Verified Expert in Engineering
Software Architecture Developer
Luis is a senior software engineer with over ten years of experience developing SaaS web applications using several cloud technologies (AWS stack, microservices, and serverless). He is passionate about software design, architecture, and applying the industry's best practices, delivering quality products that exceed client expectations and are easy to grow and maintain. Luis also enjoys game development and has worked on several personal projects in his spare time.
Slack, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), PyCharm, IntelliJ
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed is a centralized platform that offers an easy way of issuing local and international payments through third parties like TransferWise.
Co-Founder | Developer
- Developed and tested game mechanics using Unity and C#.
- Helped with game design of the current game in development, as well as the game and company roadmap.
- Tracked and fixed bugs ahead of several game events.
Senior Back-end Developer
- Developed the back-end of a browser extension dedicated to provide nutritional feedback for items found in user searches of three major retailers—Amazon, Walmart, and Target.
- Researched and summarized different ways to gather nutritional data considering various nutritional databases and the difference between data provided by retailers.
- Responded quickly to product requirement changes, based on continuous customer feedback, as well as unexpected technical challenges.
Senior Software Engineer
- Led the development of a platform that allows customers from different business units to issue local/international payments to their end-users through a set of shared components (APIs, UI widgets, and async events) that integrate with TransferWise.
- Took part in defining general API structure/standards and Python development practices to have a uniform way of consuming and developing our AWS Lambda functions across different teams and projects.
- Collaborated with the engineering and product departments of multiple business units to define API/message contracts that would satisfy most of the different use cases, with the goal of parallelizing work between clients and producers.
Senior Back-end Developer
- Laid the groundwork to use dependency injection in different contexts of our legacy applications, and provided guidelines to apply its best practices in our more modern Spring Boot applications.
- Introduced the concept and some implementations of the Strangler Pattern to allow the team to gradually migrate a legacy architecture to a more modern one over time, piece by piece.
- Actively coached other developers on different areas such as tools, design, and architecture.
- Introduced and applied concepts of hexagonal and onion architecture to better separate infrastructure and domain code, opening the door to easier maintenance in either layer and reuse of domain logic under different scenarios.
- Reduced daily ERP account sync time from eight hours to less than one hour for one of our biggest customers by introducing differential syncs with low-impact changes in legacy code.
- Improved execution of several daily long-running monolithic tasks by parallelizing processing across different workers, improving processing time and memory consumption per machine.
- Introduced Kotlin as a JVM alternative language for some of our newer back-end services.
- Worked closely with the principal engineer and led DevOps to refine architectural decisions and create the needed infrastructure/tools that allow other engineers to apply them.
- Proposed changes in our code review and merge strategy processes to make pull requests smaller, more frequent, more focused, and easier to review.
- Maintained and developed functionality in the context of agile.
Java Software Developer
Solutions Medias 360
- Developed functionality and bug fixes for different microservices used by multiple web and mobile applications using Spring technologies, Hibernate, Redis, and JAX-RS/CXF.
- Developed functionality and bug fixes for a front-end application using AngularJS, with a Node.js back-end serving as the API bridge between the web application and the different microservices' APIs.
- Integrated some of our pre-existing business logic with an external partner application using an event-driven architecture based on AWS SNS and SQS.
Java Software Developer
- Worked as a full-stack developer on the development of an enterprise time and expenses management web application.
- Maintained the existing code base by fixing reported issues and providing a detailed description, cause, and steps to reproduce for them to make them easier to understand, test, and deploy by the QA team.
- Led the development of two refactoring projects by doing extensive analysis, providing clear documentation, and distributing the tasks accordingly within smaller subsets of the web/server team (developers and testers) to meet the planned deadlines.
- Developed Keertan Network, a Sikh multimedia search engine that allowed users to search, upload, play, and categorize several types of audio media files.
- Wrote algorithms that analyzed data from audio and/or parsed CSV files to automatically fill basic track information and create associations with existing database records.
- Created a parser for evaluating custom SQL-like expressions used to define the descriptions of displayed tracks.
- Worked as a full-stack developer and designer for an enterprise web application aimed at the car dealership industry.
- Designed and implemented user interfaces using Sencha GXT and GWT, with their corresponding back-end processes using Java EE.
- Used the Hibernate ORM framework and query language to communicate with the application's data layer while maintaining compatibility with PostgreSQL and Oracle databases.
- Created an in-house tool to dynamically design, generate and export .xls reports based on data found on the application’s database (tables, views, and stored procedures) and the user’s input.
- Improved account login security by implementing 2-step verification and a schedule-based system to allow login hours or days depending on the user’s account privileges.
Mana Force (Video Game)https://dominiklussier.itch.io/manaforce
For this project, we had to put an event-driven architecture in place to handle the game logic and the interactions between many individual game entities, which allowed us to compose very complex entities while keeping the inter-component dependencies very low. This, in turn, improved maintainability and allowed us to add new game features at a great pace.
Beat Beat Shooter (Video Game)https://www.behance.net/gallery/36203855/Beat-Beat-Shooter
For this project, I took on two roles: programmer and artist. The programming side hard interesting challenges, to name a few:
• Implementing a palette system and shader where we could reuse the same visual assets but apply different color palettes to them, depending on how well the player was doing.
• Read music audio files and analyze the BPM (Beats Per Minute) of the song to make several gameplay elements sync with the beat of the music.
I was one of the two developers involved in the application's back and front end during its initial development up until launch.
Analyze upcoming actions and plan your own. Use the unique Skill Boost and Party Inspire mechanics to get the upper hand in battle.
Start your journey as the three warriors chosen by the ancient archetypes and get rid of the corrupted threats unleashed in your world.
Spring, Spring Boot, Chalice, Unity3D, Unity, Unity2D, Hibernate, AngularJS, Google Web Toolkit, LibGDX, Laravel, .NET
REST APIs, SQLAlchemy, React, Node.js, Socket.IO, jQuery
Git, Bitbucket, AWS Simple Notification Service (SNS), Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), GitHub, Gradle, Jira, Apache Maven, RabbitMQ, Jenkins, Bamboo, Terraform, AWS CloudFormation
Test-driven Development (TDD), Object-oriented Programming (OOP), API Architecture, Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD)
APIs, Game Development, 2D Games, Team Leadership, Legacy Code, Modernization, Domain-driven Design (DDD), Single-page Applications (SPA), Gameplay Development, Game Design, Game Design Documentation, Software Architecture, Software Design
AWS Lambda, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Amazon EC2
NoSQL, PostgreSQL, Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), MongoDB, MySQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, Amazon Aurora
Attestation D'études Collégiales (AEC) Certificate in Independent Video Game Design
Dawson College - Montreal, Canada
Bachelor's Degree in Software Engineering
Universidad Rafael Belloso Chacin - Maracaibo, Venezuela
Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 6 Programmer