Karen Chioma Okonkwo
Verified Expert in Engineering
Karen is a software engineer with four years of professional experience. She loves building web software solutions that impact users. Karen is well-versed in creating easy-to-use, responsive, accessible, and user-friendly websites and web applications. She is also experienced in the development of back-end services and APIs. A developer with an excellent grasp of engineering concepts, data structures, algorithms, and system designs, Karen makes sure to provide the best possible quality.
Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Git, Linux, MacOS
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on is an app for a digital and inclusive bank that provides financial services to anyone who has a phone number.
- Built full-stack tools to ensure that the most valuable content was being written and promoted by Bloomberg's 3000+ editorial staff worldwide to 300,000+ Bloomberg Terminal subscribers at all times. Used Python, TypeScript, Kafka, and Comdb2.
- Created solutions to privileged large datasets curated by Bloomberg's data journalists using Python and React.
- Acted as the Scrum Leader for my team, orchestrating efficient sprint planning, daily stand-ups, and retrospectives, fostering a cohesive and agile team environment.
- Facilitated seamless communication among cross-functional teams, ensuring alignment with project goals and timely delivery of high-quality software solutions.
- Architected and developed fully functional, accessible, and responsive web applications using various tools and technologies for multiple clients.
- Provided services that spanned from front-end development to full-stack application development.
- Built a full-stack application for Anozie Stores to manage their orders and allow users to track their order status, significantly improving their customers' shopping experience.
- Implemented the website for a digital health company. The goal was to create an aesthetically pleasing user experience while providing comprehensive information about the product's offering.
- Developed a website for Geraldine’s Flourish Foods to boost its online presence, provide information about products and services, and offer a platform for customers to purchase their products.
- Created an MVP for a property technology startup, Rentgage. I built a mobile application for the product's client side and a back end to go with it.
- Made an MVP for a restaurant management system and a fully functional, accessible, and responsive UI for the product's web application using React. I integrated the web application with the back end using RESTful API endpoints.
- Handled the translation of various designs and wireframes into high-quality code for front-end systems.
- Built out the web application for the third version of the Eyowo (Eyowo X) using React and TypeScript. Eyowo is a fintech product that provides online personal and business banking and other financial services to 600,000+ users in Nigeria.
- Built out the non-graduates (N-creative) web portal for the NPower program, a job creation and skills empowerment scheme created by the Nigerian government for over one million applicants using React and TypeScript.
- Collaborated with other teams and disciplines, including back-end developers, product managers, designers, UI developers, and QA testers to deliver value with each product.
- Worked with designers to translate various designs and wireframes into high-quality code.
Software Engineer | Intern
GRIT Systems Engineering Ltd.
- Maintained the existing web dashboard for multi-source power and energy monitoring leveraging React, TypeScript, and Material UI.
- Built out the web interface to facilitate the trading of electricity, providing a way for clients to reduce the waste of excess energy produced.
- Developed Python microservices for User and Order management using Flask.
- Ensured the organization of the software team to improve workflow.
Eyowo Bank's Web App Version 3https://bank.eyowo.com/
Website for Geraldine's Flourish Foods
Order Management and Tracking for Anozie Stores
Nuvle's Minimum Viable Product (MVP)
A Minimum Viable Product for Rentgage
WhatsApp Web Clonehttps://whatsapp-clone-web.netlify.app/
Abeg App Clonehttps://abeg-app-clone.netlify.app/
Redux, Flask, Express.js, React Native
Node.js, React, REST APIs, API Development, Socket.IO
GitHub, Git, Auth0, Webpack 2, Babel
Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Unit Testing, Responsive Web Design (RWD), REST, Test-driven Development (TDD), Testing
Databases, JSON, MongoDB, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Database Management
Docker, Linux, MacOS, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering
University of Lagos - Lagos, Nigeria
SQL for Joining Data
Intermediate SQL Queries
Webpack 2: The Complete Developer's Guide
Full-stack Developer Nanodegree
React Front To Back
Front-end Developer Nanodegree
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring