Lead iOS Researcher2019 - PRESENTVerizon Group
Technologies: iOS, 3D, Low-level, Streaming
- Worked directly with the science team of the group's cutting-edge research group.
- Led and executed a novel 3D visual/networking technology breakthrough project on the iOS side.
- Required leading expertise in low-level iOS, Metal/OpenGL, 3D technical, Unity, unusual shader technologies, real-time communications, streaming, HLS, mesh generation, low-level plugins, VR/AR, and the rendering pipeline.
Product Lead | Head of Research2013 - PRESENTSmaaash Entertainment, Asia
Technologies: VR, Database, Robotics, Product Engineering, Game Engines
- Created many hugely successful, technically novel attraction products, many being household names in cities with Smaaash's sports-oriented urban theme parks.
- Led research in fields such as "stadium" apps, realtime SQL-to-device, generative mesh, multiuser VR, motion control platforms, spline-handling, world generation via heuristic and learning systems.
- Developed house toolsets for unusual networking (from low-level to cloud), 3D, graphics, machine control as well as practical needs such as payment processing.
- Created the single highest money-making VR product in existence—the Fingercoaster. Invented and engineered attractions for major world sports celebrities such as Ronaldo.
- "Imagineered" with a broad range of robotics (such as ABB), image processing, sensors, novel networking—production of motion capture, animation work, and also conventional filmmaking segments.
- Created hit rides which were key to the organization's expansion into the Middle East and their recent first opening in the USA.
Product Lead | CTO2017 - 2018Spur.io
Technologies: iOS, Currency, Data Science, Cloud, BaaS, Low-level Physics Animation
- Led programming, staffing, and research for this extremely novel social media project for this California VC team.
- Personally engineered the very unusual game-like physics interface of the project, in native low-level iOS, Android. May was initially approached due to his 3D / low-level background after a number of attempts stumbled.
- Top-to-bottom architecture, staffing for the five-person team, planning, engineering for this realtime, iOS/Android video-focused social media.
- Utilized Firebase, AWS, and the like for OCC, combined with custom-built services.
- Architected and developed the in-house USD-based online-offline app currency system (a custom Node/SQL device-server system).
- Led the data science team for the predictive/recommendation systems, incorporating Neo4J with "conventional" cloud technology.
- Managed all the usual ancillary systems that are typical of modern social media product on both platforms such as app provisioning, messaging, third-party testing services, Algolia, and so on.
Cloud Engineer | iOS Engineer2016 - 2017Service Fusion
Technologies: iOS, Android, OCC Cloud Systems
- Implemented the in-house device-cloud system for this high-volume white-label provider.
- Developed device-side SQL engines (iOS and Android apps) for the real-time occasionally connected computing system with PostgreSQL on the AWS cloud-side.
- Programmed the real-time iOS libraries and apps—emphasis on threading, instantaneous response, performance programming, for the complex UX.
- Wrangled day-to-day app and server development—led problem discovery, tracking, OCC testing; developed the APIs, etc, from transport to high level.
- Handled all everyday app provisioning, app store issues, transactions, detail such as social, analytics, pipeline, and workflow.
Game Lead2012 - 2016Defy Media (Viacom), LA
Technologies: In-app Purchase, App Store, Play Store, Unity
- Created the enormously financially successful, hit celebrity game for kids: Super Head Esploder X, for the top YouTube celebrities of the day. One of the fastest ever apps to the top 10.
- Helped establish the Unity3D cloud architecture and corporate game pipeline.
- Conceived and executed many highly financially successful features. For example, a crowdfunding campaign which generated $258,000 in a few weeks, and an in-app-purchase which cost $3,000 to produce and which generated low six figures in a few weeks.
- Organized the Unity3D cloud architecture for the social integration of the huge user base. Introduced BaaS systems.
- Streamlined the Unity3D, multiplayer networking and in-app-purchase systems for Defy's stable of game development companies.
Owner2009 - 2016SMHK Ltd
Technologies: Unity3D, C#, VR, iOS, Cloud
- Engineered for many brands with major successes for 15+ years. Projects for clients in the US, Europe, and Asia.
- Focused particularly on difficult high-value technical challenges. For example, cloud engineering, "maker-" technology for games, and complex mesh generation research.
Cloud Architect | App Engineer2005 - 2016Sourcetop, NY
Technologies: iOS, Android, Cloud (Parse, PubNub, Firebase)
- Handled all the app engineering for this East Coast web development company.
- Executed projects such as a complex iPad app BRANY for a pharmaceutical major; a streaming reviews startup for Android and iOS.
App Engineer2009 - 2015360Design, NY
Technologies: iOS, Android, Cloud
- Handled all the app engineering for this design and web studio.
- Executed projects such as the AR catalog app for Metrie building products (iOS and Android); developed a Tylko-like AR app for a furniture manufacturer (iOS, Android, cloud).
CTO | Lead Programmer2011 - 2012de Clermont-Tonnerre, Belgium
Technologies: Android, iOS, BaaS
- Created, in a few months, a social dot-com for a European startup that was associated with high-profile investors.
- Performed the complete iOS and Android engineering, architecture, and staffing. Executed the cloud-side for a full-featured social dotcom in BaaS. Created a novel prototyping framework to slash costs.
CTO, Online Transactions and Gaming1997 - 2009InterSoftware Ltd, HK
Technologies: Financial, Real-time Gaming Technical Software
- Created one of the first in-browser software sets for online casinos. Highly successful for a number of gaming properties in Asia and Europe with a number of six-figure sales.
- Built the PSB server for online blackjack and poker, an early server (C++) for real-time, secure, multiplayer, card-gaming. Three installations with some 20 million hands played and was bought out.
- Operated a successful white-label prepaid debit card company. it provided software services for a number of card companies in Canada and Europe.
- Provided software services for a number of digital currencies—particularly bank card interoperability and secure server provisioning.