Consultant2015 - 2018Solidbase Consulting, Ltd.
- Recruited a remote-working team of highly capable engineers, working on several enterprise projects.
- Oversaw an automated build and deployment which was adopted by the entire engineering department, and based on Octopus Deploy.
- Developed a Cloud-based sales agent commission payment system, replacing an old, ineffective batch-style system.
- Designed and developed a web-based product management administration interface, for managing complex energy marketing products. Integrated single sign-on using Azure AD (OIDC).
- Mentored senior developers.
- Acted as the go-to for tough technical challenges, and lent my expertise with the design and architecture of their internal systems.
Team Lead2012 - 2014Just Energy Corp.
- Led a team of in-house developers on a mission to transform the company’s web, and digital presence.
- Created high-value solutions with both internal and external teams, and worked on a multitude of large, varied projects.
- Developed a high-throughput custom email gateway system, accessible via standard SMTP, offering templating, indexing, and a searchable archive for over ten million messages.
- Created a new generation online enrolment portal system supporting multiple markets and jurisdictions.
- Designed a flexible product management system to support the online enrolment portal.
Architect2009 - 2012Speedscan NZ, Ltd.
- Provided technical leadership to the development team, and problem-solving to the business.
- Transformed development processes to align more with Agile methodologies. Educated the business on the benefits of the new approach.
- Set the vision, and designed the next generation configurable workflow system to drive the primary document scanning and hosting business.
- Completed a revamp of the line-of-business document scanning and processing workflow system, solving the security and performance bottlenecks of the old system.
- Acted as advisor to senior management on the future technical roadmap for the business. Researched new emerging technologies, and made recommendations.
- Developed a flexible rule engine using dynamic .NET expressions, supplied via system configuration for each client solution.
Software Engineer2006 - 2009Symantec
Technologies: .NET, Win32, C++
- Worked on various features for the Ghost Solution Suite product.
- Oversaw the User Profile Migration product through several releases, redesigning, and enhancing the internal structure according to best practices of encapsulation, and modular design.
- Injected .NET 2.0 WinForms customized DataGridView control into C++, Win32 API, and wxWidgets applications.
- Managed the work of a remote offshore team of contractors in India.
- Juggled virtualized environments to test the product on a variety of OS versions.
Developer2005 - 2006Practiv (NZ), Ltd.
- Developed enterprise-level web applications for UK-based financial industry clients.
- Delivered a brand new C# layer over an existing Java forms processing engine. Oversaw the project planning, architecture, and development of the actual solution.
- Developed an enterprise-level web application for a UK-based insurance provider, allowing online access to pensions.
- Provided technical expertise for the design of the middle-tier, and heavily involved in the technical architecture of the web front end.
- Led a small team to implement a new web-based front end.
Developer2002 - 2005Orion Health, Ltd.
Technologies: Java, Microsoft Foundation Class Library (MFC), Win32, C++
- Developed a Rhapsody Integration Engine product, used by domestic and overseas health industry clients.
- Developed graphically intensive user interface applications such as a drag-and-drop workflow designer, using C++, MFC, ATL, C#, and WinForms.
- Developed a high-performance C++ message parsing engine using Boost, and STL.
- Designed, and implemented a Java-based workflow server back-end with an MSSQL, Oracle database persistence.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in various design and implementation stages. Involved in the architectural design process.
Software Developer2001 - 2002Self-employed
- Designed and developed custom software in C++ for controlling and automating Internet Café management. The solution was successfully deployed, and used in the production environment.
- Developed a custom website for an online flower and gifts business.
Developer2000 - 2002University of Auckland
Technologies: DCOM, Microsoft Foundation Class Library (MFC), C++
- Designed and developed a custom client-server application for remote execution and automation of legacy image processing software with a Unix-C-based server, and Java-based visualization client.
- Designed and developed a C++ and MFC GUI front end for visualizing image processing algorithms during their execution.