Data Engineer2019 - 2020Hover
Technologies: Databases, Data Warehouse Design, Data Warehousing, SQL Performance, Data Engineering, Docker, PostgreSQL, Apache Airflow, Bash, SQL, Python
- Migrated the codebase to a container-first, CI/CD system for hands-off automated testing and deployment using Docker, Python, Bash, and Codefresh.
- Built various CLI tools and libraries to manipulate segment.io plans, GitHub repositories, and Tableau resources. Written with Bash, SQL, and Python.
- Ran Airflow ETL hosted in Astronomer Cloud and coded the ETL in Python, SQL.
- Provided mentoring and training to team members on SQL performance tuning, collaborative coding, and docker container development.
- Advised the director and VP-level staff and helped drive cultural advance in the team's approach to collaborative development.
Test Automation Developer2018 - 2019Endgame
Technologies: Bash, SQL Performance, Continuous Integration (CI), Python, Groovy, Databases, SQL, TCP/IP, Networking
- Built concurrency into automated tests and CI systems. Mostly with Groovy and Python.
- Gave technical talks on TCP/IP networking, SQL, and database systems.
- Identified and fixed performance bottlenecks in Linux VMs.
- Coded features and bug fixes for a custom Python test integration system.
Software Engineer2016 - 2017PayPal
Technologies: Databases, SQL Performance, Kubernetes, REST, SQL, Bash, Go
- Coded cmd-line utilities, RESTful APIs, and client apps using Bash, Go, and SQL.
- Contributed enhancements to the Moby project. See Github.com/moby/moby/pull/27565.
- Wrote a software gateway in Go between Kubernetes and legacy network hardware.
- Advised directors and VPs on approaches to distributed database systems.
Data Engineering Manager2012 - 2015Lookout
Technologies: Databases, Data Warehouse Design, Data Warehousing, SQL Performance, SQL, Data Engineering, C, Bash, MySQL, Jenkins, ETL, Hadoop, Go, Python
- Provided guidance, feedback, and leadership to a data engineering team. Set the tone for technical direction with engineering and analytics teams.
- Built Lookout's Hadoop cluster running Hive, Impala, HBase, and Map/Reduce jobs.
- Used my DBA, coding, and Unix sysadmin skills to improve performance, preserve data integrity, and maintain system availability.
- Coded ETL and automation tools using Go, C, Bash, and Python.
- Managed MySQL databases used for analytics, warehousing, and reporting.
Software Engineer in Testing2010 - 2012Cloudmark
Technologies: Databases, SQL Performance, SQL, Bash, Perl, C, C++
- Tested various C/C++ and Perl daemons that comprise both Cloudmark's anti-spam accuracy infrastructure and its enterprise MTA product.
- Searched, examined, and evaluated code for defects.
- Wrote code using C, Perl, Bash, and SQL to defend against regression, demonstrate correctness, and highlight defects.
- Assisted with Oracle administration and MySQL debugging.