Verified Expert in Engineering
Data Engineer and AWS Developer
Lewin is a senior data engineer with management experience specializing in AWS, Python, and R and a good mix of technical and soft skills. He has built, trained, and managed teams from the ground up, reconfigured an RStudio Server installation, and developed a model for agricultural greenhouse gas emissions for use by the New Zealand government for IPCCC disclosures. Lewin is competent in writing documentation to ensure project viability and maintains open source software projects.
Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Python, R, Data Build Tool (dbt), Snowflake, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Linux, Hadoop
The most amazing...
...machine learning project I've built was a lead targeting model that improved conversion by 25% over manual targeting.
Data Tech Specialist
- Created ETL pipelines for ingesting Parquet and JSON data from Azure Blob Storage into Snowflake.
- Built internal GUI and CLI tools to streamline a data engineering workflow.
- Documented and provided training on internal tools.
Senior Data Engineer
New Zealand Post
- Acted as a tech lead for Python and AWS Lambda development.
- Built CI/CD pipelines using Terraform and GitHub Actions.
- Trained and mentored junior team members, reviewing code and advising on approach.
Ministry of Justice
- Reconfigured and administered an RStudio Server installation for the ministry.
- Provided training and mentoring to junior analysts on R and RStudio.
- Produced reports and dashboards for government use.
Ministry for Primary Industries
- Developed a model for agricultural greenhouse gas emissions for use by the New Zealand government for IPCCC disclosures and to inform public policy.
- Wrote extensive documentation to ensure project viability after the end of my contract.
- Provided training to permanent team members on how to use and change the model.
- Designed custom data structures to efficiently store intra-process data.
- Delivered the project on time and to the agreed specification.
Junior Machine Learning and Data Engineer
- Developed machine learning models for resource forecasting, customer segmentation, and propensity modeling.
- Wrote ELT pipelines to ingest data from legacy systems to a Hadoop cluster.
- Trained and mentored junior team members in R and Python.
- Built reports and dashboards in Shiny and SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services).
Operations MI and Reporting Manager
- Built the operations data team from the ground up. Recruited, trained, and managed the team.
- Worked with management from the C-suite level down to determine the reporting needs for the operations department. Developed a suite of reports to meet requirements as far as was technically feasible.
- Developed new reports to make operational processes and risk management easier and more efficient.
- Performed ad hoc analysis work on request and supervised junior team members to do the same.
- Managed team members, including carrying out performance reviews, training, setting personal development plans, and providing career advice and support.
This is an R port of github.com/gruns/icecream.
• An R runtime (thanks to github.com/mdneuzerling/r-on-lambda).
• Tools to build, test and deploy Docker containers containing your code.
The process is simple. You write your code as usual, decorate your Lambda function with a roxygen-style `@lambda` tag, and `lambdar` does the rest. It’s designed to drop on top of your existing work with almost no changes to your code.
R, SQL, Python, Snowflake
Business Intelligence (BI), ETL, DevOps, Azure DevOps
DB, Microsoft SQL Server, Databases, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Data Lakes, Data Pipelines, MySQL, Apache Hive, Azure Blobs
Data Engineering, Data Analysis, Data Analytics, Data Visualization, Data, Data Build Tool (dbt), Machine Learning, Team Management, Stakeholder Engagement, Serverless
RStudio Shiny, Hadoop, Spark
Terraform, Git, GitHub, Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, Sqoop
Linux, RStudio, AWS Lambda, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Apache Kafka, Databricks, Azure