Verified Expert in Engineering
Data Modeling Developer
Jon does data. For over 20 years, he has built many different database systems, data warehouses, data visualization, and reporting systems. He has experience in different industries (advertising, pharmaceutical, publishing, CPG, software etc.) and a broad range of exposure to the tech stack (network, OS, database, UI), but his strength is in data related challenges. He is a team player as well as a great collaborator and communicator.
Linux, Git, Windows
The most amazing...
...product I've created was a data warehouse and visualization solution that was the primary contributor leading to a corporate multi-million dollar sale.
- Composed Python code to reliably extract data from Redshift and load it to Neo4j.
- Designed business practices and procedures in a graph model.
- Developed methods to improve and ensure the quality of the graph.
- Supported all data engineering needs for a critical supply chain application.
GIS Data Engineer
- Ingested and analyzed large data sets to identify behavioral patterns.
- Analyzed road usage and traffic and published a report of findings.
- Used GPS data to identify cohorts of users and measure the flow of resources.
Data Warehouse Engineer
- Designed a data warehouse star schema of Kimball style facts and dimensions.
- Worked closely with business leaders to answer business-critical questions that add value.
- Integrated multiple sources using Stitch and other means.
- Wrote ETL procedures to orchestrate regular loads.
- Evaluated and recommended third-party tools based on functionality and price.
- Mapped eCommerce flow and identified optimization opportunities.
- Formulated an optimization plan and presented it to executive leadership.
- Developed techniques to automate integration paths between multiple off-the-shelf products.
Volvo Cars Americas
- Supported a data lake project to catalog a large list of internal data sources.
- Vetted and chose an off-the-shelf data catalog product from 19 competitors.
- Presented the results of the data catalog selection process to senior leadership verbally and in writing.
- Helped define a data strategy for the Salesforce DMP.
- Created a data product from POI data using spatial techniques.
- Used SQL to transform and analyze positional data.
- Used PostGIS functions to perform a complex geospatial analysis.
VP, Product Engineering
- Created a new data management platform practice in the company and delivered services to clients.
- Managed an Apache Spark development team that processed large amounts of weblog data continuously,.
- Managed and led a data warehouse product team that delivered insights to clients.
- Envisioned and prototyped a new data-driven product including database design and creation.
- Architected a new data strategy for an existing data product in order to monetize existing investments.
Senior Director, Data Services
- Led the design and delivery of a marketing analytics data warehouse/business intelligence system using the Agile methodology.
- Managed all database systems across the company, consisting of five major database platforms—over 50TB of data—in four major products, with nine direct reports on two continents.
- Built a team of remote database administrators (DBAs).
- Built a profitability model and tracked the value of the organization.
- Onboarded a Netezza data warehouse to reduce the processing time of daily jobs from over 24 hours to less than two.
- Established and implemented data security policies.
- Developed a flexible digital marketing data warehouse system to manage the unique needs of each client.
- Created data cleansing procedures to speed up the onboarding of client data.
- Selected the best of bread technologies for data visualization and dashboarding needs and then implemented client-facing dashboards.
- Introduced and implemented the Agile methodology to an existing software development team.
- Designed and implemented a data warehouse framework SDK in Bash.
Manager, Scientific Computing
- Wrote a PL/SQL library as an API to the database for all internally developed apps.
- Developed a security model, implemented, in PL/SQL, that was used by all client applications.
- Redesigned a large database model (~100 entities) for increased efficiency and usability.
- Wrote SQL reports which gave management insights into product inventory.
- Administered an Oracle database cluster, including backup, recovery, HA, tuning, security, and integrations.
Manager, Chemical Systems and Application Development
Institute for Scientific Information
- Developed QA programs to ensure data quality.
- Developed an MS Access application to automate manual processes.
- Administered an Oracle database that served as the core of a data product, including installation, security, backup, recovery, availability, and integrations with third-party tools.
- Served as the system administrator of the VAX VMS systems that powered the database and product systems.
- Envisioned and proposed possible new product ideas, including documentation and feasibility studies.
- Provided on-site and overseas training and support for the flagship data product, all in French.
Data Warehouse for Fintech Startup
PL/SQL and Bash Data Warehouse Framework
Marketing Data Warehouse Using Redshift and Tableau
Generating Application Code at Scale
SQL, Python, Snowflake, Bash
Atlassian, Stitch Data, Tableau, Slack, Google Sheets, Visual SourceSafe, Microsoft Access, Boto 3, Git, Datorama, Shopify Plus, Erwin
Database Design, Business Intelligence (BI), Agile, Agile Software Development, ETL, Spatial Databases
PL/SQL, Oracle PL/SQL, PL/SQL Developer, Database Administration (DBA), Neo4j, MySQL, Redshift, Apache Hive, Greenplum, NetApp, Netezza, PostgreSQL, SQL Server 2012, PostGIS
Data Engineering, Data Modeling, DMP, Data Warehousing, Data Warehouse Design, Analytics, ETL Development, eCommerce Analysis, Data, VMS, Catalogs, Logistics, NetSuite, HIPAA Electronic Data Interchange (EDI), Microsoft 365, Intuit QuickBooks, eCommerce
Oracle, Oracle Database, Windows, Adobe Audience Manager, Pentaho, Unix, Shopify, AWS Lambda, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Linux
Bachelor's Degree in French
University of Utah - Utah
Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry
University of Utah - Utah
Adobe Certified Expert, AAM Business Practitioner
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring