Verified Expert in Engineering
Henok is a detail-oriented software engineer with over 15 years of development, architecture, and technology leadership experience. Henok has developed major work for large Canadian and US corporations in the automotive, banking, and non-profit industries, to name a few. He excels at integrations, optimizations, migrations, and eCommerce projects, whether full-stack, mobile, or DevOps-related. Henok enjoys keeping up-to-speed with the latest innovations and sharing knowledge with others.
Spring Boot, Docker Compose, IntelliJ IDEA
The most amazing...
...project I grew as CTO was for ChargeAutomation.com and BookingAutomation.com. I took part in the DMZ accelerator program in Toronto to develop the company.
Founder and Senior Software Engineering Consultant
- Developed an eCommerce integration platform that syncs your eCommerce operations data to reduce manual labor and costly errors.
- Developed many eCommerce-related integrations, including: Shopify, Amazon, Ebay, Commerce-hub and many more.
- Developed generic eCommerce integration capabilities that can read and write industry standard EDI formats.
- Collaborated with "Connected Labs" as a consultant and mentored developers on Spring Boot + React on a project involving a major motor vehicle company in the United States.
- Collaborated with "Connected Labs" as a consultant and helped re-build an Android banking application for a major Canadian retail bank (RX Java and MVVM).
- Served as an independent consultant and helped re-develop a major Canadian non-profit company's website using Strapi CMS and GatsbyJS.
- Assisted several companies in the design and development of Shopify websites that were well integrated into their back-office.
- Assisted in the development of an eCommerce platform for the travel technology industry that helped several vacation rental businesses launch eCommerce websites.
- Advised startups on how to quickly achieve product-market-fit and once they do, how to properly scale their team + technology to compete in their respective industries.
- Assisted in the development of a bootstrapped company in building on its MVP and achieving product-market fit.
- Led two teams working on two different technology stacks (Java with Spring boot and PHP with Laravel).
- Oversaw the end-to-end process of product development, from defining user stories, designing user experience, designing software architecture, developing components, and growing a team of talented developers locally and offshore.
- Provided technical leadership during the scaling of the business while participating in a local accelerator program (Ryerson DMZ).
Lead Software Architect and Developer
- Developed a cutting edge chatbot application that helps people find their perfect homes.
- Integrated the chatbot into Facebook's Messenger and ads API.
- Integrated the application into the Follow Up Boss platform; a CRM tool for the real estate industry.
- Integrated an application into Zapier for additional integration capabilities.
- Implemented integration with Dialogflow for NLP capabilities.
Software Engineering Manager
- Managed the development and maintenance of software for the automotive industry. Oversaw development tasks performed by local and remote-based developers.
- Ensured the maintenance and quality of a sellers portal, used by thousands of auction houses in North America.
- Provided technical leadership and helped solve problems in spite of challenging design and architectural problems.
- Completed the Scaled Agile certification training to further develop my agile coaching skills.
Software Engineer and Team Lead
Quickplay Media (AT&T)
- Developed high-quality code with a team of talented developers. We were building the future of highly available/scalable online video transcoding.
- Developed a simple yet effective candidate screening process to quickly find talented team members.
- Developed Docker containers to help new team members get up-to-speed when setting up development environments and also to speed up development in general.
- Contributed significantly to the overall application design and architecture of a multi-tenant video processing system. We successfully processed, encrypted and delivered thousands of hours of high-quality content per day using our platform.
Software Engineer/Team Lead
Crosscap Media Services
- Developed custom solutions for major US retailers. Solutions include eCommerce, content management, web publishing, price forecasting, marketing planning, and intelligent process automation.
- Led a small team of developers in Toronto and India. I helped build the India office by traveling to India to ensure high-quality output of modules for a critically important client.
- Developed an in-house Ajax framework before jQuery became popular. We used this early Ajax library on the product listing website of a major North American retailer.
Crosscap Media Services
- Developed the early version of a major Canadian retailer's eCommerce website.
- Designed and developed a portal for vendors to manage products listed on a major retailer's online website.
- Monitored and troubleshoot production issues, which was hosted in a remote Unix environment.
- Ensured high-quality code was consistently delivered by assisting in the training and managing of new team members.
Product Support Engineer
- Supported enterprise applications for the insurance business in the UK. Traveled to the UK to train with the team I would be supporting and off-board the off-shore company currently providing support.
- Transitioned support operations from off-shore in the UK to Toronto, Canada.
- Ensurer thorough documentation of existing systems and processes. Interfaced with business partners in the UK to communicate technical issues and solutions for them.
Reusable Widgets for Enhanced Customer Engagements
The solution I came up with was to develop reusable and smart engagement widgets. These widgets would be easily extensible using simple key/value HTML attributes as CSS for style.
Spring Boot, Jakarta Server Pages (JSP), AngularJS, React Native, Laravel
jQuery, Facebook API, React, Facebook Ads API, Facebook Messenger API, Shopify API, Node.js, Amazon API, eBay API, RxKotlin, RxJava 2, Stripe Connect API, Stripe API, Vue 2
IntelliJ IDEA, Docker Compose, Apache Tomcat, Zapier, GitHub, Apache Solr, Dialogflow, Asana, Google Analytics
Microservices, Agile Software Development, ETL, Automation, Model View Viewmodel (MVVM), Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO), Data Science
Jakarta EE, JBoss, Unix, Shopify, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Android
MongoDB, MySQL, Cassandra
Data Structures, Algorithms, Jakarta EE Design Patterns, Follow Up Boss API, Strapi, Gatsby, Cloud, Full-stack, Full-stack Development, Chatbots, Artificial Intelligence (AI), eCommerce, CSV File Processing, Technical Consulting, Technical Architecture, Back-end, Payment Gateways, Big Data, Architecture, Ajax, Server Security, Natural Language Processing (NLP), GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT), LangChain, Data Build Tool (dbt), A/B Testing, Google Tag Manager
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Trent University - Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Advanced Diploma in Computer Programming and Analysis
Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Certified SAFe Agilist (SA)
Scaled Agile, Inc.
Certified SAFe Practitioner (SP)
Scaled Agile, Inc.
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring