Kiran Kumar Kolla
Verified Expert in Engineering
Database Engineer and Developer
Kiran is a database engineer with over ten years of expertise implementing data lakes, data integrations, and data warehousing solutions. In addition to data engineering work with Cognizant and wireless with NBN Co, Kiran has enterprise experience in financial services from MetLife, ING Group, to Bank of America. He is highly motivated when challenges are thrown at him, as they bring out his best! Kiran loves to program and use logical thinking to solve complex problems efficiently.
Azure SQL, Databricks, Azure Data Factory, Python 3, Data Warehousing, Apache Airflow, Tableau Desktop Pro, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Spark, Microsoft Power Apps
The most amazing...
...thing I've implemented was an operation data lake to ingest real-time data from Open Data Hub APIs related to different transport modes.
Senior Data Engineer
- Developed Azure durable entity functions to ingest data from Open Data Hub APIs in case of changes in the response header. The action saved 8GB of storage space every day and reduced costs significantly.
- Built an app in Microsoft Power Apps to fetch the resource usage costs and cost optimization recommendations from Azure subscription. The app helped users monitor resources and reduce costs.
- Created a self-service API and Microsoft power app for business users to securely download historical GTFS data on-demand from a data lake without manual intervention. The action saved 40 hours of manual effort every month.
- Built data pipelines using Azure Databricks (Pyspark) to process the ingested data into the Delta lake and the Synapse data warehouse.
- Created streaming data pipelines using Databricks to ingest data from Event Hub and Cosmos DB.
- Developed automated ETL data pipelines using Spark on AWS EMR and Lambda to process the data, such as orders and services, from Comptel 7 and Maximo into an AWS S3 data lake.
- Created event-based Lambda functions using Python to trigger the Glue crawlers and metadata tagging.
- Developed data pipelines to transform order data from the UDS KPI model into business-friendly views that can easily be used for data analysis and reporting.
- Created Alteryx workflows to extract data from multiple source systems and prepare the data for regulatory submission.
- Prepared the data for regulatory reporting (including APRA, ASIC, and LCCC) and generated reconciliation dashboards.
- Designed and developed Tableau functional dashboards based on business requirements.
- Implemented Common Reporting Standard (CRS) workflows to generate customer and account extracts.
- Developed an ETL framework using Informatica workflow, Windows PowerShell, and SQL to automate the batch scheduling process for the data warehouse.
- Created the data model for the personal loans and credit card products to load the transactional data.
Bank of America
- Implemented an Informatica ETL COE operations reporting solution to help managers generate reports on platform usage, the number of sessions executed, and the volume of data processed.
- Automated the process of monthly metrics reports for application support and platform maintenance teams, using Excel VBA and Microsoft SQL Server, which saved a lot of manual effort.
- Completed the process of upgrading all the Informatica ETL COE platforms to v10.2 by automating the process with Jenkins and shell scripting.
- Developed automatic data reconciliation workflows to compare the data with control files received from the source system.
- Created Autosys workflows to set up job dependencies and schedules.
- Created stored procedures using Oracle PL/SQL to perform the data validation.
Operational Data Lake for Transport
Monitoring Application for Azure Cloud
Python 3, SQL, Python, T-SQL (Transact-SQL), C#
Windows PowerShell, Spark, Azure Bot Framework
Pandas, PySpark, Azure Cognitive Services, Beautiful Soup
Azure Logic Apps, Informatica ETL, Tableau Desktop Pro, Tableau, Microsoft Power Apps, Autosys, Azure Automation, Apache Airflow, Azure Machine Learning, Amazon Elastic MapReduce (EMR), Microsoft Power BI
ETL, Dimensional Modeling, Azure DevOps, DevOps, Business Intelligence (BI)
Databricks, Azure, Oracle, Azure Synapse, Microsoft Power Automate, Azure Functions, Alteryx, Azure IaaS, Azure PaaS, AWS Lambda, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Azure SQL, Data Pipelines, Data Lakes, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), Redshift, Amazon S3 (AWS S3)
Azure Data Factory, Data Warehousing, Azure Data Lake Analytics, Software Development, Data Warehouse Design, Shell Scripting, Data Engineering, Data Architecture, Data Cleansing, Web Scraping, Dashboards, Dashboard Design, Data Modeling, Microsoft Data Transformation Services (now SSIS), Data Analysis, Data Visualization, Cloud Security, Cloud Services, Data Analytics, Regulatory Reporting, Internet of Things (IoT), Excel 365
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Jawaharlal Technological Universilty - Hyderabad, India
Azure AI Fundamentals
Azure Data Engineer Associate
Tableau Desktop Certified Associate
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring