Verified Expert in Engineering
Jared is a senior full-stack software engineer with a penchant for test-driven development and a first principles-based approach to the engineering process. He has built robust back-end systems and delightful front-end experiences and helped introduce industry best practices to emerging and established engineering organizations. He values open, honest, and kind communication and strives to meet clients and serve their engineering needs wherever they are.
Agile, Go, React, Testing, Full-stack, Web Development, Unit Testing, Back-end
The most amazing...
...thing I've done is leading a team of 12 developers from zero to production, making the client enjoy the work due to the process used.
Lead Full-stack Engineer
- Built a full-featured React application for use by dental care providers in the Flossy network from zero to MVP in three weeks using Bootstrap, test-driven development, and lean principles.
- Integrated with Stripe to allow for processing of payments through the application.
- Served as a key full-stack contributor providing technical leadership and mentoring more junior developers.
- Improved the hiring and onboarding processes by successfully adding four new people over two months.
Senior Software Engineer
- Used test-driven development and my experience in React front end to help get Zeck's flagship product to its official launch date, which met with strong customer reactions.
- Helped design and build out the fundamental Lambda architecture—from development to testing to CI to deployment—that the team began shifting towards after I arrived.
- Managed the entirety of the application's infrastructure in Terraform.
Lead Full-stack Engineer
- Introduced a testing culture to the organization, building all tests from the ground up. We went from 0% test coverage to 90% test coverage.
- Maintained a massive Go back end featuring such techniques as message queueing and process batching using goroutines.
- Transitioned the crufty, legacy React 2015 monolith into a more nimble and easily managed micro frontends architecture driven by single-spa. We went from taking days to develop most features down to just hours.
- Created the complete onboarding subproduct from scratch, which featured file uploads, taking signatures, allowing users to stop and pick up where they left off, and other UX niceties.
- Managed the entirety of the software's stack, from the React front end and the Go back end to the full Kubernetes infrastructure running on GCP.
Software and Agile Consultant
- Led a team of 12 developers over 14 months as we took an iOS product from nothing to a successful release in Apple's App Store.
- Performed engineering leadership and technical writing responsibilities for a Java-Spring back-end API that serviced millions of transactions per week.
- Ran and facilitated critical process meetings, including iteration planning meetings and retrospectives.
- Served as the principal tech lead on several products across multiple industries.
- Developed an open-source testing library for use by Swift projects across the company.
- Performed several talks about aspects of the job, such as giving effective feedback, naming conventions in code, and pairing programming. Many of them are still available online.
- Developed and released to the App Store an open-source iOS application that served as a front-end client for Concourse CI.
Full-service Appointment Management Software for Dentists
At first, I was solely responsible for spinning up the MVP in just three weeks, and eventually, I transitioned to full-stack work, including the Node.js back end. I had a great deal of latitude over how to build out features, as long as they met specifications, and utilized experience with lean principles to ensure that we would meet exactly the requirements needed with minimal wasted effort.
The project was released on time achieving strong success and having no major bugs to ruin the first customers' experiences.
React, REST APIs, Node.js, API Development, OpenAPI, Stripe
Agile, Test-driven Development (TDD), Unit Testing, Testing, REST, Functional Programming, Lambda Architecture
Software, Programming, APIs, Full-stack, Web Development, Front-end, Back-end, Lean, Technical Leadership, Minimum Viable Product (MVP), Cloud Services, Back-end Development, Full-stack Development, Cloud, Technical Hiring, Native Mobile Apps, Serverless, HubSpot
Bootstrap, Spring, Spring MVC, Relay, Jest, Cypress, Redux
iOS, Kubernetes, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, AWS Lambda, Heroku
PostgreSQL, MySQL, Databases, Google Cloud, MongoDB
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Vanderbilt University - Nashville, TN, USA