- Lead Back-End & Payments Developer2016 - 2017AutoLotto Inc.
- Hired on a 4-month contract to develop a stand-alone payment system using micro-services.
- Integrated 3 payment partners and multiple risk and KYC vendors.
- Jumped into a problematic legacy Node.js code base and refactored, stabilized, and improved the code.
- Delivered improvements to the infrastructure including implementing production logging and monitoring.
- Mentored the team remotely via pairing, retrospectives, and “lunch & learn” workshops.
- Directed the long-term planning for PCI DSS compliance efforts.
- Consultant2016 - 2016Eight Thirty Consulting
Technologies: Ruby, React, Lambda, Kinesis, AWS, Android
- Performed a software process and technology audit on a Java-based financial system.
- Developed a prototype web application with React and Ruby on Rails.
- Migrated a web microservice from Heroku to AWS using AWS Kinesis Streams and AWS Lambda.
- Acted as the CTO and adviser for startup fundraising including financial structure and development of pitch-decks.
- Chief Technology Officer2013 - 2016Vogogo Inc.
- Developed a competitive REST API for payment processing and risk analysis—including credit cards, banking, KYC, IDV, and more.
- Designed, implemented, and maintained a cloud-based infrastructure on AWS including 5 services, 3 environments, and 100+ servers.
- Achieved PCI DSS Level 1 compliance certification and was the primary person responsible for PCI, compliance, and security.
- Developed a web-based portal for support staff and merchants who managed operations and accounts.
- Hired and managed a team of 10 local software engineers.
- Engaged and managed remote teams in India and Costa Rica for offshoring some development tasks.
- Integrated technology from a major acquisition and created net value to the company.
- Integrated over 20 services, APIs, and data sets from vendors, banks, payment partners, and governments.
- Lead Developer2013 - 2013Canadian Pacific Railway
Technologies: Java, Dropwizard, Oracle, Ansible, AWS
- Automated deployment of a major web application, taking the process from 5+ hours to 5 minutes.
- Implemented an Agile software process helping the team move from 6 releases a year to releases every 2 weeks.
- Migrated a full-stack application from data-center hardware onto the cloud.
- Redesigned a legacy Java application migrating existing code from JBoss and Spring onto Dropwizard.
- Led a team of 10 engineers; responsible for development process, best practices and delivery timelines.
- Entrepreneur2012 - 2013Protopattern Consulting
- Developed the official Stripe Android SDK.
- Developed the official Colligo Networks "Briefcase" Android Application.
- Developed (now-offline) Overlay 101 web application providing "WalkMe" like features.
- Consulted on DevOps and Agile process at companies like BarclayCard and Conquer Mobile.
- Mobile Applications Lead2011 - 2012Poynt
Technologies: Android, iOS, Java
- Developed software process to support development of one app across 5 mobile platforms.
- Developed the complete Android version of the Poynt mobile app (previously on iOS and Blackberry).
- Implemented a new QA and Product Management process within the organization.
- Started automated testing within the mobile application development team.
- Managed 5 engineers directly.
- Lead Developer2011 - 2011AT&T Mobile
Technologies: Ruby, Rails, Solr, Android, AWS
- Developed a massively scalable back-end to support millions of phones downloading millions of apps.
- Created a solution for search and indexing large amounts of plain-text data.
- Designed and implemented elastic infrastructure on AWS public cloud.
- Developed a hybrid Android/web application that could be delivered on all AT&T phones sold in 2012.
- Worked remotely with a customer team in Seattle, WA and team members in Calgary, Toronto, Atlanta, and India.
- Lead Integration Architect2010 - 2011Shaw Communications
Technologies: REST, APIs, Java
- Responsible for the integration of 12+ teams and services communicating in a REST-driven SOA.
- Developed policies and proposals reviewed and adopted by the architectural committee (Directors) of the organization.
- Responsible for troubleshooting integration issues and hands-on development of solutions across 12 teams.
- Supervised a small SWAT team of Java developers able to jump into problem areas and address integration changes.
- Worked closely with an integration test team to develop automated solutions to test REST integrations.
- Lead Consultant2010 - 2011ThoughtWorks
- Ran project kick-offs to gather requirements and build and communicate the Agile delivery process.
- Provided technical and architectural contributions to the sales process including presentations and written RFPs.
- Lead teams of 10+ developers in a hands on way, providing mentorship, process, architectural oversight and review.
- Recognized as a global expert in AWS and Android within the organization and called onto projects for advice in those areas.
- Served effectively in pure-consulting roles where I would be on site building trusted partnerships with customer executives and stakeholders to deliver advice.
- Chief Technology Officer2008 - 2010Curve Dental
- Hired and managed a team of 10+ engineers throughout the early growth of a startup company.
- Installed an Agile software development process and negotiated compromise between development and executive development ideals.
- Designed, deployed, and maintained HIPAA compliant infrastructure on Amazon AWS.
- Senior Software Developer2007 - 2008VoodooVox | Call Genie
Technologies: Java, VoiceXML, MySQL
- Developed leading voice-recognition platforms for telecom companies.
- Worked on the team that created #TAXI a globally successful product that connects phones to taxi services in their area.
- Created server-side solutions using Java; team lead on several large engagements with big companies including Verizon.
- Interviewed and hired senior software developers.
- Advocated and participated in the adoption of an Agile software process (SCRUM).
- Software Developer2005 - 2007Solium Capital
- Developed a software-as-a-service platform for managing stock options and equity incentives.
- Scaled the product from it's first customer beyond the break-even point.
- Developed strategies for architecture and code re-use across a large team.
- Supervised interns and junior developers on the team.