Principal Engineer2016 - PRESENTSurprisingly Normal
Technologies: Google Cloud Datastore, Google App Engine, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), REST, Unix, Linux, MacOS, WatchOS, iOS, Java, Swift
- Developed SenseEV: a Tesla vehicle app to create recurring schedules for climate control.
- Developed WordPract: an individualized early elementary sight word practice app with assessments.
- Developed MathPract: an individualized early elementary addition and subtraction practice app with assessments.
- Developed Mathious: a teacher-led, whole-class addition and subtraction practice app with ongoing assessment of student understanding.
- Developed MyB: a Mercedes-Benz B-Class app that shows the charge status on your watch and phone.
Back-end Platform Developer2017 - 2017Collaborist (via Toptal)
Technologies: REST, Google Cloud Datastore, Google App Engine, Java
- Implemented a REST API service back-end in Java on the Google App Engine and Google Cloud Datastore.
- Documented a REST API in Swagger and Visual Paradigm.
- Wrote unit tests in JUnit.
- Designed a data model for a social network platform.
- Cleaned and imported CSV data into a non-relational database.
Engineering Manager2013 - 2016Ticketfly
Technologies: Play, Angular, Capistrano, Chef, MySQL, Scala, Java, Grails
- Delivered five additional projects—including a new product by pioneering outsourced distributed development.
- Reduced emergency client issues by 40% year over year by implementing rigorous communication and tracking protocols across company departments.
- Shortened the ramp-up and improved preparedness by collaborating with product training to improve engineering onboarding curriculum.
- Increased delivery of high-value features by coaching local and remote teams in Scrum methods.
- Transitioned independent developers to cross-functional development by encouraging team-building activities.
Lead Engineer2011 - 2013HP Autonomy
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), HP Cloud, Chef, Vagrant, AWS, AWS EC2, MySQL, Java
- Decreased the unplanned downtime by designing and implementing an operations dashboard.
- Reduced the development effort by devising environment bootstrapping with Vagrant/Chef virtual machines.
- Liaised with product management and interviewed customers.
- Aided the migration from Amazon EC2 to Autonomy and HP Clouds.
Senior Engineer2007 - 2011Yield Software
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), jQuery, Redshift, AWS, AWS EC2, Mondrian, MySQL, Java
- Reduced the implementation duration by outsourcing development of LPO analysis tests and fixes.
- Prevented anticipated increases in operation spending by improving the task-scheduler algorithm implementation.
- Designed and implemented the Landing Page Optimization module, receiving the US Patent 8,276,086.
Manager of Engineering | List Manager2003 - 2007Lyris
Technologies: Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP), RSS Feeds, SPF, SMTP, Unix, Linux, Microsoft Visual C++, Tcl, C++
- Managed the global development team to build and release five versions of List Manager, including a redesigned UI.
- Proposed and led development teams for three major features: improved content management and creation, a library of hosted and referenced images, and enhanced reporting workflow.
- Developed a simplified user interface to track SMTP sessions, messages, and recipients in MailShield Server Professional.
- Implemented SPF, RSS, and clustering in List Manager.
- Maintained the legacy product MailEngine through two revisions.
Senior Software Engineer2000 - 2002eLogicity
Technologies: RFID, XML, Jakarta EE, Apache Tomcat, Servlets, Java
- Refactored several functions—reducing code size by 10% over 250,000+ LOC. Streamlined memory allocation in HTML generation—reducing display time by 80% for 100-row tables.
- Automated the remote instance synchronization.
- Devised a solution to prevent fraudulent application use.
- Led the development to order, track, and bill RFIDs.
- Led the development to store, catalog, and retrieve externally-generated shipment documents.
- Developed an algorithm to choose vessels and voyages matching user-specified dates, locations, carriers, and cargo.
- Expanded the ownership and permission flexibility.
Lead Technical Consultant1996 - 2000Systems Solutions Group
Technologies: IVR, Visual Basic, Microsoft Visual C++, wxWidgets, SQL, C++
- Extended the aging Sun workstation lifetime with a modern screen pop. Spared multiple database connection licenses with a single connection server interfacing desktop applications and database. Traveled to New York, NY.
- Increased the busy-period account system serial line use from 61% to 100% with geographically-distributed fault-tolerant TCP/IP to RS-232 multiplexer. Traveled to New York, NY.
- Customized three screen pops for new call center switches in Arizona, Colorado, and Idaho in the time allocated for one screen pop installation. Traveled to Chandler, AZ and Boise, ID.