Product Lead | Head of Research2013 - PRESENTSmaaash Entertainment, Asia
Technologies: Unity3D, Oculus, Vive, Robotics, Product Engineering
- Created many hugely successful, technically novel, 3D and VR attraction products, many being household names in cities with Smaaash's sports-oriented urban theme parks.
- Led research in fields such as generative mesh, novel VR, generative motion control platforms, spline-handling, game generation involving heuristic and light learning systems.
- Engineered in-house packages and toolsets for unusual networking (from low-level to cloud), 3D, graphics, novel motion capture and similar fields as well as practical needs such as payment processing.
- Created the single highest money-making VR product in existence—the Fingercoaster. Engineered simulator attractions for the world's biggest sports celebrities such as soccer superstar Ronaldo. This year, invented and executed the 2019 product line of industry-first technology.
- "Imagineered" with a broad range of robotics (such as ABB), image processing, sensors, novel networking—production of motion capture, animation work, and also conventional filmmaking segments.
- Created hit rides which were key to the organization's expansion into the Middle East and their recent first opening in the USA.
CTO2017 - 2018Spur.io
Technologies: iOS, Data Science, Cloud, BaaS, Server-side Swift, Low-level Physics Animation
- Led programming, staffing, and research for this novel social media project for a major California VC team.
- Personally engineered the extremely unusual game-like physics interface of the project, in native low-level iOS, Android. May was initially approached for the project due to his 3D/physics background, after a number of attempts to achieve the unusual interface had stumbled.
- In particular, used Unity3D pipeline for discovery and prototyping, vastly reducing costs and time requirements.
- Utilized Firebase and other BaaS as part of the real-time "occasionally connected computing" service. Achieved for example substantial cost savings with a novel Swift backend approach for certain subsystems.
- Led the data science team for the predictive/recommendation systems, incorporating Neo4J with "conventional" cloud technology.
- Led the complete development (security, topology, algorithms) of an in-house online-offline app currency system.
- Completely managed all the "everyday" ancillary systems typical of modern product on both platforms such as app provisioning, messaging, 3rd party testing services, etc.
Cloud Engineer | iOS Engineer2016 - 2017Service Fusion
Technologies: iOS, Android, OCC Cloud Systems
- Implemented the in-house device-cloud system for this high-volume white-label provider. Maintained an emphasis on racetrack solutions to the real-time cloud-server issues.
- Programmed the real-time iOS libraries and apps—emphasis on threading, instantaneous response, performance programming, for the complex UX.
- Worked on the SQLite engines (iOS and Android apps) for the real-time occasionally connected computing system, with PostgreSQL on the AWS cloud-side.
- Wrangled day-to-day app and server development—led problem discovery, tracking, OCC testing; developed the APIs, etc, from transport to high level.
- Handled all everyday app provisioning, app store issues, transactions, detail such as social, analytics, pipeline and workflow.
Game Lead2012 - 2016Defy Media (Viacom), LA
Technologies: Unity3D, App Store, Play Store
- Created the enormously financially successful, hit celebrity game for kids: Super Head Esploder X, for the top YouTube celebrities of the day. One of the fastest ever apps to the top 10.
- Helped establish the Unity3D cloud architecture and corporate game pipeline.
- Conceived and executed many highly financially successful features. For example, a crowdfunding campaign which generated $258,000 in a few weeks, and an in-app-purchase which cost $3,000 to produce and which generated low six figures in a few weeks.
- Organized the Unity3D cloud architecture for the social integration of the huge user base. Introduced BaaS systems.
- Streamlined the Unity3D, multiplayer networking and in-app-purchase systems for Defy's stable of game development companies.
Owner2009 - 2016SMHK Ltd
Technologies: Unity3D, C#, VR, iOS, Cloud
- Engineered for many brands with major successes for 15+ years.
- Built projects for clients in the US, Europe, and Asia.
- Focused particularly on difficult high-value technical challenges. For example, cloud engineering, "maker-" technology for games, and complex mesh generation research.
Cloud Architect | App Engineer2005 - 2016Sourcetop, NY
Technologies: iOS, Android, Cloud (Parse, PubNub, Firebase)
- Handled all the app engineering for this East Coast web development company.
- Executed projects such as a complex iPad app BRANY for a pharmaceutical major; a streaming reviews startup for Android and iOS.
App Engineer2009 - 2015360Design, NY
Technologies: iOS, Android, Cloud
- Handled all the app engineering for this design and web studio.
- Executed projects such as the AR catalog app for Metrie building products (iOS and Android); developed a Tylko-like AR app for a furniture manufacturer (iOS, Android, cloud).
CTO | Lead Programmer2011 - 2012de Clermont-Tonnerre, Belgium
Technologies: Android, iOS, BaaS
- Created, in a few months, a social dot-com for a European startup that was associated with high-profile investors.
- Performed the complete iOS and Android engineering, architecture, and staffing. Executed the cloud-side for a full-featured social dotcom using Parse and other BAAS. Created a novel prototyping framework in Unity3D.
CTO, Online Transactions and Gaming1997 - 2009InterSoftware Ltd, HK
Technologies: Financial, Real-time Gaming Technical Software
- Created one of the first in-browser software sets for online casinos. It was highly successful for a number of gaming properties in Asia and Europe at the time with mid-six-figure sales to a number of properties.
- Built the PSB server for online blackjack and poker, an early server (C++) for real-time, secure, multiplayer, card-gaming. It had three installations with some 20 million hands played and was bought out.
- Operated a very successful white-label prepaid debit card company. it provided software services for a number of card companies in Canada and Europe.
- Created the SplitBot robotics prototype for a European startup—a wheeled robotics device, one of the first robotics/cloud-connected devices.
- Provided software services for a number of digital currencies—particularly bank card interoperability and secure server provisioning.