Research Engineer2013 - 2019University of California, Berkeley - EECS Department
Technologies: Scala, C++, Java, Python, Julia, Apache Spark
- Contributed to the Apache Spark cluster computing framework. Focused on Python API performance optimizations, platform compatibility issues, and provided technical and engineering support to outside collaborators.
- Developed an interface to Apache Spark in the Julia language. Julia is a programming language for high-performance numerical and scientific computing applications.
- Created RISE Camp software for conducting web-based training workshops on cluster computing and cloud computing. Implemented using Jupyter notebooks, Docker containers, Node.js, and PostgreSQL.
Research Fellow2014 - 2017Berkeley Institute for Data Science
Technologies: Python, C++, MPI, Julia, Jupyter, Linear Algebra, Mathematical Statistics
- Developed Alchemist, a C++ library for conducting high-performance massive data analysis from within existing Apache Spark pipelines. Alchemist provides for calling MPI-based distributed linear algebra routines from within APIs native to Apache Spark.
- Held regular office hours to assist research scientists and graduate students in designing and developing analyses, debugging code, architecting solutions, and general technical and engineering support.
- Performed research and development activities in statistical algorithms and computational statistics.
Principal Consultant2007 - 2013Adjective Noun, LLC.
Technologies: C, C++, Python, Embedded Linux, Ruby on Rails, SQL
- Provided software design, development, and debugging services in cloud computing, interpreters, servers, databases, and other user-space systems software in Linux, Mac, Unix, and Windows environments.
- Designed and implemented an algorithm in C++ for evaluating outcomes in a probabilistic decision analysis application.
- Created network traversal layer in Java for a P2P application to resolve problems encountered when running on end-user networks that employ network address translation (NAT).
- Developed an extensible and power-efficient embedded Linux distribution for use in touchscreen kiosks.
Compiler Software Engineer2005 - 2007Coral8, Inc.
Technologies: C++, Relational Algebra, SQL, Prolog
- Contributed to the compiler for a streaming data query language based on SQL, implemented in C++.
- Implemented multiple language features including scalar variables, inline schemas, type inference, constant expression folding, and write-to-database.
- Completed several projects in the query optimizer, execution plan optimizer, internal representations, and infrastructure.