Director, Web Developer2012 - PRESENTYolk Creative
- Wrote website proposals to win client work based on requirements from small/medium businesses and councils.
- Set up hosting infrastructure using PHP5, MySQL, and Varnish cache to get the most from a single VPS without overloading Apache.
- Set up backup routines for each VPS to take off site back ups of data and files and place them on Amazon S3.
- Wrote a bespoke golfing application that allows players to save their golf round on a course. This then produces a variety of graphs and other graphics so that coaches can review a player's performance.
- Implemented image processing using EC2 instances on AWS, to offload the heavy lifting of image processing away from a VPS and onto its own dedicated (faster and cheaper) resource.
Director, Web Developer2010 - 2012BinaryFold4
- Served as finance director for a small web agency of 5 staff members.
- Wrote bespoke software to integrate with Xero accounting software and Gecko Dashboard to more easily showcase the business' performance.
- Wrote numerous plugins and add-ons for the open source CMS Concrete5 including social media extensions, user login, and user management.
- Wrote proposals and technical specifications.
- Produced a RSS extension in Concrete5 that allowed any RSS feed to be consumed and converted into a page within a council's web site allowing them to re-use news from their sister sites.
- Wrote a Zend Framework application for a housing portal that used Rightmove's BLM file format (as well as others) to import thousands of properties each day into their web directory.
- Wrote a Zend Framework application for a client to manage and list thousands of nightclubs across the world.
PHP Developer2008 - 2010Silktide
- Wrote a PHP spider to crawl sites for all pages and parse out specific data, addresses, telephone numbers, etc.
- Wrote extensions to an in-house CMS written in PHP4.
- Used XPath extensively to find elements within HTML pages in order to run tests on a site such as missing alt attributes, broken images, broken links, external links, video, and Flash usage.
- Liaised with clients regarding their technical requirements.
- Defined and wrote a framework to store website test results in XML format. This format was used throughout the application to render a website's results.
- Wrote a recruitment website for the building industry that allows candidates to register and apply for jobs. Employers could register and list jobs. There was also a messaging system so candidates and employers could speak in a safe and monitored environment.