Software Development and Project Management2010 - PRESENTIndependent Consultant
- Developed various apps: Potty Training iPhone App for Huggies, Gold’s Gym Spotter, the Perfect Crime App for an off-Broadway play, Beesell virtual property market, Battle of the Bulge game, Friendly Deals, Avatar Maker, and Android Data collection.
- Developed an MMO-like web application: GraffitiWall. The website allowed thousands of Breaking Bad fans to share content while watching the show.
- Designed and created software for museums: Exhibit software and CMS for North Carolina Nature Research Center, Exhibit software, and CMS for Edgewater Hotel. Also managed the graphics and audio subcontractors.
Senior iOS Developer (Consultant)2015 - 2020Walmart | Sam's Club App
Technologies: Functional Reactive Programming, RxSwift, Xcode, Objective-C, Swift
- Merged the disparate Sam’s Club Scan and Go and eCommerce apps into a single cohesive App; served as the primary eCommerce developer on the team. This successful merge resulted in growing eCommerce sales by many millions of dollars.
- Implemented and evangelized the use of Reactive libraries to help improve code quality. This initiative correctly anticipated Apple moving to this technology years early and positioned Sam's Club to take advantage of Combine and SwiftUI.
- Developed tools for mobile developers to interrogate back end services at layers above the orchestration layer to help troubleshoot production issues from errant back-end services.
- Developed a comprehensive forms library that was integral in allowing the quick rollout of a custom version of the app that Sam’s Club used for a Covid-related concierge service.
- Helped review code and document best practices for the team.
Senior iOS Developer (Consultant)2014 - 2015Amazon | Audible App
Technologies: Xcode, Objective-C
- Developed a prototype to enable Audible's expansion beyond just audiobooks. The app included presenting short stories, podcasts, and original content. The code and design were then used to add those features to the primary Audible app.
- Developed code to support sophisticated animations when an Audible user chose content to begin playing. The code was generalized and documented to be used for additional purposes in the primary Audible app.
- Helped lead codes review and mentored junior developers on the project.
CTO and Lead Developer2003 - 2010SurveyUSA
- Led the development of entirely new software and hardware that replaced an antiquated system with UI tools for poll creation, statistical software for analyzing poll results, and real-time software that runs over 2,000 phone lines.
- Supported SurveyUSA in expanding the number of polls and lowering staffing needs with the new software. SurveyUSA created new products—50-states Polling and Presidential Head-to-Head Pairings—entering new markets, such as inbound market research.
- Developed multithreaded C++ software that managed hundreds of phone lines per CPU and real-time interaction with respondents, resulting in industry-leading accuracy. The telephony software was created using C++ and Dialogic.