Verified Expert in Engineering
Jon has over 20 years of experience in leadership, web application design, development, and infrastructure using a variety of platforms, including React, Node.js, React Native, NoSQL, and MySQL. Jon is an exceptional communicator and works well individually and as a team player or leader.
React, React Native, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Node.js
The most amazing...
...work I've done has been with remote patient monitoring to help improve patient care and make healthcare more affordable and inclusive.
Chief Technical Officer
Community Wellness Technology
- Architected and led the development of a remote patient monitoring platform using React, React Native, AWS, and MongoDB technologies.
- Included Bluetooth integration of devices with React Native app for remote monitoring of patients.
- Provided security leadership for all security and technology-related operations within the company.
- Led a team to build out R&D projects based on the needs of patients, focusing on a variety of IoT, AI, Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), and wearable technologies.
- Developed IoT devices for Bluetooth integration of remote patient monitoring and integration with ESP32 for data collection.
- Worked on the design of patented pill dispenser using ESP32 controller with ULN2003 stepper motors.
CTO | Principal Consultant
- Served as the architect for a website that supported over 20 million hits per day and a 9TB data warehouse design for 16 million users.
- Performed big data analysis using artificial intelligence techniques, including neural networks, regression analysis, and intelligent algorithms.
- Contributed to security analysis, ethical hacking, and security policy documentation for multiple clients and businesses across various websites and infrastructures.
- Developed a multitier Amazon Cloud-based front-end application for the customer support of Charter.net.
- Created and supported security policies and procedures across multiple cloud environments, including AWS, Azure, and Rackspace Cloud.
- Developed an internal React Native application for EnchantaFrame digital art frame. This integrates with Google Compute Platform (GCP) and a Firestore back end for a NoSQL database, authentication, and analytics.
- Built a dual robotic arm system using Raspberry Pi and Parallax controllers for harvesting specialty crops.
- Created an IoT device using ESP32 and TMP36 to connect via Bluetooth and WiFi as a remote server for a Grafana-based dashboard displayed on an Android tablet in kiosk mode.
- Provided architecture design for the iOS to EHR integration using HL7 protocol—both directly to the facility EHR and through AWS cloud.
- Coded POC for the AWS Lambda functions to create HL7 messages on the S3 bucket upload of documents and then transfer those messages via SFTP to the facility EHR.
- Architected a long-term implementation design for a full REST API, AWS Lambda, and PostgreSQL-based system to integrate a two-way sync between iOS devices at a facility. Also designed a React portal for system maintenance.
Spring Mobile Solutions
- Created a proof-of-concept design and implementation for microservices integration with the existing SQL Server database in order to facilitate migration from the legacy system.
- Explored, recommended, and demonstrated architecture implementation for microservices using serverless.com architecture.
- Reviewed existing architecture to provide recommendations for performance, security, and maintainability improvement.
React Native Engineer
Anthem - Digital (Reorg - Web & Mobile)
- Architected and developed a React Native application from scratch to support the transition from native applications.
- Contributed to the native bridge functionality between iOS/Android and React Native applications.
- Supported the onboarding of other development teams at Anthem for React Native development.
Principal Infrastructure Architect
- Provided lead technical support, development, and training of Guidewire applications in various heterogeneous environments, including Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services (AWS), and Google Compute Platform (GCP).
- Created a performance, functional, and security testing tool for generating large volumes of data to be used against the policy system. Generated 10 million policies and showed that the application could perform as expected.
- Provided support and development for customers' initial rollout of ClaimCenter as the integration architect.
- Performed security analysis, PCI compliance, and ethical hacker testing of external-facing applications, including penetration testing, performance load analysis, and overall site security.
- Integrated the back end with over 16 external systems, including COA, Google Maps, DVLA, CUEPI, HPI, and MIAFTR.
AWS Security Architect
University of Colorado Boulder
- Reviewed existing AWS architecture for security requirements and adherence.
- Performed pen testing and security vulnerability analysis of website app.
- Supplied security recommendations for website updates.
- Provided technical lead support for the development of an education-focused application school collaboration. This was a web-based Java application with a MySQL back-end database designed to support 8,000 schools and 16,000,000 students.
- Led a team of remote developers to implement various portions of the education application.
- Took responsibility for all aspects of technology within HotChalk, including infrastructure, CRM, databases, security, and backups.
VP of Engineering
- Implemented a web-based project management application to provide collaboration and monitoring of projects.
- Led a team of remote developers for testing and support of the application.
- Provided support for investment acquisition and funding.
Remote Patient Monitor EHRhttps://communitywellness.com
Charter.net Web Applicationhttp://charter.net
Code for Vermont CVOEO Mobile Apphttps://github.com/codeforbtv/cvoeo-app
The integrated weather forecast for my location is inaccurate when using Alexa with Amazon Echo Dot. This location has a significant microclimate, and getting an accurate forecast is best done through Weather Underground. This is why I developed my own weather station and linked it to Alexa Flash Briefing.
Robotic Arm for Saffron Harvestinghttps://youtu.be/7tOFASmWVNk
IoT Thermometer and Aggregate House Displayhttps://github.com/jfenner/esp32-iot
The ESP32 worked as a server to provide temperature information in real time via a REST API. The dashboard was hosted on a Raspberry Pi device using Grafana and displayed on an Android tablet in kiosk mode—displaying the information on full screen—including inside and outside temperatures, power consumption, solar production, and power status.
Generating Content Using ChatGPThttp://geektalk.ai/
AWS HA, React Native, Express.js, Spring, Django, AngularJS, Redux, Flutter, .NET, CakePHP
Node.js, REST APIs, React, Google Calendar API, Stripe, Stripe API, Stripe Connect, OpenAPI, Twilio API, Shopify API, React Redux, Pandas, Google Maps, Parallax, PyTorch, WordPress API
AWS Fargate, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), Stripe Checkout, Microsoft Excel, Zapier, GitLab, Amazon CloudWatch, GitHub, Jenkins, Terraform, ELK (Elastic Stack), Kibana, Logstash, Figma, Plesk, SMART on FHIR, Apache Tomcat, MongoDB Atlas, Expo
REST, Microservices, B2B, DevSecOps, Mobile Development, HIPAA Compliance, Enterprise Application Architecture, Web Architecture, Application Architecture, Microservices Architecture, Unit Testing, Requirements Analysis, Agile, DevOps, Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR), Security Software Development, Data Science, HL7 FHIR Standard
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure, AWS Lambda, MacOS, Raspberry Pi, Shopify, WordPress, Amazon EC2, Twilio, Mobile, Cloud Native, iOS, Android, Oracle, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Bluetooth LE, Firebase, Amazon Alexa, Windows, Eclipse, Linux, Arduino, AWS Elastic Beanstalk
MySQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Databases, NoSQL, Database Security, SQL Server 2016, Oracle RDS, MongoDB, Data Lakes, Redis, Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server
Security, IT Security, Project Management, Network Security, Cybersecurity, Banking & Finance, Healthcare
Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), CTO, Leadership, Consulting, Amazon API Gateway, System Architecture, Architecture, APIs, Full-stack, Software as a Service (SaaS), Team Leadership, Documentation, SaaS, Software Architecture, API Integration, Back-end, Responsive Web Apps, Minimum Viable Product (MVP), Web Development, Healthcare IT, Internet of Things (IoT), Web Security, Electronic Medical Records (EMR), Electronic Health Records (EHR), Payment APIs, Engineering, Product Growth, Fintech, Smart Homes, Smart Devices, Software Engineering, Technical Writing, Security Policies & Procedures, SecOps, Cloud, Stripe Payments, Trading, Forex, Data Analysis, Data Analytics, Mobile Apps, Mobile App Development, MERN Stack, Technical Leadership, Cloud Architecture, Data Protection, Compliance, Full-stack Development, Startups, Early-stage Startups, Learning Management Systems (LMS), Security Architecture, Risk Management, IT Management, Vulnerability Assessment, Embedded Systems, Cloud Security, Enterprise Architecture, Enterprise, Stripe Subscriptions, Reverse Engineering, Solution Architecture, Cryptography, Mobile Security, Networks, Web Scraping, Data Security, Cisco, SIEM, Authentication, Vulnerability Identification, Distributed Systems, System Architecture Design, CI/CD Pipelines, Integration Testing, Amazon Route 53, Software Development Management, Technical Product Management, Product Owner, CISO, System Administration, Monitoring, Networking, Data Architecture, Data Scraping, Edtech, FTP, OpenAI GPT-4 API, Scalability, Scraping, Technical Documentation, Integration, Information Security, DNS, IT Administration, Software Design, Domain-driven Design (DDD), Serverless, Application Security, Identity & Access Management (IAM), Algorithms, Computer Security, Financial Markets, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Wearables, Agile Delivery, Front-end, Machine Learning, Appointment Booking, Booking Apps, PCI, Firmware, Remote Control, Bluetooth, Statistical Analysis, Video Streaming, Embedded Development, Infrastructure as Code (IaC), Product Management, SOC 2, OpenAI GPT-3 API, Language Models, Writing & Editing, Mobile APIs, EHR, HL7, Image Recognition, Zoho, Algorithmic Trading, Hardware Platform Interfaces (HPI), IoT Security, Grafana 2, Storybook, Transportation & Logistics, Reinsurance, DMARC, ChatGPT, AI to WordPress
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science
University of Texas at Arlington - Arlington, TX, USA
AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Professional
Certified Ethical Hacker