PHP Developer in New York, NY, United States
Member since March 4, 2015
Haydn has a wide variety of experience across companies from a two-person startup to the investment bank Goldman Sachs, with 30,000 employees globally. His area of greatest consulting expertise is small- to mid-stage startups, but he also has experience with automated trading and Android development.
Associate2013 - 2015Goldman Sachs
Technologies: Java, Tomcat, MongoDB
- Developed and maintained the application host for a popular mobile application.
- Developed an Android application.
Software Engineer2012 - 2013SNAP Interactive
Technologies: PHP, MySQL, MongoDB, Memcache, Apache, Linux
- Supported one of the most popular dating apps on Facebook.
- Maintained and improved a high-traffic (~70 million users) service running on Linux/Apache/PHP/MySQL.
- Spearheaded a major project to re-architect a search index/matching algorithm.
- Created a machine-learning tool able to inform a user if they try to send a message which is unlikely to generate a response.
- Went from almost 0% to almost 100% unit test coverage.
Software Engineer2011 - 2012Hotlist
Technologies: Python, MySQL, MongoDB, Solr, Linux
- Maintained and expanded Hotlist, a geo-social event aggregation startup.
- Wrote a data ingester in Python to match data from Facebook Events, Google Maps, Foursquare, Citygrid, and more.
- Participated in the re-architecture of the database deployment.
- Wrote a machine-learning tool to match address data in different formats.
- Wrote a machine-learning tool to identify duplicate venue and event records.
Senior Engineer2009 - 2011Vivastreet
- Hired as a Junior Web Developer, promoted to lead developer within a year.
- Managed a team of five developers on one of the world's top 100 websites by traffic.
- Re-architected Cron-based application services to event-driven asynchronous processing.
- Scaled the application to support nearly 2x traffic growth.
- Coordinated with a global team to manage technical updates to the site across nineteen countries and five languages.
Web Developer2008 - 2009Protect America, Inc.
- Maintained a public-facing eCommerce website for a large home-security merchant.
- Developed an internal application to support the sales department.
- Developed an internal application to support the network marketing program.
- Implemented a variety of site features and updates.
- Participated in planning future architecture and features.
Student Web Developer2007 - 2008University of Texas
Technologies: PHP, Oracle, Apache, Linux
- Maintained the official website of UT's Division of Housing and Food Services.
- Implemented a new website to support DHFS's diversity efforts.
- Developed tools to drastically improve site security.
- Provided technical support to DHFS users.
- Participated in assessing new technologies and solutions.
- Autotrader (Development)
An automated stock-trading program developed to use machine learning and sentiment analysis to generate trading signals.
- 3D-printable Wind Turbine (Other amazing things)http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:28773
Not really a software project, but still, now you can download a wind turbine!
ParadigmsRapid Prototyping, Agile Software Development, Functional Programming, DevOps
StorageMySQL, Memcached, MongoDB
PlatformsLinux, AWS EC2, Android, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
OtherSoftware Architecture, System Architecture, Lean Startups, OpenSCAD
Libraries/APIsjQuery, Google API, Facebook API
ToolsEAGLE, Ansible, Solr
- Coursework towards a degree in Computer Science2007 - 2008University of Texas - Austin
- Coursework towards a degree in Chemistry2005 - 2006New York University - New York, NY