Architect | Senior Developer | Front end and Back end2020 - PRESENTMeals Delivery Charity Owned by a Top 3 Beverage Company
Technologies: Python 3, Django, React, Redux, Material-UI
- Started codebases for the front end and back end and personally delivered early prototypes v0.1-v0.5, while screening and onboarding a team.
- Established clean coding practices, managed hiring and training of junior and senior developers, oversaw daily standups and all feature planning meetings, and worked closely with clients to gather requirements.
- Released a feature-complete 1.0 production launch in the first six months on the project (estimated at 9-12 months), currently servicing dozens of charities and food banks, and delivering tens of thousands of meals in the first few months.
ROOT Developer2016 - PRESENTNetProphet Technology
Technologies: Nextcloud, GitLab, Slack
- Curated a small syndicate of developers and freelancers, for discussions related to both development and freelancer work culture.
- Worked for an organization that offered internal services to all members, including free email, GitLab, NextCloud, and discounted Kubernetes cluster resources.
CTO2017 - 2020ShipChain
Technologies: Internet of Things (IoT), Django, Solidity, Ethereum, Blockchain
- Co-founded and designed a proposal to build a new decentralized open paradigm for the shipping and logistics industry; we raised $30 million based on the whitepaper I authored.
- Attracted, screened, and hired a tight-knit, loyal team of 12 talented developers in a local office, creating a fun, engaging work environment that people loved to be in and delivered over eight individual high-quality projects in a two-year period.
- Designed and oversaw the implementation of a full-scale blockchain-backed asset tracking system and IoT implementation (with both Raspberry Pi clients and a dedicated Android app).
- Attended, spoke at, and hosted blockchain conferences around the world, meeting with industry leaders and researchers to stay atop cutting-edge developments in the blockchain space.
- Drafted specifications for ShipChain Vaults, which is an open standard for cryptographically-signed append-only logs, or "blockchain in a file system," and for the OpenSCALE standards (an open framework for describing shipping primitives).
- Coordinated an open-source community and dealt with P/R related to implementing and launching a dedicated "side-chain" (based on Loom Network technology).
- Oversaw all crypto-economic planning and design; worked closely with a large number of lawyers and economists to try to ensure we created viable economic models.
CTO2017 - 2017CapDax Crypto Exchange
Technologies: PostgreSQL, React, Django, Python
- Solely prototyped the first version of CapDax Exchange for trading cryptocurrency assets.
- Hired a team of four (remote staff and freelancers at Toptal) to support the development and take over future upgrades.
- Worked closely with key stakeholders and potential "whales" to establish counteractive mechanisms to common trading fraud techniques.
- Oversaw corporate IT operations, including private hosting of internal subnet with VPN, email, encrypted chat, and GitLab.
Contract2016 - 2016Flagship Marketing
Technologies: Docker, DigitalOcean, AWS EC2, React, Django, Python
- Designed and implemented automatic server provisioning and health management utility.
- Developed a system for orchestrating the creation of thousands of Docker containers across hundreds of VMs in ten data centers worldwide.
- Collected and ingested over 100,000 data points per minute to analyze system health and identify problems.
- Engineered self-testing docker containers that autonomously monitor and heal themselves.
- Built a real-time RESTful API for all statistics and management features.
CTO2010 - 2016Leeward Bound Corp
Technologies: Elasticsearch, HBase, Redis, PHP, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby, Django, Python
- Worked on dozens of projects in the digital advertising space over the past eight years.
- Designed and implemented high-volume, high-availability analytics engines.
- Built tools of all shapes and sizes for acquisition, attribution, and analytics to help optimize marketing efforts for large and small teams.
- Implemented API integrations with Facebook, AdWords, and more.
Lead Developer | Architect2015 - 2015Traffic Haus
Technologies: MySQL, Redis, PHP
- Designed a new ad server handling a real load of one billion impressions per day (peaking at 20,000 impressions/second).
- Reduced server costs by over 80% (from more than $30k/month) by switching to a sharded Redis infrastructure and improving response times from SQL-backed architecture.
- Performed team building and leadership of a mismanaged development team, increasing developer's output by over 2.5x.
- Increased transparency and communication between development and upper management.
- Developed a new automated movie download bot that scrapes over 100GB of video content per day.
CTO | Technical Founder2014 - 2015Rebar Secure CRM
Technologies: Django, Python
- Created a load-balancing billing gateway for recurring payments.
- Optimized merchant account utilization based on cohorts and projected rebill rates.
- Scaled a team of up to five developers and two support staff members.
- Developed a secure PCI-compliant credit card warehouse for storing sensitive data.
- Designed, prototyped, and implemented both the front-end and back-end services.
CTO2011 - 2012BeVo Media Affiliate Tracking Platform
Technologies: MySQL, PHP
- Managed and motivated engineering team in developing ad tracking solutions.
- Designed and implemented a Facebook Ads uploader before the official API supported it.
- Automated testing of creative variations and tracking of stats across platforms.
- Developed a user attribution model and advanced analytic segmentation.
Lead Engineer2009 - 2011Ads4Dough Affiliate Network
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS EC2, AWS, Python, PHP
- Developed auto-scaling landing-page redundancy solutions for high-volume media buys.
- Assisted partners with tracking pixels and software integrations.
- Developed frameworks for optimizing conversion rates across ad campaigns.
Software Developer Engineer (Intern)2008 - 2009Microsoft
Technologies: Microsoft SQL Server, ASP.NET, C#
- Designed, developed, and implemented an offline-mode Windows product key authorization service for developing nations.