Software Developer in Madison, AL, United States
Lead iOS Researcher2019 - PRESENTVerizon Group
Technologies: iOS, 3D, Streaming/Transactions
- Worked directly with the science team of the group's cutting-edge research group.
- Led and executed a novel visual/networking technology breakthrough project on the iOS side.
- Used my expertise in all of the real-time transactional communications, iOS, Unity, streaming, HLS, Metal, unusual shader technologies, mesh generation, low-level plugins, VR/AR, and the rendering pipeline.
Product Lead | Head of Research2013 - PRESENTSmaaash Entertainment, Asia
Technologies: VR, Database, Robotics, Product Engineering, Game Engines
- Created many hugely successful, technically novel attraction products, many being household names in cities with Smaaash's sports-oriented urban theme parks.
- Led research in fields such as the realtime SQL-to-device, generative mesh, multiuser VR, motion control platforms, spline-handling, world generation via heuristic and learning systems.
- Developed house toolsets for unusual networking (from low-level to cloud), 3D, graphics, machine control as well as practical needs such as payment processing.
- Created the single highest money-making VR product in existence—the Fingercoaster. Invented and engineered attractions for major world sports celebrities such as Ronaldo.
- "Imagineered" with a broad range of robotics (such as ABB), image processing, sensors, novel networking—production of motion capture, animation work, and also conventional filmmaking segments.
- Created hit rides which were key to the organization's expansion into the Middle East and their recent first opening in the USA.
Product Lead | CTO2017 - 2018Spur.io
Technologies: iOS, Currency, Data Science, Cloud, BaaS, Low-level Physics Animation
- Led programming, staffing, and research for this novel financial-based social media project for this California VC team.
- Complete development (security, structure) of the in-house USD-based online-offline app currency system. (A custom Node/SQL device-server system.).
- Personally engineered the very unusual game-like physics interface of the project, in native low-level iOS, Android. May was initially approached due to his 3D background after a number of attempts stumbled. A Unity prototyping pipeline vastly reduced costs and time.
- Utilized Firebase and other BaaS as part of the real-time "occasionally connected computing" service, combined with custom services. Achieved for example substantial cost savings with a novel Swift backend approach for certain subsystems.
- Led the data science team for the predictive/recommendation systems, incorporating Neo4J with "conventional" cloud technology.
- Completely managed the "everyday" ancillary systems typical of modern social media product on both platforms such as app provisioning, messaging, 3rd party testing services, Algolia etc etc.
Cloud Engineer | iOS Engineer2016 - 2017Service Fusion
Technologies: iOS, Android, OCC Cloud Systems
- Implemented the in-house device-cloud system for this high-volume white-label provider.
- The device-side SQL engines (iOS and Android apps) for the real-time occasionally connected computing system, with PostgreSQL on the AWS cloud-side.
- Programmed the real-time iOS libraries and apps—emphasis on threading, instantaneous response, performance programming, for the complex UX.
- Wrangled day-to-day app and server development—led problem discovery, tracking, OCC testing; developed the APIs, etc, from transport to high level.
- Handled all everyday app provisioning, app store issues, transactions, detail such as social, analytics, pipeline, and workflow.
Game Lead2012 - 2016Defy Media (Viacom), LA
Technologies: In-App Purchase, App Store, Play Store, Unity
- Created the enormously financially successful, hit celebrity game for kids: Super Head Esploder X, for the top YouTube celebrities of the day. One of the fastest ever apps to the top 10.
- Helped establish the Unity3D cloud architecture and corporate game pipeline.
- Conceived and executed many highly financially successful features. For example, a crowdfunding campaign which generated $258,000 in a few weeks, and an in-app-purchase which cost $3,000 to produce and which generated low six figures in a few weeks.
- Organized the Unity3D cloud architecture for the social integration of the huge user base. Introduced BaaS systems.
- Streamlined the Unity3D, multiplayer networking and in-app-purchase systems for Defy's stable of game development companies.
Owner2009 - 2016SMHK Ltd
Technologies: Unity3D, C#, VR, iOS, Cloud
- Engineered for many brands with major successes for 15+ years.
- Built projects for clients in the US, Europe, and Asia.
- Focused particularly on difficult high-value technical challenges. For example, cloud engineering, "maker-" technology for games, and complex mesh generation research.
Cloud Architect | App Engineer2005 - 2016Sourcetop, NY
Technologies: iOS, Android, Cloud (Parse, PubNub, Firebase)
- Handled all the app engineering for this East Coast web development company.
- Executed projects such as a complex iPad app BRANY for a pharmaceutical major; a streaming reviews startup for Android and iOS.
App Engineer2009 - 2015360Design, NY
Technologies: iOS, Android, Cloud
- Handled all the app engineering for this design and web studio.
- Executed projects such as the AR catalog app for Metrie building products (iOS and Android); developed a Tylko-like AR app for a furniture manufacturer (iOS, Android, cloud).
CTO | Lead Programmer2011 - 2012de Clermont-Tonnerre, Belgium
Technologies: Android, iOS, BaaS
- Created, in a few months, a social dot-com for a European startup that was associated with high-profile investors.
- Performed the complete iOS and Android engineering, architecture, and staffing. Executed the cloud-side for a full-featured social dotcom using Parse and other BAAS. Created a novel prototyping framework in Unity3D.
CTO, Online Transactions and Gaming1997 - 2009InterSoftware Ltd, HK
Technologies: Financial, Real-time Gaming Technical Software
- Created one of the first in-browser software sets for online casinos. It was highly successful for a number of gaming properties in Asia and Europe at the time with mid-six-figure sales to a number of properties.
- Built the PSB server for online blackjack and poker, an early server (C++) for real-time, secure, multiplayer, card-gaming. It had three installations with some 20 million hands played and was bought out.
- Operated a very successful white-label prepaid debit card company. it provided software services for a number of card companies in Canada and Europe.
- Provided software services for a number of digital currencies—particularly bank card interoperability and secure server provisioning.
- Fingercoaster (Development)
I created Fingercoaster for Smaaash Entertainment, Asia—by far the world's most successful VR ride.
It's the most complex existing VR product. A rack of PCs builds worlds in real-time, driving novel VR-motion-platform software and hardware. Riders "draw their own world" on kiosks and then pay to ride a multi-user, VR-motion experience.
A huge industry hit, it immediately achieved seven figures in machine sales. It is far and away the highest ticket sales VR attraction. It often outsells competitors (such as Cruden, Simuline, etc.) by 10-to-1 in side-by-side sites.
- Goalstopper (Development)
For Star Sports Asia and for the world's biggest sports brand, Ronaldo, I created a number of complex Unity-based installations and simulators. Goalstopper is a hit. It's a showpiece of Unity to low-level engineering.
- Super Head-Esploder X for Viacom (Development)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNTzKHkxki8
One of the fastest ever hits to make the top ten in the App Store. It's a perfectly executed kid's game for the number one YouTube celebrities. A particular focus was paid on perfectly handling in-app purchases at this enormous financial volume level.
Celebrity apps are a difficult field: the direct competitor's app which was created in response completely failed. Just the "whacky" promotional video for Head Esploder had some 13 million views—indeed it was and remains far and away the most successful promo video for a digital product for that organization.
- PadRacer (Other amazing things)http://padracer.com
We made the hit—PadRacer—at the time of the launch of the iPad. It had $300,000+ in sales. It was the first phone-to-pad networking game.
It's an excellent example of generating huge indie sales by being the first with the technology. The app received much coverage at the time in the online outlets such as Mashable, Wired as well as a number of major newspapers worldwide. It's an excellent example of combining a gimmick with a difficult new technology—resulting in excellent press coverage and hence financial success.
- TrackTool (Other amazing things)
I built the first good finger-to-mesh system.
Starting with a line drawing, it creates a 3D mesh and other assets needed for racetracks for car-racing games. The tool set was sold to a number of studios—an example of financial success by executing a technology first.
- ProtocolBuilder and Other Dot-coms (Development)http://protocolbuilderpro.com
I built ProtocolBuilder for the pharma industry. The other links are typical complex iOS/Android apps for dot-coms with a complex server side.
Other examples in recent years include:
• Bookmovement.com (web architecture, app, staffing)
• Metrie.com (AR-catalog apps)
• Skywall (a European social startup)
OtherAPIs, Transactions, Mesh Development, Architecture, Networking, Game Technology Development, BaaS, Product