Full-stack App Consultant2021 - 2022Palomar Works
- Managed and launched two projects in the cannabis space—PalomarDataSystems and TheSoilLabs—to help the client launch a new data-driven startup incubator in the cannabis space.
- Inherited and cleaned up a large Next.js codebase, modernizing many outdated dependencies; moved the application from outdated Google App Engine to Google Kubernetes Engine (saving 90%) and added comments and tests across the application.
- Launched and prototyped a new project for Soil Testing to accept web store checkout orders and help the back office manage many USPS shipments (inbound and outbound) of soil sample test kits; developed a client-facing interface to view analytics and results.
Architect | Senior Developer | Front end and Back end2020 - 2021Meals Delivery Charity Owned by a Top 3 Beverage Company
- Met with the client and established requirements to design and plan a multi-channel meals delivery system, including a web store and public checkout, internal warehouse inventory tracking, delivery truck fleet scheduling, and route planning.
- Started codebases for the front end and back end and personally delivered early prototypes v0.1–v0.5 while screening and onboarding a team.
- Established clean coding practices, managed hiring and training of junior and senior developers, oversaw daily standups and all feature planning meetings, and worked closely with clients to gather requirements.
- Released a feature-complete 1.0 production launch in the first six months of the project (estimated at 9–12 months), currently servicing dozens of charities and food banks, and delivering tens of thousands of meals in the first few months.
CTO2017 - 2020ShipChain
- Co-founded and designed a proposal to build a new decentralized open paradigm for the shipping and logistics industry; we raised $30 million based on the whitepaper I authored.
- Attracted, screened, and hired a tight-knit, loyal team of 12 talented developers in a local office, creating a fun, engaging work environment that people loved to be in and delivered over eight individual high-quality projects in a two-year period.
- Designed and oversaw the implementation of a full-scale blockchain-backed asset tracking system and IoT implementation (with both Raspberry Pi clients and a dedicated Android app).
- Attended, spoke at, and hosted blockchain conferences around the world, meeting with industry leaders and researchers to stay atop cutting-edge developments in the blockchain space.
- Drafted specifications for ShipChain Vaults, which is an open standard for cryptographically-signed append-only logs, or "blockchain in a file system," and for the OpenSCALE standards (an open framework for describing shipping primitives).
- Coordinated an open-source community and dealt with P/R related to implementing and launching a dedicated "side-chain" (based on Loom Network technology).
- Oversaw all crypto-economic planning and design; worked closely with a large number of lawyers and economists to try to ensure we created viable economic models.
CTO2017 - 2017CapDax Crypto Exchange
- Independently prototyped the first version of CapDax Exchange (front-end and back-end projects) for trading cryptocurrency assets.
- Hired a team of four (remote staff and freelancers at Toptal) to support the development and take over maintenance.
- Worked closely with key stakeholders and potential "whales" to establish counteractive mechanisms to common trading fraud techniques.
- Oversaw corporate IT operations, including private hosting of internal subnet with VPN, email, encrypted chat, and GitLab.
Contract2016 - 2016Flagship Marketing
- Designed and implemented automatic server provisioning and health management utility.
- Developed a system for orchestrating the creation of thousands of Docker containers across hundreds of VMs in ten data centers worldwide.
- Collected and ingested over 100,000 data points per minute to analyze system health and identify problems.
- Engineered self-testing Docker containers that autonomously monitor and heal themselves.
- Built a real-time RESTful API for all statistics and management features.
Partner | Founder2010 - 2016Bound Corp
- Founded and managed a private software consulting firm since 2008, working on projects in dozens of industries and helping countless clients to meet their software goals.
- Partnered with outside investment to grow and manage several startup projects and lead teams locally and remotely, taking responsibility for every part of the SaaS startup lifecycle.
- Delivered high-quality code in over 100 different repositories, with an emphasis on testing and readability, including front-end and back-end services, DevOps lifecycle, and application insights.
- Planned product UI and UX in Figma and LucidChart to meet client needs and satisfy user stories.
Lead Developer | Architect2015 - 2015Traffic Haus
- Designed a new ad server handling a real load of one billion impressions per day (peaking at 20,000 impressions/second).
- Reduced server costs by over 80% (from more than $30,000/month) by switching to a sharded Redis infrastructure and improving response times from SQL-backed architecture.
- Performed team building and leadership of a mismanaged development team, increasing developers' output by over 2.5x.
- Increased transparency and communication between development and upper management.
- Developed a new automated movie download bot that scrapes over 100GB of video content per day.
CTO | Technical Founder2014 - 2015Rebar Secure CRM
- Created a load-balancing billing gateway for recurring payments.
- Optimized merchant account utilization based on cohorts and projected rebill rates.
- Scaled a team of up to five developers and two support staff members.
- Developed a secure PCI-compliant credit card warehouse for storing sensitive data.
- Designed, prototyped, and implemented both the front-end and back-end services.
CTO2011 - 2012BeVo Media Affiliate Tracking Platform
- Managed and motivated engineering team in developing ad tracking solutions.
- Designed and implemented a Facebook Ads uploader before the official API supported it.
- Automated testing of creative variations and tracking of stats across platforms.
- Developed a user attribution model and advanced analytic segmentation.
Lead Engineer2009 - 2011Ads4Dough Affiliate Network
- Developed auto-scaling landing-page redundancy solutions for high-volume media buys.
- Assisted partners with tracking pixels and software integrations.
- Developed frameworks for optimizing conversion rates across ad campaigns.
Software Developer Engineer (Intern)2008 - 2009Microsoft
Technologies: Microsoft SQL Server, ASP.NET, C#, SQL, HTML
- Designed, developed, and implemented an offline-mode Windows product key authorization service for developing nations.