Verified Expert in Engineering
Artificial Intelligence (AI) Developer
João is an accomplished researcher, AI expert, and data scientist with a special talent for breaking down large problems into solvable pieces. His background both in R&D and the industry gives him the edge in implementing state-of-the-art solutions while keeping practicality in mind.
Jupyter, Git, Linux, Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
The most amazing...
...thing I've coded lately is a generative AI model to aid in the ideation of new concepts for sportswear.
Lead AI Engineer
- Led a small team of experts working on generative AI, data science, and other deep learning projects.
- Developed state-of-the-art deep learning generative models in the context of fluid dynamics.
- Built natural language processing models to extract meaningful information from unconventional data.
- Explored practical applications of state-of-the-art large language models such as ChatGPT in different domains ranging from law to programming.
Senior Data Scientist
- Developed a module for ranking and predicting water main failures for a leading utility consultant firm in the US. The module uses a specialized deep-learning model that outperforms industry-standard classical statistics models.
- Developed other supporting machine learning models to improve data cleaning and other data-related operations.
- Integrated the module with an existing web platform based on Ruby on Rails with a React front end. Added additional functionality to the platform to support this integration.
- Conceptualized and developed an AI matching algorithm to suggest professionals, such as accountants and lawyers, to clients with specific needs.
- Created the matching algorithm using machine learning and natural language processing to understand and compare information from profiles and requests.
- Designed the system with continuous updates and extensibility in mind. It has since been improved and tweaked with minimal effort.
Invited Assistant Professor
University of Porto
- Co-lectured a course on Algorithm Analysis and Design for second-year undergrad students.
- Prepared exam exercises and questions and then graded the final exams.
- Supervised practical classes and graded practical projects.
Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science Laboratory – University of Porto
- Worked on a public interest project with the aim to modernize and optimize government agencies using AI and data science.
- Used NLP techniques to extract useful information from unstructured text.
- Explored a large and complex public service dataset.
- Worked on classification problems using machine learning techniques.
Senior Software Engineer
Undisclosed Fintech Company
- Implemented automated trading strategies for cryptocurrency markets.
- Designed the system architecture to ensure stability and fault tolerance.
- Implemented custom data visualization pieces to support complex trading data analyses.
Technical Screener for AI and Data Science
- Interviewed potential AI and data science experts looking to join the Toptal network.
- Mentored and trained other AI and data science screeners.
- Contributed to the creation of the screening process and continuously refined it.
Director of Engineering
- Performed a key operational role within the company, as part of a team, by understanding client requirements and matching them with the best talent in the network.
- Helped shape and improve the operational processes of the company.
- Co-developed and tested new screening processes and development specializations to ensure the highest standards of talent quality in new areas.
- Managed several accounts for SMB and enterprise clients all over the world.
- Supported and advised talent working with clients.
Lead Web Developer
- Implemented a web-based business process management system that allows management, visualization, and reporting of business processes and supporting documents.
- Developed the front end using ECMAScript (ES6) and Vue 2 focusing on component re-usability.
- Used Node.js and MongoDB to serve complex data models, including tree structures.
- Interviewed hundreds of applicants looking to join the Toptal network and ensured their technical skills, work ethic, and communication skills met Toptal's standards.
- Mentored and trained many other technical screeners.
- Contributed to the refinement and improvement of Toptal's industry-recognized screening process.
Full-stack Developer | Data Scientist
- Implemented a framework for building complex agronomic models to evaluate crop status and recommend suitable actions.
- Evaluated a big data storage and data mining tool to work with massive collections of data in the domain of large-scale agriculture.
- Implemented a framework for web front-end testing using CasperJS, specific to the company's software product.
- Worked on data visualizations and a process management editor using the BPMN notation.
Data Scientist | Data Visualization Expert
- Integrated a fully featured graphical widget to allow users to build a logical query by wiring a given list of base conditions and logical nodes, such as AND/OR, using basic SVG shapes and D3.js.
- Implemented interactions with several different APIs to build interactive front-end sections of the web app.
- Implemented a Python application to explore and analyze pattern data.
Researcher | PhD Candidate
- Developed a state-of-the-art machine learning approach to sentiment analysis using Python and scikit-learn.
- Developed a web page for data visualization and dissemination using PHP, jQuery, and Highcharts.
- Created a state-of-the-art machine learning-based approach to infer demographic attributes of the author of a given text using Python and scikit-learn.
- Co-developed a web page to showcase different text-mining tools using Python, Bootstrap, jQuery, and D3.js.
- Co-developed rich data visualizations for interconnected political mandates using D3.js.
IT Porto (via Carnegie Mellon University - Portugal Programme)
- Worked on a project designed to collect and analyze vehicular traffic data based on Bluetooth devices.
- Created data analysis tools for Bluetooth data using Python.
- Planned a city-wide deployment of Bluetooth traffic scanners.
- Created the collection application in Python/C and built the back end in PHP to receive and store remote Bluetooth logs.
Generative AI Models for Computational Fluid Dynamics
Music Categorization System
Complaint Ranking System
Express.js, ClojureScript, Bootstrap, Flask, Angular
Vue, Pandas, Node.js, jQuery, Highcharts, REST APIs, DHTMLX, Scikit-learn, D3.js, jQuery UI, React, PyTorch, NumPy, SpaCy, Google Maps, DC.js, Matplotlib, Raphaël, PhantomJS, Leaflet, SciPy, TensorFlow
Jupyter, Mongoose, Git, Reagent, Jira, Atom, Sequelize, IPython, Seaborn, CasperJS, Apache Solr
Data Science, REST, BPMN
Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Linux
Natural Language Processing (NLP), Machine Learning, Data Visualization, Bluetooth, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Deep Learning, APIs, Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs), GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT), Computer Science, Programming, Large Language Models (LLMs), Algorithms, Clustering, Tools, Information Retrieval
MongoDB, PostgreSQL, MySQL
Master's Degree in Computer Science
University of Porto (Faculty of Sciences) - Porto, Portugal
Generative AI with Large Language Models
DeepLearning.AI | AWS
Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs) Specialization
Deep Learning Specialization
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring