Full-stack Developer | Web Designer | System Administrator2007 - PRESENTFreelance Work
- Worked both as an interdisciplinary member of larger in-house teams and in a solo/lead role in multiple fields including development, design, and system administration.
- Developed full-stack web applications for clients on a work-for-hire basis—specializing in multimedia, content management, and marketing for organizations and public personalities using numerous technology stacks and platforms including LAMP, MEAN, Node.js, Express.js, Koa, AngularJS, Cycle.js, Mocha, and MongoDB.
- Consulted on technology decisions in a holistic sense, taking into account the client's individual needs, business requirements, brand identity, and team competencies as well as cost-effectiveness and technical fitness considerations.
- Designed websites, interactive multimedia, print and digital marketing materials, and marketing campaigns with a focus on building a consistent brand across all media, using both industry standard commercial tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat) and open source technologies (GNU Image Manipulation Program, Inkscape).
- Administered to Linux servers in physical, dedicated, shared hosting and cloud environments using a variety of technologies and platforms, including CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Debian, Amazon Web Services, Apache, Nginx, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MongoDB.
- Worked remotely, on-location and in flexible workspaces depending on client needs and company culture.
Lead Developer | System Administrator2008 - 2017Mad Dancer Media
- Led a team of three-to-six designers, developers, and administrators in the development and maintenance of a proprietary web multimedia platform. Roles included direct involvement in front-end and back-end development, UI/UX design, eCommerce integration, system and database administration, direct communication, consulting, and presentation to clients, as well as delegation, coordination, and project management for other team members.
- Built custom modules and standalone web applications for clients in numerous industries, including publishing, recording, television & multimedia, medical, industry, finance, legal, and nonprofits.
- Conducted system administration for CentOS, Apache, HAProxy, PHP, MySQL, Memcached, MongoDB, CouchDB, and Node.js; this included system maintenance, security auditing, database optimization, backups and data integrity, and the development of an incident response plan (including employee training), load balancing, and PCI-DSS section D compliance.
- Administered co-located and leased servers pursuant to client and business partner needs.
- Used open-source content management and application frameworks including Joomla, WordPress, CakePHP, Node.js, and Express.js.
- Integrated with numerous third-party software systems including email marketing, advertising, accounting, customer relations management (CRM), payment processing, voice over IP, voice-to-text, social media, multimedia live streaming and transcoding, analytics, and compliance auditing.
- Performed duties in-house and remotely, as employee and as a contractor, over the course of employment.
Lead Designer2007 - 2008The Best Apple, LLC
- Designed websites for small business clients, artists, and entrepreneurs; used Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks, and Dreamweaver.
- Developed custom modules and plugins for Joomla and WordPress to accommodate client needs.
- Designed companion print materials including posters, flyers, brochures, and business cards for web design clients using Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Acrobat.
- Designed logos, letterheads, and other branding materials.