Verified Expert in Engineering
Ian is a software engineer, focusing primarily on Java, eCommerce, and web development. With 20+ years of experience, he excels at solving problems in data, performance, and complex business requirements. He has developed a wide range of solutions, including database fixes, online booking and payments, web security, fraud detection and prevention, and eLearning and learning management systems. Ian delivers results by mastering new technologies quickly and working as an effective team member.
Git, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), PostgreSQL, Windows, Amazon Web Services (AWS), IntelliJ IDEA
The most amazing...
...thing I've done was rewriting a failed telecommunications product, using a state-machine architecture. It was deployed in several hundred call centers.
Senior Core Java API Developer
- Developed a parcel manifesting service that applied carrier-specific logic to parcels.
- Led the core team of developers with a daily standup meeting, assigned tickets, and answered questions.
- Developed an invoicing microservice that integrated our parcel system with Great Plains software.
- Developed a bulk shipment service that took a CSV uploaded by the customer and created parcels, validated them, and sent results back to the customer in an email.
Senior Full-stack Developer
- Built a CI/CD pipeline using GitHub Actions, Docker Hub, and AWS Elastic Beanstalk.
- Implemented online payments for veterinarian appointments using Stripe API.
- Redesigned the appointment booking code to work with several veterinarian portal products using their web APIs.
Senior Software Engineer
- Built an order-processing pipeline for payment validation, inventory management, and delivery schedules.
- Implemented fraud detection using Forter API based on front-end and back-end data collection on shopping characteristics.
- Solved a production deadlock issue with Oracle Database over four weeks of troubleshooting.
- Performed a security review of production code, using SonarQube, and fixed all the identified security issues.
- Integrated the Worldpay payment gateway into a large multicountry eCommerce site.
Senior Software Engineer
- Designed a back-end API for the iOS and Android mobile versions of the company's eLearning products.
- Redesigned the front-end Flash AS3 code and the back-end Java code to increase the reliability and performance of eLearning products. This code was used in five new products.
- Provided guidance during the team transition from semi-annual releases to the Scrum Agile development process with monthly releases.
- Ported a premise-based learning management system to a cloud-based system on our own and Amazon EC2 servers.
Spring Boot, Spring, OAuth 2, Jakarta Server Pages (JSP)
Git, SAP Hybris, Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), Jira, Bitbucket, Flash, GitHub, Apache Maven, Amazon Simple Email Service (SES), Docker Hub, SonarQube, Jenkins, Gradle, IntelliJ IDEA
Agile, Compiler Design, Scrum
Eclipse, Windows, Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, JBoss, Amazon EC2, AWS Lambda, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Azure, Kubernetes, Apache Kafka, Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
PostgreSQL, Oracle SQL, MySQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Redis
Physics, Calculus, Statistics, Certified ScrumMaster (CSM), Bootstrap 4, Amazon RDS, CI/CD Pipelines, Stripe Payments, APIs, Web Security, Worldpay, eCommerce, Front-end, Back-end, Learning Management Systems (LMS), Java 15, Full-stack, Cloudflare
Bachelor of Science Degree in Geophysical Engineering
Queen's University - Kingston, ON, CA
Certified Scrum Master