
Software Engineer II2009 - 2010Viz, General Dynamics C4 Systems
Technologies: Java, Eclipse, Perforce, Ant, JUnit, Bugzilla, Google Web Toolkit
- Supported the CoMotion software product line, a Java-based distributed collaboration and visualization platform.
- Developed core assets and provided direct support to dependent projects.
- Worked on and was responsible for UI feature development and maintenance.
- Developed a framework using JUnit for automated correctness and performance testing.