Senior Software Engineer2019 - PRESENT(An Analytics Company)
Technologies: SQL Server, C#, Azure, Power BI
- Led one of the development teams and worked as part of the engineering management—handling agile scrum master duties, conducting one-on-ones with my team, and more.
- Served in a DevOps role for our cloud-based infrastructure. Specifically, I created and manage the CI/CD strategy for our data warehouse.
- Worked as a database developer and regularly designed and developed the data layer for new features and subsystems.
- Spearheaded initiatives to drive improvements at this layer to non-functional concerns, such as performance and availability.
- Worked as an application developer, primarily using C#.
- Conducted and coordinated engineering staff training, participated in the hiring process, and led our engineering internship initiative.
Senior Systems Engineer2008 - 2019Salesforce (formerly ExactTarget)
Technologies: SQL Server, .NET Framework, C#
- Contributed to a SaaS platform that scales across hundreds of RDBMS instances and thousands of application servers, with a particular focus on asynchronous features that operate on data in bulk—often millions of rows of data.
- Participated in the successful zero-downtime deployment of dozens of major releases of that platform.
- Designed, developed, deployed, and maintained a REST API for a data warehouse.
- Mentored other developers on T-SQL best practices, provided in-house training for development and support teams, and contributed to official internal T-SQL standards for development.
- Improved the performance of dozens, if not hundreds, of stored procedures, through a variety of methods; including for example, better alignment of code with existing indexes, modification of indexes and creation of new ones, addressing parameter sniffing issues, caching results in the application layer where appropriate, addressing issues related to linked servers, and more.
Systems Engineer2005 - 2008Leaf Software
Technologies: SQL Server, .NET Framework, C#
- Replaced the use of an off-the-shelf data tier product with a faster, more efficient solution which was able to be deployed in the existing app with minimal interruption to the customer experience.
- Maintained the app, as part of a small team of developers, which tracked financial transactions for an automotive financing organization—troubleshooting and resolving issues, adding features, and improving stability and performance.
- Added a feature that would "phone-home" exceptions to our bug tracking software—allowing our team to begin addressing those exceptions before being notified by the customer.
Project Manager2001 - 2005Frakes Engineering
Technologies: Windows Server Suite, Visual Basic .NET, C#, SQL Server
- Contributed to the development of policies and procedures to meet certification guidelines for an industry association.
- Provided network administration for the organization, supporting technologies such as an Active Directory domain, Exchange Server, IIS, SQL Server, and ISA Server.
- Developed and deployed applications in a wide variety of industries—including pharmaceuticals, automotive, pulp and paper, chemicals, and agriculture.
- Developed the T-SQL portion of an application that managed an automated-storage-and-retrieval system for an automotive manufacturing facility; including stored procedures that provided the business logic for the robots.
- Hacked, as directed, a Unix system in order to gain the authorization needed to export the existing data from an IBM Informix database for the aforementioned ASRS, and then manually performed the ETL to import this data into my SQL Server database so that the customer did not need to manually inventory the entire contents of the ASRS as part of the transition.
Project Engineer1997 - 2001Rockwell Automation
Technologies: SQL Server, Visual Basic 6, Rockwell Software, IIS, ASP
- Provided technical support and network administration for the local office—supporting a variety of technologies, such as Novell Netware, a Windows domain, and several DOS applications running under Windows 95 and Windows 98 OS's.
- Developed and deployed applications in a wide variety of industries; including pharmaceuticals, automotive, food and beverage, and glass manufacturing.
- Developed and deployed a SQL Server/IIS/ASP application that displayed both charts and graphs in near-real-time, accessible by Netscape Navigator browsers on OS/2 clients.
- Developed and deployed an application for an assembly line, using Visual Basic 6 which gave the customer enough confidence—despite a negative history with another product group—to invest in future projects with my organization for the next several years.
- Developed and deployed, as part of the first implementation of a PCI-bus CNC controller, a Visual Basic 6 application that facilitated communication between the controller's software—which used an obsolete and unstable Microsoft technology, DDE—and my organization's standard controller software which used a C-based API.