SQL Developer in Orlando, FL, United States
Member since October 29, 2017
Professionally, James has made mastering all the ins and outs of the behemoth that is SQL Server his primary career niche. English is a second language, right after T-SQL. His recent work has been focused almost entirely on large enterprise-level MS SQL Server design and development projects. James also received a Bachelor of Science degree from Vanderbilt University, which especially qualifies him for technical writing projects.
Database Architect2013 - 2017Guidance Solutions
Technologies: SQL Server, SSIS, SSRS
- Developed multiple ETL utilities with SSIS working with raw data, and other RDBMS such as Sybase and Oracle.
- Focused on maximum reliability for high OLTP eCommerce sites with the capability to handle demands of higher transaction periods.
- Managed optimization and health for multiple SQL Server databases.
- Generated processes to automate recommending optimal configurations for new clients based on environment and known best practices.
Senior Engineer2012 - 2013INgrooves Fontana
Technologies: SQL Server, C#, SSIS
- Hired as full time senior engineer reporting directly to the CTO. Essentially brought on board to continue the UMG consultancy role described below but also to assist the segue towards an Ingrooves-owned digital supply chain SaaS solution and assist in the data architecture for such a system.
- Created and optimized several complex stored procedures responsible for cross server processing.
- Designed a process to cleanse multiple data sources to create a master data record for a data governance project.
Senior Consultant2007 - 2012Universal Music Group
Technologies: SQL Server, SSIS, SSRS, VB.NET
- Designed a custom "process-ready" replication engine via SSIS to expose in-flight data to the application only once business logic deemed it conceptually complete.
- Designed corporate-wide production data and schema auditing processes.
- Designed custom architecture to use process semaphores to provide the ability to allow multiple anonymous sources to attempt to start stored procedures but allow only one to win.
- Created a process to clone all required data elements for a new label based on a template label that encompassed generating millions of records with a rules engine to determine data permissions.
Senior Database Architect2003 - 2007Walt Disney Studios
Technologies: SQL Server, C#, DTS/SSIS
- Performed all the duties of a senior SQL Server DBA and SQL programmer for the length of my tenure as the lone database pro. The project was a highly customizable and diverse web-based media asset management application (MAM system) proprietary to Disney.
- Developed a responsive search engine that considered millions of rows of data across various tables and applied real-time permission data against up to 300 business rules.
- Architected the design to allow search to split across several threads so that the engine could quickly return the most popular results in a requester's department while simultaneously churning additional results in the background.
- Implemented a peer-to-peer SQL Server network to consume and share asset metadata across departments.
- Developed an engine, using Ghostscript and VB objects, to parse PDF and Word documents for terms and developed a codebase to do advanced string searches like terms "near" one another and term count > n.
LanguagesT-SQL, SQL, PHP, C#
StorageSQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Stored Procedures, SQL Server 2016, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), MySQL, SQL Server Management Studio, PostgreSQL
- Bachelor of Science degree in English1991 - 1995Vanderbilt University - Nashville TN