Manager, Data Engineering2019 - PRESENTThe Honest Company
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Dimensional Modeling, Data Warehousing, AWS, Domo, Tableau, SQL, Bash, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Relational Database Services (RDS), Talend, Apache Airflow, Python, Redshift
- Built data warehouse in Amazon Redshift.
- Integrated with new SaaS vendors including Salesforce Commerce Cloud.
- Implemented managed Airflow service Astronomer.
- Brought modern data SDLC practices to data engineering team.
- Transformed reporting environment.
Engineering Manager, Data Services2014 - 2019Nordstrom
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Data Warehousing, SQL, Bash, AWS, MySQL, Terraform, Ansible, Python, Pentaho Data Integration (Kettle), Google BigQuery, Redshift
- Scaled up the data warehouse while improving performance and availability.
- Implemented a data lake on AWS.
- Scripted all infrastructure provisioning and configuration using Terraform and Ansible.
- Redesigned and rewrote the ETL loading our Amazon Redshift Data Warehouse.
- Built team from zero to seven engineers.
Manager of Data Services2011 - 2014ideel
Technologies: SQL, Data Warehousing, Bash, NetSuite, Epicor, Talend, Microsoft SQL Server, MicroStrategy, Pentaho, MySQL
- Led the effort to design and build ideeli's enterprise data warehouse.
- Served as the team's architect and senior developer - designing, building, reviewing, deploying and supporting ETL jobs, SQL scripts, and reports.
- Led combined onshore/offshore team in the implementation of MicroStrategy for end-user reporting and analysis.
- Designed the company's ETL architecture from scratch, using Pentaho Data Integration (Kettle) and custom MySQL routines. Led development and production support.
- Designed a key data integration system between the ERP and Warehouse Management systems, using PDI and MySQL.
- Debugged reports in a wide range of technologies: MicroStrategy, Pentaho, MySQL, MS SQL Server, SSAS, MS Access, Excel, Epicor, NetSuite, Talend ETL, Hive, shell scripts.
Software Developer2009 - 2011Bridgewater Associates
Technologies: SQL, Data Warehousing, Stored Procedures, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SSRS, Microsoft SQL Server
- Designed and developed the data model, ETL process, and reports for the system used to monitor counterparty exposure. Ran status meetings with sponsors, and managed the project plan. (SSIS, T-SQL, SSRS, AgilePoint).
- Quickly got up to speed on previously unfamiliar business concepts – for instance, developed the database portion of a major new risk-control monitoring tool within a month of joining.
- Played a key role in a reorg to separate production support responsibilities from the development team: Designed the training and certification plan for new support associates; improved the procedures for incident handling and escalation; served as lead trainer.
Senior Consultant2005 - 2008Palladium Group
Technologies: SQL, Data Warehousing, Batch Scripting, Bash, Reports, Essbase, Hyperion, PL/SQL, Oracle Database, DB, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Informatica
- Designed and led the development of a budget-analysis application for a leading office-supply retailer. (MS SQL Server, Hyperion Essbase, Windows batch scripting).
- Led redesign of sales-reporting app for a leading yellow-pages publisher. (Informatica, Oracle).
- Designed and developed database components of a sales reporting and forecasting tool for a.
- major quick-service restaurant company. (PL/SQL, Bash, Hyperion Planning, Hyperion Reports).
Consultant2003 - 2005CGI
Technologies: SQL, Data Warehousing, Bash, PL/SQL, Oracle Database, Informatica
- Served as a data warehouse developer on a long-term engagement for a large telecom.
- Reviewed requirements and data models, wrote designs, wrote and tested code, and supported production.
- Served as tech lead for major redesign of an existing marketing data warehouse. (Informatica PowerCenter, Oracle PL/SQL, Bash).