Director of Technology2021 - PRESENTEmory University (Dep. of Quantitative Theory & Methods)
Technologies: Python, Bash, Jupyter, Neural Networks, NumPy, PyTorch, SQL, Pandas, Scikit-learn, R, Deep Neural Networks, Linux, Google Cloud, Machine Learning, Statistics, Data Science, Amazon SageMaker, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Algorithms, Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Advanced to Director of Technology after building a data science environment on AWS for two faculty and five researchers running large-scale linear job-matching models, ordered by CareerBuilder that wanted a transparent job matching model.
- Mentored four student researchers and two faculty advisors in partnership with UPS on using the Google Cloud Platform for modeling and data engineering. The project led to UPS cutting costs and saving on labor.
- Held three workshops and provided one-on-one training to department faculty on GPU computing. Performed the admin role on the department's GPU server.
- Built a hosted notebook solution supporting ML workflows for our faculty.
Lecturer2017 - PRESENTEmory University (Dep. of Quantitative Theory & Methods)
Technologies: PyTorch, TensorFlow, SQL, NumPy, Pandas, Scikit-learn, R, Google Cloud, Jupyter, Bash, Python, Neural Networks, Deep Neural Networks, Linux, Machine Learning, Statistics, Data Science, Amazon SageMaker, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Data Visualization, Data Modeling, Data Engineering, Algorithms, Time Series, Time Series Analysis, Financial Modeling, Amazon DynamoDB, Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Recognized in 2020 by Google Education as one of thirty-four Google Cloud Faculty Experts. Selected in 2019 as one of eighteen AWS Academy Cloud Council Faculty, including members from MIT, Harvard, and Georgia Tech.
- Supervised research, including an honors thesis that trains Generative Adversarial Networks (GAN) models on a novel dataset. Unlike typical GAN applications, this model generates mathematical objects.
- Developed new techniques to overcome GAN problems such as mode collapse.
- Designed highly lauded data science classes, QTM 250 and 350. Led over 500 students in building ML models on AWS and Google Cloud Platform (GCP) from conception through deployment.
ML Engineer (SageMaker) for Established AI Company2022 - 2022Toptal Client
Technologies: Amazon SageMaker, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Deep Neural Networks, Data Science, Data Visualization, Data Modeling, Data Engineering, Algorithms, Time Series, Time Series Analysis, Supply Chain Optimization, Financial Modeling, Supply Chain, Supply Chain Management (SCM), Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Implemented a neural network-based time series model and trained it using custom Docker containers and AWS SageMaker training jobs. Decreased model building compute costs by a factor of 10 while enabling scalability to orders of magnitude more data.
- Decomposed monolithic time series model code into processing, training, and deployment steps implemented in an AWS SageMaker Pipeline. Decreased lines of code by a factor of 10.
- Mentored a team of three data scientists on using AWS SageMaker tools for MLOPs. Presented to directors in biweekly meetings.
- Impressed the client (a large US rail company) with the project so much that they plan to use it as a building block for new work by their data science team.
Visiting Assistant Professor2013 - 2017Emory University (Dep. of Math. & Computer Science)
Technologies: TensorFlow, Deep Neural Networks, Linux, Mathematics, Jupyter, Bash, Python, Neural Networks, NumPy, Probability Theory, Markov Model, Data Science, Algorithms, Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Developed and managed multiple research projects, two of which delivered publications in high-ranking journals.
- Lectured as an invited speaker at scientific conferences in England, Germany, and the USA.
- Investigated the use of TensorFlow and deep learning on a classification problem in algebraic geometry. Ported code to TensorFlow, benchmarked models and presented this work at the Meeting on Applied Algebraic Geometry, GaTech, 2018.
- Led a team of three postdoctoral researchers in teaching Linear Algebra and Multivariable Calculus.
- Managed curriculum development and evaluation and was recognized for teaching excellence, progressing to Lecturer.