Software Engineer2014 - PRESENT
- Detailed analysis of API load-times: time to first map tile, time to whole map rendered, and time to interactive at different percentiles. Conducted A/B tests for pre-rendered non-interactive, static maps, and maps with split tiles. Implemented, released, and tested performance improvements leading to ~30% load time improvements for the 75th percentile.
- Implemented the Google Maps API section of Google internal usage dashboard with interactive data exploration. Viewed weekly by top management.
- Coordinated the major API reference overhaul including rewrite of more than 100 samples.
- Fixed several out-of-memory crashing bugs on iOS under high-stress API usage in difficult to reproduce or analyze environments.
- Initiated and prototyped the new Maps API product embracing the existing open source mapping library, but not yet released.
Founder2012 - PRESENTEducation4Progress
Technologies: Sublime Text 2, Django, Python, Git, OS X, Ubuntu Linux
- Worked on a personal charity initiative to repurpose old laptops and tablets with education software for developing communities.
- Set up the Khan Academy’s offline education website on more than 40 donated laptops delivering hundreds of lessons and exercises to over 100 students in Masaka, Uganda, and Jamnagar, India.
- Installed an offline wikipedia as well as a Python interpreter and tutorials on recycled hardware to facilitate self-directed research and programming experiments.
- Campaigned continuously for hardware donations through personal and social media networks—resulting in more than 40 contributions of functional laptops, tablets, smart phones, and routers.
- Partnered with local charities, schools, and libraries to maximize reach and impact.
- Contributed the OS X installation guide and installation script improvement to an open source project for the Khan Academy Lite.
Software Engineer2011 - 2014Biarri
- Productized the software prototype—optimizing NBN's fiber cable routes and automating fiber planning.It was an AUD 40 million project; deployed at a large scale at NBN Co.
- Implemented an I/O in C++ with OGR (geospatial vector data abstraction library) according to NBN'’s standards: 5 input layers, 15 output layers in KML, MapInfo MID/MIF, and Oracle Spatial.
- Managed fortnightly releases and introduced continuous integration with Jenkins resulting in a reduction of patched releases from 83% to 5%.
- Implemented several graph algorithms and automation scripts in Python. The Telstra duct reservation script reduced a 3-day effort to 1 for approximately 30 fiber planners every 2 weeks.
- Created a multithreaded integration test framework in C++ with boost; the thread pool reduced the integration test execution time from 30 to 10 minutes.
- Provided on-site customer support at NBN Co for 1-2 days a week and held 2-day training workshops every 6 months.
- Implemented a web prototype using Google Fusion Tables and the Google Maps API, and demonstrated it at a director’s sales tour in the USA.
Director of Innovation2008 - 2009Space-Time Research
Technologies: CSS, Charts, YUI, Visualization, ArcGIS, Subversion (SVN), Hudson, FindBugs, HTML, Google Maps, Ext JS, Google Maps API, JUnit, WebDriver, iText, JFreeChart, GWT, Java 6, Google App Engine, Jetty, Apache Tomcat, Apache, Ant, Emacs, Eclipse
- Proactively developed web-based data visualization prototypes resulting in fully-fledged projects whose success led to the development of a new core product (SuperVIEW) within the company.
- Managed a 5-person development team implementing software product SuperVIEW (interactive data visualization); reported to the CEO.
- Prototyped numerous data visualizations leveraging tools such as GWT, YUI Charts, Google Maps, and Visualization APIs resulting in several long-term contracts. Evaluated requirements, prototyped, and partially implemented the Cancer Council of Victoria’s interactive cancer statistics.
- Architected the evolution from the one-off data visualization projects to an XML configuration driven data visualization product SuperVIEW (Java, GWT, XSD, JAXB, charting libraries, and APIs). Established processes for quality-focused software engineering—with code reviews, code style, unit and system testing, code-coverage, and continuous integration.
- Initiated, co-designed, and promoted RESTful cross tabulation data access API inspiring partners to develop traffic visualization and staff performance measurement tools.
- Presented to the board of directors, customers, and at OECD Seminar's “Innovative Approaches to Turn Statistics into Knowledge” resulting in various sales leads.
Professional Services Consultant2007 - 2008Space-Time Research
- Provided domestic and international on-site customer support.
- Did data modeling and data preprocessing for crosstabulation (star schema), training, and client/server software deployment.
- Implemented a full web-based solution for the Norwegian Seafood Export Council’s interactive trade data visualization leading to further projects with the customer.
- Prototyped an interactive, web-based data visualization for the Australian Institute of Criminology’s drug and crime statistics resulting in a large engagement with a customer.
Software Engineer2004 - 2006On Demand Microelectronics AG
Technologies: Debian Linux, SUSE, AutoTools, Bash, CVS, VHDL, Eclipse, Emacs, Java, C++, Solaris
- Designed and implemented cycle-true, register-true simulators for 3 VLIW processor architectures in C++ with STL, templates, function pointers, and shared libraries.
- Built a test environment for VHDL (hardware description language) processor models creating random tests. Matched the VHDL output with my own simulator resulting in high-quality releases.
- Targeted the performance improvements leading to minimized execution times for a compiled solution (simulator creates, compiles and executes C program) vs. minimized start-up times for interpreted solution (an on-the-fly instruction word interpretation).
- Developed an installable package with autotools according to open source standards.
- Created interfaces for dynamically loadable shared libraries to integrate external memory systems leading to a successful collaboration with a third party hardware design company.