- Software Team Lead2014 - PRESENTA List Apart
- Led a team of two junior developers in cleaning up a crufty old codebase.
- Reviewed PRs on Github and marshalled them into safe, iterative releases.
- Independent Software Architect2012 - 2014Thebolditalic.com by Gannett Company, Inc.
- Upgraded the CMS from Rails 2 to Rails 3 and migrated it to Heroku.
- Scaled the site as traffic grew 40x over 3 years via caching, optimization, and additional technology such as CDNs and responsive image services.
- Re-skinned the site several times, moving in the final iteration to responsive "mobile-first" tech with a Foundation CSS framework.
- Led a team of three contractors.
- Trained an internal team as the site continued to grow.
- Software Developer2012 - 2013Creativebug
- Created a system to synchronize the user database with Mailchimp.
- "Kevin jumped in to help roll out new features and speed up our development pace. He worked very closely with our lead engineer and is highly regarded by him as well. He hit all of his deadlines and was great with communicating through weekly updates. I would recommend him to anyone looking for a solid and steady contractor as he is capable of jumping in and hitting the ground running." --Founder.
- Senior Software Developer2010 - 2012Concrete Interactive, LLC
- Hired as the first employee at this local SF consultancy.
- Played a leading role in twelve projects, many of which are detailed in the Experience section.
- Worked with the founder to build the company, helping to interview, hire, and train five new employees, and played a large role in creating the company's culture.
- Utilized a large and diverse set of technologies.
- Collaborated seamlessly with external teams or quickly and efficiently on my own as necessary.
- "I have witnessed Kevin's approach to software craftsmanship for the past three years, and it is admirable. He applies solid fundamentals towards solving problems, he boldly pursues new technologies, and he follows through with the care, persistence and tenacity required to make software products work in the real world, at quality and at scale. Anyone who meets Kevin soon after recognizes he is a kind person, who genuinely wants to do good for those he works with. I wholeheartedly recommend Kevin as a software engineer." --Employer.
- Product Manager & Software Developer2009 - 2011Spongecell
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, ActionScript 3.0
- Hired employees and created a quality assurance organization from scratch as QA team lead.
- Promoted to Product Manager after 6 months.
- Promoted to Software Developer and wrote the initial version of a flagship interactive advertising product in ActionScript 3.0.
- Technical Writer2005 - 2007Ariba
Technologies: HTML, CSS, Adobe Pagemaker
- Served as technical lead for a transition from PDF/print documentation to an online documentation website.
- Trained ten writers in HTML/CSS as they converted their documentation from Framemaker to HTML.
- Wrote a 248 page guidebook for the Ariba QuickSource product within a four-month span.
- "Kevin frequently volunteered to take on additional projects. Most notably, he was instrumental in our transition to a web-based solution. This required Kevin to step well outside of his role as writer and employ supplementary skills, such as web development and quality assurance testing. With a great deal of persistence, innovation, and patience, Kevin worked with staff in the US and India to enable us to publish content on the [email protected] website." --Manager.