Verified Expert in Engineering
Kevin is a software engineer with 25 years of experience focusing on mobile applications, cloud computing, operating system design, and server management. He's proud of his proven track record of building and leading engineering teams in full-stack mobile and web products in multiple industries. At work, Kevin is recognized for his ability to deliver winning cross-platform solutions in cutting-edge technology areas across geographically dispersed project teams.
Slack, C#, Unity, Azure, Google Cloud, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Android, iOS, Kotlin, Java
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed was a 3D character animation system for Disney, bringing to life hundreds of their characters in Android and iOS games.
VP of Software Engineering
- Acted as the engineering lead for over a dozen enterprise products hosting hundreds of companies and millions of users daily.
- Designed and led division-wide engineering initiatives, achieving cost level reductions of more than $1.5M per year in one product alone using serverless re-platforming and cloud optimization initiatives.
- Led and mentored worldwide engineering development teams working in mixed technical stacks spanning AWS, Google Cloud, and Azure with implementations in Java, C# .NET, Python, Node.js/TypeScript, and Swift/Objective C.
- Oversaw the core engineering design, setting and then achieving team milestones, building strategies for operations and efficiency, and for quality standards across the product portfolio.
Senior Director of Software Engineering
- Led engineering managers and architects across several digital product teams in our mobile and browser stack, including native iOS/Android development, front-end browser frameworks, cloud services, and databases.
- Created products and redesigned legacy software in diverse technologies, including Kotlin, Swift, React, Xamarin, Rails, Node.js, Java, .NET, and AWS/Azure services.
- Partnered with business executives and a cross-functional leadership team on product development, budgets, vendor selection, customer support, organizational structure, hiring, and employee development plans.
- Mentored engineers across the company in customer-centered development and software engineering best practices.
- Coached and developed engineering team leaders within one of the world's top business coaching companies.
Senior Software Engineer
- Worked with a talented, experienced team to establish mobile design patterns, development workflow, and code solutions for GoFormz native mobile apps for Android and iOS.
- Led the implementation of automated testing and "test-centric" development for our mobile engineering and QA teams. I also supported Azure micro-services development for our mobile REST endpoints, supporting authentication and single sign-on features.
- Provided mobile architecture leadership and cross-platform coding expertise for GoFormz products on Android, iOS, and Windows 10.
Senior Software Engineer
- Provided technical leadership for Disney Enchanted Tales, an iOS and Android city builder with extensive character animation. It reached the top 10 in the Apple iTunes family game category in September 2016.
- Designed and delivered numerous core systems in Unity3D. These included an optimized character animation controller and tasking system, a cross-platform in-app purchase engine, and a prioritized background loader that improved load times by 300%.
- Implemented server features in Google App Engine, including a customer service dashboard for guest experience personnel and a "snapshot" player data backup system.
Chief Technology Officer
- Led the design and development of mobile and console games, delivering more than a dozen titles to market in two years.
- Contributed to our product success in the US which included several accolades on Apple Store, Google Play, Amazon, and Kongregate.
- Earned spots in the Top 10 Monthly Games list on Kongregate for King of Battle (9/2015), the Top 20 Google Play Family Games for Police Car Race Chase Sim 911 (5/2015), and the Top 30 iTunes Education for Construction Build & Play! (12/2014).
- Contributed to full-stack and cross-platform development in mobile native for Android and iOS, Xbox, Windows 8/10/Phone, WebGL, and Unity Web Player with RESTful APIs.
- Provided Windows expertise for "big iron" large-scale x86 server initiative within HP Business Critical Servers (BCS).
- Led experienced technical teams at several West Coast locations in the enablement of platform error handling, power management, cloud computing, and scale-up features.
- Conducted a competitive analysis, implemented a requirements specification, and oversaw the design and technical implementation of Windows 64-bit server management portfolio from 2-socket servers to the massive HP 64-socket SX2000 “Superdome.”.
- Hosted planning meetings with Microsoft directors and engineers to establish OS features from market requirements and contributed to standards such as ACPI, UEFI, IPMI, and MS WHEA.
- Represented HP BCS at events, project collaboration, and field training activities with customers, third-party partners, HP teams, and customers across the United States, Europe, and South America.
- Contributed to several software deliveries, including the Itanium version of Insight Management WBEM Providers for Windows and an integration package for HP Systems Insight Manager and HP-SMH.
EveryDollar Browser and Mobile Appshttp://www.everydollar.com
I was the engineering director on this project, leading several teams of mobile, browser, and back-end REST API and database developers. I led the architecture and migration to smaller, simpler, shared mobile code on our clients and serverless APIs, scaling to millions of users per month on the back end.
I also led numerous technical and cultural engineering changes to increase delivery rate, decrease support issues, and dramatically increase app store ratings and revenue (with a 300% growth in 30 months).
I designed and delivered numerous core systems in Unity3D. These include an optimized character animation controller and tasking system, a cross-platform in-app purchase engine, and a prioritized background loader that improved load times by 300%.
I also contributed full-stack, implementing REST features in Google App Engine, including a customer service dashboard for guest experience personnel and a “snapshot” player data backup system.
I was the senior engineer on this project, leading Android and iOS architecture and code in Xamarin as well as REST API and database development in C# .NET. Specifically, my team and I implemented Material Design UX on Android, SSO/SAML "single sign-on" for enterprise on iOS and Android, centralized UX navigation with deep-linking on both platforms, threading and graphics improvements, and several other successful capability deliveries to market.
C#, C#.NET, C++, Kotlin, C, Swift, Java
Unity, Android SDK, Unity3D, .NET, iOS SDK, ASP.NET, Spring, Monogame, .NET Core
Application Architecture, Microservices, REST
Windows, Xamarin, Mobile, Android, Azure, iOS, Universal Windows Platform (UWP), Kernel, HP-UX, Windows Server, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Xbox, Docker, AWS Lambda, Azure Functions, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Firebase
IT Systems Architecture, Programming, 3D Graphics Engines, Games, 3D Games, Character Animation, 3D Character Animation, Mobile Apps, IAP SDK, In-app Purchases, Character Rigging, Mobile Games, Game Programming, Architecture, Engineering Design, Back-end, Front-end, Integration, Cloud, Enterprise Architecture, App Store, App Store Acceptance Process, Windows 10, Operating Systems, Enterprise Systems, Team Leadership, Analytics, Cloud Computing, Leadership, Data, Cloud Architecture, Program Management, Persistence, Time Management, Game AI, Game Design, Objective-C++, Device Drivers, Windows Kernel Drivers, BIOS, Firmware, Clustering, Game Development, 2D Games, Urban Airship, Software Design, CI/CD Pipelines, Google Cloud Functions
XNA, WebGL, Node.js, React, Ruby on Rails API, REST APIs
Hyper-V, Slack, Apache Maven, Windows Driver Kit (WDK), GitHub, AWS Step Functions, Amazon Athena
Google Cloud, Storage Area Networks (SAN), JSON
Certification in Computer Game Programming
University of Washington - Seattle, WA, United States
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering
Texas A&M University - College Station, Texas, United States
Computer Game Programming
University of Washington