Social Media Apps Developer
John-Paul is a leader in the most complex iOS, technical 3D, real time, and product engineering. With broad and deep social, financial, and gaming experience, he's often called on to solve complex problems. He's created many huge successes and industry firsts for clients.
ExperienceSocial Media Apps - 15 yearsRealtime - 15 yearsGame Technology Development - 15 yearsApps - 15 yearsProduct Management - 15 yearsiOS - 15 yearsArchitecture - 10 yearsUnity3D - 10 years
Unity, iOS, Android
The most amazing...
...of my many successes, Fingercoaster is an enormous money maker, and the most complex existing VR/AR system.
Senior Engineer and Architect
- Addressed performance and latency times on the whole stack as the senior engineer with this huge user-base commercial app.
- Worked with the bitwise/GitLab production stack in the typical scrum process.
Discovery Channel | Globant
- Served as a senior team architect for the app and systems for this major media provider.
- Focused on time to market with the alpha app, resolving ongoing issues.
- Managed the team under the CTO, resolving more complex large-project issues, particularly automated testing and custom automation.
Product Lead | iOS and Android
- Architected and developed the upcoming launch of version 2 of these highly commercially successful apps.
- Engineered the fully native Android and fully native iOS versions of these apps which combine social media and camera/image manipulation tech; engineered the complex AWS/Node.js real-time cloud-side.
- Included Shaders, extensive use of camera technology, and typical real-time scaled social media type feed and features.
- Engineered an extremely complex multi-user game-like business training platform fully incorporating highly novel Zoom-like video talk integration for participants for a long-established business training company.
- Executed perhaps the most complex existing Agora video chat application, with highly dynamic rooms, and user transport working closely with Agora.
- Executed the very detailed real-time desktop apps from networking to gameplay layers, architecture to engineering.
- Engineered the scratch-built real-time multiuser game server (AWS, Node, Sockets, MySQL, Express). Engineered the complex real-time telemetry WWW admin side, including the dynamic reach-in control of all online apps in real-time.
- Sourced, hired, and managed technical specialists. Entirely developed the testing regime and created the test department. Sourced, hired, and managed a large real-time multiuser test team. Discovered, hired, and managed the test lead.
iOS Research Engineer
W.L. Gore Research Division
- Worked with the materials science research team, engineered the low-level bench app for their needs.
- Used the Greenfield approach to this fascinating small project in the materials science field.
- Worked on total project from architecture to basic idea discovery to daily project explorations.
iOS Social Media Project Lead
- Served as the iOS/product lead for Bitcast.fm, a major, highly novel, audio-oriented social media startup.
- Executed extremely interactive, real-time, "perfectionist" apps.
- Invented and executed a number of key gamification and highly novel social features and other key IP.
- Engineered various cloud-side services, such as a real-time audio generation service (AWS/Node.js/Express.js/SQL).
Lead Unity | iOS Researcher
A Major Media Group
- Worked directly with the cutting-edge science group of the major global media and content company.
- Led this breakthrough 3D/networking project on the Unity/iOS side.
- Utilized my in-depth knowledge of video streaming, low-level iOS, mesh generation, shader engineering, technical Unity, Metal/OpenGL, streaming, HLS, low-level plugins to rendering engines, VR/AR, and the rendering pipeline.
Product Lead | Head of Research
- Created hugely successful, technically novel attraction products which are the core of Smaaash's sports-oriented urban theme parks.
- Developed attractions for the world's biggest sports figures such as Ronaldo and Sachin Tendulkar.
- Invented and engineered the single highest money-making VR product in existence—the Fingercoaster.
- Led research in bleeding-edge generative mesh, the most novel VR realtime rendering, real-time multiuser XR, motion control machinery.
- "Imagineered" with a broad range of mesh-level generative systems, robotics, image processing, sensors, stadium apps, motion capture, animation, and filmmaking.
- Led projects that resulted in spectacular ticket sales, installation sales, and investments key to the organization's global expansion.
- Staffed and managed leading figures in technical fields, 3D and 2D art departments, and tech lead on major theme park openings globally. Oversaw new factory lines.
Product Lead | CTO
- Led programming, staffing, and research for this novel video-oriented social media project for a California VC team.
- Achieved the game-like, physics-based interface of the project in native low-level iOS, Android.
- Crafted the top-to-bottom architecture, built a five-person team, and engineering for this video-focused social media startup.
- Implemented the security and engineering of an in-house USD-based app currency system (AWS, Node.js, SQL).
- Handled many typical systems of a modern social project—provisioning, messaging, third-party testing companies, Algolia, a Neo-4J based data science team, and so on.
Cloud Engineer | iOS Engineer
- Implemented the in-house real-time device-cloud system for this mapping and scheduling-oriented, high-volume, white-label app system. Included a custom CFRD-like system on AWS.
- Engineered the real-time iOS libraries and apps—emphasis on threading, instantaneous response, performance programming, detailed UX, for this mapping, calendar, and scheduling oriented app system.
- Wrangled all day-to-day app/server issues such as tracking, testing, provisioning, app store, transactions, social, analytics, and pipeline.
Defy Media (Viacom), LA
- Created the enormously financially successful, hit celebrity game for kids: Super Head Esploder X, for the top YouTube celebrities of the day. One of the fastest ever apps to the top ten.
- Invented highly successful additional "minor" features. For example, a crowdfunding campaign which generated $258,000 in a few weeks, and an in-app-purchase idea which cost $3,000 to produce and which generated low six figures in two weekends.
- Organized the app and cloud architecture for the social features of the huge user base.
- Helped streamline multiplayer networking and in-app-purchase systems for the corporation's stable of game development.
- Engineered for many brands with major successes for 15+ years with clients based in the US, Europe, and Asia.
- Focused only on high-value technical challenges. For example, secure transaction projects, "maker" technology for games, and mesh generation research.
Cloud Architect | App Engineer
- Handled all the app engineering for this 20-person East Coast web development team.
- Worked with clients like BRANY for a major pharmaceutical company and a streaming reviews startup for Android and iOS.
- Handled all app engineering for this quality downtown design studio.
- Worked on projects such as the Metrie AR catalog app; a Tylko-like AR furniture app.
CTO | Lead Programmer
de Clermont-Tonnerre, Belgium
- Created, in a few months, a social dot-com for a European startup associated with high-profile investors.
- Worked on iOS and Android engineering, architecture, and staffing.
- Developed a novel prototyping framework which slashed costs.
CTO, Online Transactions and Gaming
InterSoftware Ltd, HK
- Created one of the first in-browser software sets for online casinos. Highly successful for a number of gaming properties in Asia and Europe with a number of six-figure sales.
- Built the PSB server for online blackjack and poker, an early server (C++) for real-time, secure, multiplayer, card-gaming. Three installations with some 20 million hands played and were bought out.
- Operated a successful white-label prepaid debit card company. it provided software services for a number of card companies in Canada and Europe.
- Developed software services for a number of digital currencies such as bank card interoperability and secure provisioning.
LearningDesignNetwork Unity Remote Training Platform
It's the most complex existing VR product. A rack of PCs builds worlds in real-time, driving novel VR-motion-platform software and hardware. Riders "draw their own world" on kiosks and then pay to ride a multi-user, VR-motion experience.
A huge industry hit, it immediately achieved seven figures in machine sales. It is by far the highest ticket sales VR attraction. It often outsells competitors (such as Cruden, Simuline, etc.) by 10-to-1 in side-by-side sites.
Super Head-Esploder X for Viacomhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNTzKHkxki8
Celebrity apps are a difficult field: the direct competitor's app which was created in response completely failed.
Just the "whacky" promotional video for Head Esploder had some 13 million views—it is by far the most successful promo video ever for a digital product for that organization.
It was the first phone-to-pad networking game. An excellent example of generating indie sales by being the first with new technology.
It received much coverage from Mashable, Wired, and conventional news outlets worldwide. It is an excellent example of combining a gimmick with a difficult new technology.
ProtocolBuilder and Other Dot-comshttp://protocolbuilderpro.com
Unity, .NET, Core Data, Unity3D, Realtime, UIKit, SwiftUI
Core Animation, Sockets, API Development, Social APIs, CocoaPods, PubNub, Node.js, AWS Amplify
Agora, Xcode, AWS Mobile Hub, Git, GitHub
Database Design, Data Science, Model View Viewmodel (MVVM)
iOS, Samsung Gear VR, Oculus Rift, Firebase, Android, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Freelancing, In-app Purchases, Product Engineering, Gaming, Physics, 3D, Streaming, Apps, Social Media Apps, A/V Coding, AR Foundation, Augmented Reality (AR), APIs, Transactions, Mesh Development, Architecture, Networks, Game Technology Development, BaaS, Product Management, Games, Virtual Reality (VR), HTC Vive, Google Play Store, Game Design, Mobile UI, Mobile UX, Software Architecture, Roku, WebSockets, eCommerce, Mobile Architecture, 3D Math, Cloud, App Store, Game Engine Programming, Financials, Currency Exchange, Animation, Low-level Programming, Game Development, Videos, Mapping, Mechanical Engineering, Image Analytics, Robotics