Verified Expert in Engineering
Data Engineer and Developer
Joseph designs and builds database systems as well as at the operational infrastructure to run them. He's led data engineering teams and has expertise in OLTP, data warehousing, and globally distributed NoSQL systems. Along the way, Joseph has made meaningful open-source contributions and developed a GitHub portfolio of database reference work.
Data Warehouse Design, Data Warehousing, Data Engineering, ETL, SQL, PostgreSQL, Bash, Python
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on won an Emmy in 2005 for our engineering effort bringing live TV to mobile phones.
- Migrated the codebase to a container-first, CI/CD system for hands-off automated testing and deployment using Docker, Python, Bash, and Codefresh.
- Built various CLI tools and libraries to manipulate segment.io plans, GitHub repositories, and Tableau resources. Written with Bash, SQL, and Python.
- Ran Airflow ETL hosted in Astronomer Cloud and coded the ETL in Python, SQL.
- Provided mentoring and training to team members on SQL performance tuning, collaborative coding, and docker container development.
- Advised the director and VP-level staff and helped drive cultural advance in the team's approach to collaborative development.
Test Automation Developer
- Built concurrency into automated tests and CI systems. Mostly with Groovy and Python.
- Gave technical talks on TCP/IP networking, SQL, and database systems.
- Identified and fixed performance bottlenecks in Linux VMs.
- Coded features and bug fixes for a custom Python test integration system.
- Coded cmd-line utilities, RESTful APIs, and client apps using Bash, Go, and SQL.
- Contributed enhancements to the Moby project. See Github.com/moby/moby/pull/27565.
- Wrote a software gateway in Go between Kubernetes and legacy network hardware.
- Advised directors and VPs on approaches to distributed database systems.
Data Engineering Manager
- Provided guidance, feedback, and leadership to a data engineering team; set the tone for technical direction with engineering and analytics teams.
- Built Lookout's Hadoop cluster running Hive, Impala, HBase, and Map/Reduce jobs.
- Used my DBA, coding, and Unix sysadmin skills to improve performance, preserve data integrity, and maintain system availability.
- Coded ETL and automation tools using Go, C, Bash, and Python.
- Managed MySQL databases used for analytics, warehousing, and reporting.
Software Engineer in Testing
- Tested various C/C++ and Perl daemons that comprise both Cloudmark's anti-spam accuracy infrastructure and its enterprise MTA product.
- Searched, examined, and evaluated code for defects.
- Wrote code using C, Perl, Bash, and SQL to defend against regression, demonstrate correctness, and highlight defects.
- Assisted with Oracle administration and MySQL debugging.
SQL, Python, Bash, Python 3, Go, Perl, Groovy
ETL, Continuous Delivery (CD), Continuous Integration (CI), REST
Unix, Kubernetes, Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Databases, SQL Performance, PostgreSQL, MySQL
Data Warehousing, Data Warehouse Design, APIs, Data Architecture, Data Engineering, Tableau Server, Networking, TCP/IP
Jenkins, Apache Airflow
Bachelor of Business Degree (Magna Cum Laude) in Computer Information Systems
Georgia State University - Atlanta, GA, United States