Verified Expert in Engineering
Jason has over 18 years in the telecommunication industry where he's worked with strong databases, ETL processes, data virtualization, task automation skills, and risk-based data management systems (Oracle, MS SQL Server, Teradata, and PostgreSQL). He's administered and developed an ETL in Informatica and the Cisco Information Server (virtual databases) for over seven years. He loves challenges, especially when it has been said it can't be done.
Toad, Visual Studio, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Windows
The most amazing...
...program I've built was an application that determines the optimal dialysis machine settings to improve patient comfort and reduce their time in the hospital.
- Fleshed out a reporting database to support the national truck roll-, phone call-, and subscriber-based metrics.
- Implemented new SSAS cubes for regular and ad hoc reporting.
- Designed extracts from multiple source platforms, Oracle, SQL Server, and Teradata and consolidated that data into an MS SQL warehouse.
- Automated data pulls using SSIS and external calls to FTP when needed.
- Developed new automated tasks in the Automic environment.
- Transitioned existing jobs scheduled via SQL Server Agent to Automic for better job chaining.
Senior Data Architect
- Built out a virtual data warehouse called Single Source using DV technology for a more than 400 user base; sourced from Oracle, MS SQL, Teradata, Netezza, PostgreSQL, and DB2.
- Implemented a physical Oracle data warehouse with three major subject area data marts' also built my own data model.
- Led the ETL development team in standards and best practices as well as reviewed code and shared my migration expertise.
- Performed database backup tasks as a secondary Oracle database administrator.
- Administered and worked as the primary developer of the ActiveBatch scheduling environment.
- Designed and implemented divisional finance data warehouse in Teradata. The design was based on existing reporting needs and utilized available enterprise BI resources.
- Pulled data from disparate sources into modeled Oracle star schemas by using the department ETL toolset: Cognos Data Manager, Informatica PowerCenter, SSIS, and the Cisco Composite Information Server.
- Guided team members and contractors to use best practices and to adhere to the department architecture.
- Aided in the administration of multiple Oracle instances.
- Managed key applications in the ETL architecture, Cognos Data Manager, Informatica, Cisco Data Virtualization, and ActiveBatch.
Divisional Business Reporting Manager
- Partnered with the senior management in the implementation, design, and enhancement of new and existing reporting.
- Managed a staff of five analysts.
- Developed the department website for housing and distributing reports. SQL Server back-end with a .NET front-end.
- Collaborated with IT to flesh out data structures needed to support reporting.
Division Reporting Analyst I, II, & III
- Tasked with understanding the structure behind the new CSG billing system and partnered with co-workers to redesign reports.
- Acted as the owner and builder of key reports including tech productivity, quota management, and pending work orders.
- Adopted a roster database from an outgoing employee and tasked with enhancing the existing database while developing a .NET web/Oracle database-based version.
Migrate Data Warehouse to Snowflake With dbt
After the spin-off, a project began modernizing the data warehousing to use the cloud. Snowflake, Fivetran, and dbt were the selected tools.
My role was to understand, catalog, and reverse engineer the existing SSRS reporting based on T-SQL queries to the SQL instance and MDX queries to the SSAS server. Once understood, I then had to build the model in dbt Cloud and test it to ensure the accuracy of the new structure.
In dbt, I used dbt Cloud with a combination of snapshotting for type 1/2 dimensions, traditional fact structures, and a big-wide-table methodology to ease the report building in Tableau, all using the Fishtown syntax. Additional dbt functionality includes utilities from dbt-labs for common macros, custom macros that fit the project's purpose, and multiple pipeline jobs to break out the data warehouse build.
Customer Value Reporting
First Call Resolution
Oracle PL/SQL Delete
Oracle Materialized View
ETL Platforms | Informatica PowerCenter
• Install and configure the PowerCenter engine on a Linux host.
• Install the client on all developers' desktops.
• Define and build standards.
• Identify reusable items to convert into maplets or workouts.
• Design, code, and deploy all core mapping and workflow components.
• Review of junior members' code.
• Ensure standards were met for the use of lookups, expressions, and target loads.
• Lead the discussion on when to use ETL vs. ELT approach.
• Integrate the enterprise scheduler.
Informatica ETL, Microsoft Visual Studio, Automic (UC4), Toad, Visual Studio, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Excel, SSAS, IBM Cognos, Informatica PowerCenter, Erwin, ActiveBatch, Tableau Desktop Pro, Tableau
Oracle, Visual Studio 2016, Linux, Windows, Oracle Data Integrator (ODI)
SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2014, Teradata Databases, SQL Server 2016, PL/SQL, Teradata, PL/SQL Developer, Oracle PL/SQL, ANSI SQL, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), Netezza
PL/SQL Tuning, Data Virtualization, Informatica, Task Automation, Data Engineering, Data Build Tool (dbt), Data Management, Cisco, Composite, Data Modeling, Job Schedulers, Tableau Server, Data Warehousing, Data Queries
Waterfall Development, Agile Software Development, Oracle ODI
Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems
University of Massachusetts Lowell - Lowell, MA, USA