Data Science and Machine Learning Consultant2013 - PRESENTSelf-employed
Technologies: Java, Python, Ruby, Perl, R
- Worked independently or with an established team, writing production code or mining offline data, I help companies crack their tough data-related problems.
- Defined and implemented a quality evaluation process for entity matching for Radius Intelligence. Designed, implemented, and launched an algorithm improvement to halve recall errors while keeping precision constant. Worked with the VP of Engineering and CTO to define and interview for a data science engineer position.
- Helped validate feasibility of a new line of business for Agari by building and evaluating a machine learning model. Bootstrapped a supervised classifier with unsupervised learning to overcome the absence of labeled data and data labeling resources.
- Defined and prototyped a provably fair advertising revenue attribution model for Sojern. Worked with the CTO to design an A/B testing framework.
- Improved a credit card fraud detection algorithm, saving Groupon over a million dollars annually by reducing false positives while keeping detection rates high.
Senior Engineering Manager2011 - 2012Groupon
Technologies: Java, Perl, Ruby, Ruby on Rails
- Worked with sales, city planning, engineering and data science to build a demand forecasting system.
- Built an email A/B testing framework and reduced outages due to setup errors from several a day to 0.
- Significantly increased revenue and user engagement by continuously delivering relevance and UI improvements.
VP of Engineering2010 - 2011VideoGenie
- Reported directly to the CEO as the first employee hired at a social video marketing startup.
- Hired and managed a team of back-end and front-end engineers.
- Helped grow the client list from two to over sixty and page views from a handful to several million a day.
- Worked with the Chief Architect to design and implement infrastructure, including fully customizable video recording, internationalization, analytics processing, video search, and smart playlist ranking.
Lead Software Development Engineer2006 - 2009Tellme/Microsoft
Technologies: Perl, C, C++
- Managed the Search team, which generated about 40% of company revenue.
- Led architecture as well as managed and mentored engineers.
- Worked with the Live Search and MSR teams to incorporate Tellme technology into Microsoft Search and voice products.
- Worked with speech and linguistics teams to dramatically increase automation of voice calls and relevance of text search queries.
- Led design, development, and refinement of business category search.
- Awarded a patent for a new spelling correction algorithm.
- Developed algorithmic performance improvements that quadrupled back-end capacity while keeping relevance constant.
Technical Lead2005 - 2006Yahoo!
Technologies: Perl, Python, C, C++
- Worked on contextual advertising, applying computational linguistics and machine learning techniques to the problem of finding relevant text ads to display on a webpage.
- Developed an innovative classification algorithm to detect pages on which it would be inappropriate to display ads.