DevOps Engineer and AWS Developer
Khaled is a senior DevOps engineer with solid experience in software development and IT operations. He is a highly skilled professional certified in AWS DevOps engineering and solutions architecture, Red Hat Linux, Oracle, Sun Solaris, and Microsoft. Proficient in multiple market-leading toolsets, such as AWS, HashiCorp products, Docker, Ansible, Jenkins, Octopus, Prometheus, Cortex, and Grafana, Khaled roots his work on a strong will to automate all possible tasks.
ExperienceWindows - 20 yearsLinux - 20 yearsJenkins - 5 yearsDocker - 3 yearsAmazon Web Services (AWS) - 3 yearsHashistack - 3 yearsTerraform - 3 yearsAnsible - 3 years
The most amazing...
...migration I’ve run involved relocating around 2,000 instances from on-premises to AWS using Ansible, Terraform, and code scripts.
- Wrote multiple technical articles about Security as Code.
- Authored multiple technical articles about Terraform's best practices.
- Wrote multiple technical articles about how to enforce the principle of least privileged (all CSPs).
Engaging Works Group Limited
- Provided a solution for monitoring and alerting applications running under Docker.
- Automated tasks that were causing issues, e.g., disk space cleanup, etc.
- Worked with developers to establish a process to onboard new applications.
Lead Platform and DevOps Engineer
- Migrated around 2,000 hosts from the local data center to AWS with associated load balancer, routing, security group, storage, tagging, and cost management using Terraform, Ansible, Jenkins, and Octopus Deploy.
- Used Jira for tracking, sprint planning, and reporting.
- Optimized the infrastructure in AWS and reduced costs by 15-20%, using recommendations from AWS Compute Optimizer and moving to a cheaper architecture—Inter to AMD.
Senior DevOps and Operations Engineer
- Onboarded new projects into Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF), MuleSoft API manager, Jenkins, and GitHub.
- Set up monitoring dashboards in AppDynamics and Splunk and built dashboards for platform monitoring, inventory, and issues tracking.
- Managed the automated CI/CD process in an agile environment using different tools like Jenkins, Nexus, and custom scripts.
Senior Automation and Environment Engineer
- Managed the credit risk division's impact analysis platforms. It included environment management, automation of impact runs using Perl and shell and batch scripts, managing source code in Apache Subversion, and managing releases, builds, and testing.
- Spearheaded the infrastructure by decommissioning the old servers and commission of new ones. That improved the use of poorly utilized servers and reduced infrastructure costs by 30%.
- Monitored and supported Monte Carlo grid on Platform Symphony running Markit Analytics modules. Used ITRS Geneos, Splunk, and custom shell scripts.
Senior Release and Environment Engineer
The Royal Bank of Scotland
- Assisted agile development teams in bringing their deployment packages into the automated release management framework based on BMC BladeLogic Automation Suite.
- Managed system integration testing (SIT), user acceptance testing (UAT), and production (PROD) environments for the Loan IQ application—Windows, Oracle, Cognos DataNet, and Informatica PowerCenter—and handled deployments and releases.
- Spearheaded the Query Management Tool (QMT) SIT, UAT, and PROD environments—Linux, TIBCO iProcess, Oracle, Apache, and Apache Tomcat.
Senior Environment Engineer
- Maintained the current infrastructure, handling availability, patching, and upgrades.
- Commissioned a new set of Wintel servers for the new platform.
- Set up a continuous integration environment for the newly developed project.
Senior Environment and Release Engineer
- Planned the entire release cycle for major and minor releases and prepared release notes for support teams to promote releases to the production environment.
- Improved the release process by automating nightly builds and packaging using CruiseControl and shell scripts; migrating Solaris and Wintel scheduled jobs to AutoSys; setting standard procedures for grid environment deployments.
- Managed environments and coordinated infrastructure changes, such as hardware and middleware upgrades, patches, new setups, and capacity planning, with various dedicated groups.
Environment and Support Engineer
- Managed and supported all infrastructure changes affecting investment banking (IBD) systems in Europe and provided level two and three support to all IBD applications during EU support hours.
- Coordinated the support and testing during infrastructure changes. Wrote several scripts in shell and Perl to automate tasks and reports provided by Integrated Bank Technology (IBT), such as the LDAP and monitoring permissions reports.
- Managed the implementation and deployment of the wireless connectivity solution on banking laptops and deployed many applications for BlackBerry devices.
EDA Migration to AWS
CMB Digital Transformation
My responsibilities in the projects included:
1. Onboarded new projects into the CMB Digital Platform (Pivotal Cloud Foundry PCF, Mulesoft API Manager, GitHub, Jenkins)
2. Managed automated CI/CD process in an agile environment using different tools like Jenkins, Nexus, and custom scripts.
3. Set up monitoring dashboards in AppDynamics and Splunk
4. Built dashboards to monitor the platform, inventory, and issues tracking (custom-built dashboard using scripts).
5. Acted as lead engineer and provided training and guidance to new joiners in the UK, India, and China
In this project, I created many dashboards in AppDynamics to simplify the monitoring of the platform and also created a custom dashboard to manage cost per application using shell scripts and HTML.
Credit Risk Impact Analysis
My responsibilities included:
• Setup and manage ten isolated parallel environments used to run the impact analysis processes.
• Manage and support Symphony grid environments used by the runs to ensure the right versions are consistently set up per environment
• Improve utilization of all environments which resulted in an overall cost reduction of 30%
Jenkins Pipeline, Node.js
Hashistack, Grafana, GitHub, Vault, Terraform, Ansible, Jira, HashiCorp, TeamCity, Git, Jenkins, ClearCase, Docker Compose, Kibana, AppDynamics, Subversion (SVN), AWS IAM, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), Amazon Elastic Container Registry (Amazon ECR), Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), AWS CloudFormation, Amazon CloudWatch, Docker Swarm, Splunk, Control-M, Informatica ETL, ELK (Elastic Stack), Amazon EKS, Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), NGINX
DevOps, Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD)
Linux, Windows, Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Unix, Amazon EC2, VMware Tanzu Application Service (TAS) (Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF)), MuleSoft, Solaris, Oracle, Kubernetes, AWS Lambda, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Azure
Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Sybase, Datadog, Docker Cloud, MySQL, MongoDB
Prometheus, Computer Science, Nomad, Consul, AWS DevOps, CI/CD Pipelines, Amazon Route 53, Infrastructure as Code (IaC), Cloud Computing, IT Deployments, Technical Hiring, Source Code Review, Task Analysis, AWS Cloud Architecture, AWS Certified Solution Architect, Cloud, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), Octopus Deploy, LDAP, CORS, Networking, Kubernetes Operations (Kops), AWS CodePipeline, Architecture, DNS, Interviewing, Cloudflare, AWS Transit Gateway, SOC 2, Amazon RDS, Technical Writer
Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering
Alexandria University - Alexandria, Egypt
AWS Certified Solution Architect Professional
Amazon Web Services
AWS Certified DevOps Engineer Professional