Java Developer in Austin, TX, United States
Unity Developer2016 - 2017ReadZinc
Technologies: Unity3D, SVN, C#
- Developed novel data visualization technologies with the Unity3D engine.
- Worked on a small team to rapidly produce prototypes for testing.
- Worked with artists to incorporate art and design into a procedurally generated environment.
iOS Developer2016 - 2017VeepWorks
Technologies: Swift, Git, Xcode, iOS, Google Maps SDK
- Built a user/group and user/user messaging interface which mimicked the core feature of the native iOS messaging application.
- Used the Google Maps SDK to power user-customized interactive maps, location-triggered events and user to user location sharing.
- Interfaced an iOS client with a REST API back-end to deliver a user-specific experience.
Lab Manager | Research Engineer2015 - 2017The University of Texas at Austin, Institute for Computational Engineering and Sciences
Technologies: LabVIEW, MATLAB, Mathematica
- Designed software to reconstruct 3D representations of serially scanned and sectioned tissue samples.
- Developed adaptive control software for a novel mechanical tissue which to accomplish sub-micron resolutions deformation control.
- Built hardware components for custom lab devices.
- Oversaw the daily operations of the lab, including managing inventory and directing research assistants.
- Coordinated a full laboratory relocation with zero device damage and minimal project interruption.
- Co-authored two currently published scientific papers and several others pending publication.
Full-stack Developer2015 - 2016Crave Logistics
- Worked on a small team to quickly spin out prototype applications.
- Developed iOS and Android client applications to provide schedule and routing information to drivers.
Android Developer2014 - 2015AVAI Mobile
Technologies: Android SDK, TeamCity, Git, Eclipse, Android Studio
- Developed Android platform software to support over 100 mobile applications.
- Wrote build server scripts and managed build server operations for Android projects.
Android Test Engineer2013 - 2014Klink LLC
Technologies: Android, Expresso, Robotium, Git, Google Scripts, Python, REST
- Developed automation test suites to streamline and improve the coverage of quality assurance testing.
- Wrote Python and Google scripts powered tracking tools which interfaced with JIRA REST services to provide in-depth statistics for bug tracking.
- VeepWorks DREAM App (Development)
A client needed an Android application to be ported to iOS in a short time frame. The application was very UI intensive and had several features including user-user and user-group messaging, location tracking, location triggers, and several others features. Although originally designed for Android, the UI and application, in general, functioned well and looked great!
- ReadZinc Data Visualization Software (Development)
ReadZinc was an avant-garde idea which offered a new way to consume text-based media. At the heart of the project was a method to procedurally generate art and text-geometry using passage context and grammar elements. The front-end application was built using one of my favorite platforms, Unity3D. The application was very graphic intensive. Since the application was designed for mobile devices, we worked at the limit of what the hardware would allow.
- Crave Delivery Logistics Full-stack Development (Development)
I worked on a team of no more than five people to build a mobile application to support a startup as fast as possible. I implemented both the iOS client as well as all of the server-side code. Our application supported multiple user types and allowed for scheduling deliveries and pickups as well as routing information to couriers.
- Small-scale Biaxial Tester with In-plane Deformation Control (Development)http://biomechanical.asmedigitalcollection.asme.org/article.aspx?articleid=2666965
Simulations of soft tissues rely on constitutive models whose form must be generated by in-vitro experimentation. For membranes and thin specimens, planar biaxial testing systems have been used, but have always been limited in their ability to fully prescribe in-plane F2D. We developed a novel planar biaxial testing device that was capable of full control of the in-plane deformation gradient tensor F2D and of testing specimens as small as ~4 mm x 4 mm. A sliding motion controller implementation drove 12 independent actuators arms and allowed us to enforce any arbitrary F2D with a high degree of accuracy.
I worked at multiple levels on this project: writing analysis software to assess device performance, determine control parameters and analyze final device results. I even designed some of the hardware components in SolidWorks. The analysis software was written in MATLAB and Mathematica and the UI and control software was written in LabVIEW.
- AstroNinja Game (Development)https://jordangraves.itch.io/astroninja
AstroNinja was a personal project of mine which included a back-end powered by Python and the Google App Engine and a front-end built using C# and Unity3D. My favorite features are the smooth blended animations using the Mecanim system and the audio-driven animations using the real-time FFTs of audio loops. Since the audio was such an important part of the gameplay experience, I decided to compose the music and create all of the audio effects from a few instrument libraries myself. The result is a game which intimately blends visuals, audio, and gameplay.
ParadigmsObject-oriented Programming (OOP), Asynchronous Programming, Agile Software Development, REST, Test Automation
PlatformsiOS, Android, Google App Engine, Firebase
OtherMobile Device Development, Back-end Development
ToolsSubversion (SVN), MATLAB, Git, Cascade CMS, Jira, Mathematica, Biopython
FrameworksDjango, Bottle, Unity3D, Flask
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science2010 - 2015The University of Texas - Austin, TX, USA