Verified Expert in Engineering
Luis is a full-stack developer with a career that spans over two decades. He's worked in a number of roles as a developer, sysadmin, manager, business analyst, and entrepreneur. These experiences make him capable of keeping a business mindset while in complete control of the technology stack. By combining vast experience in several fields with solid engineering skills, Luis is an excellent choice for greenfield projects.
Emacs, Linux, Django, Python 3, React
The most amazing...
...value I can offer is to optimize Django so that technology scales horizontally, data is delivered with low latency and developers focus on business.
Senior Software Engineer
Control Devices Inc
- Started with a non-functional prototype and led the process of validating key concepts to rebuild the application.
- Implemented a new application using Django, Django REST Framework, Channels, and React stack. Created a new layer to integrate Django and React, which is on track for release under the MIT License.
- Added real-time monitoring for pigging operations using MQTT protocol, with low latency delivery from IoT devices to a browser.
- Implemented a data strategy and authored key algorithms, singular to this industry.
Product Research Lead
Makers Against Covid
- Successfully took an ICU-grade mold-injected face shield from initial concept to distribution in just ten weeks.
- Identified the face shield hype among makers, identified the operation bottlenecks, acquired wholesale supplies, created the brand, and became a hub by sourcing supplies for the network.
- Injected personal cash to ignite the organization, set up crowdfunding, and managed cash flow to keep the organization running. Recovered the initial credit injection with profits, which were donated at the end.
- Worked with the director of COVID-19 ICU in Hospital das Clinicas of Sao Paulo to create technical standards for ICU face shields.
- Coordinated and distributed research among makers and hospitals to quickly test several prototypes in parallel and develop a functional product.
- Coordinated efforts with the local mold injection industry to build a mold; meanwhile, the product was still being prototyped and tested in 3D. Researched shield materials for large-scale viability.
- Cooperated with two other industries, producing mold-injected face shields to improve the technical aspects of their designs.
Senior Python Developer
- Took a complex asynchronous system—that interfaced with several custom software led by different teams and which was implemented according to specs and untested—and deployed it to production.
- Deployed a Python Tornado application to synchronize a custom CMS, video rendering cluster, and player systems, showcasing 10,000 videos on Barclay's facade at Times Square.
- Supported the continuous evolution of the system until it reached maturity.
- Established a partnership with a local development agency to create new channels to distribute eduK's entrepreneurship online courses.
- Created online tools to measure entrepreneurs' revenue.
- Energized the four essential roles of Holacracy—Secretary, Facilitator, Rep Link, and Lead Link.
Python Software Engineer
Spatial Datalyst (via Toptal)
- Created from scratch a Django and Angular application for visualizing geospatial data.
- Implemented a data processing pipeline to acquire and process data from FCC, USGS, and Open Street Maps.
- Created a UI for the user to understand the wireless communications over an area and plan new installations based on terrain.
- Designed an architecture for providing a 3D model of buildings based on OSM and Lidar point cloud data.
- Prototyped 3D GIS interfaces with Cesium and Potree.
- Maintained a distributed scalable architecture on AWS with Celery, Ansible, and Terraform.
- Collaborated on the development of Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware software.
- Created a development workflow to accept merge requests from GitLab without disrupting the SVN workflow.
- Managed the release of Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware version 18.
- Trained and supported the growth of a Brazilian team of developers.
- Assessed, hired, and supported the growth of a team of four developers in Congo.
MOD Devices LLC
- Built an asynchronous web server embedded in an audio processor (using Python and Tornado) to synchronize the browser with the audio host and the hardware controllers.
- Implemented a pure HTML5 interface for the user to combine audio plugins to create pedalboards inside the audio processor.
- Created a communication mechanism between the offline audio processor and the cloud, using the browser as a router. This allows plugin installation and software updates, as well as sharing and loading audio setups to and from the cloud.
- Developed an LV2 (an open standard for audio plug-ins) extension to create HTML-based interfaces for LV2 audio plugins.
- Created an authentication system to identify and authorize devices to download and publish content from and to the cloud.
Founder | Software Developer | Sales | Business Analyst
- Analyzed customer businesses to design solutions that are adequate to scale and budget.
- Participated in around 100 projects, from sales to delivery.
- Fostered customer relationships, notably with the Ministry of Culture and Prefecture of São Paulo City Hall.
- Built a content distribution system and a video player in Python to manage videos over a network of around 1,000 televisions controlled by Linux boxes in five different big companies.
- Created OOSheet (an open software library) to develop LibreOffice macros in Python—improving the financial management of the company.
- Administered web servers to host customer content.
- Developed internal tools for collaboration and the management of team work.
Co-founder | Business Manager | Educator
Politeia Democratic School
- Started this elementary school business with a group of educators.
- Contributed to creating a unique learning methodology based on projects and participation in school decisions by students.
- Taught software programming for children and teenagers from 6 to 14 years old.
- Oriented around 20 student research projects on diverse themes.
- Built a custom 3D printer using an open source project.
- Mediated teacher, management, and community meetings.
- Created a video player that continuously displays videos in a TV from a Linux box and synchronizes with a central server using restricted and usually unstable network connections.
- Created a central system to process videos and distribute playlists based on editorial rules and collected data from players using Django.
- Developed a real time maintenance system for video players on unreliable connections using XMPP and SSH tunnels.
Developer | IT Consultant
- Created a computer vision system to detect if a volleyball has hit the ground in or out the playing field. The system is triggered by an RFID system which tracks the ball and detects the instant the ball hits the ground and tells the approximate location of the ball.
- Worked on consulting jobs.
IPSO — Institute of Social and Technological Research and Projects
- Customized Tiki CMS/groupware to build portals to support online communities.
- Created a system to collect, aggregate social indicators from several sources and make territorial reports.
- Configured and maintained a webserver and mail server to host around 30 domains and emails from 200 users.
- Assisted managers in technological-related matters.
Software Development Manager
- Built a portal to support the communication of around 200 institutions that had been chosen by Ministry of Culture to build a cultural network in Brazil.
- Developed a portal for these institutions to exchange pieces of music, videos, pictures and documents, licensed under Creative Commons; and to collaborate in sharing tutorials on audio and video creation with free software tools.
- Created a portal for project managers and collaborators to manage the whole project.
- Trained culture agents to use the tools built the software team.
School of Future | University of São Paulo
- Customized a Linux distribution for educational purposes.
- Built a site for online mini courses.
- Redesigned the content index for better performance on a portal search system.
- Implemented load-balancing among content servers in Perl.
- Worked on the design of the next version of the content management system.
Senior Systems Analyst
- Coordinated a team of four developers responsible for the portal’s online publishing system.
- Created Perl modules to serve dynamic content.
- Restored lost source code from a server crash by analyzing memory dumps to extract and parse compiled code.
Internet Group do Brasil
- Built a system for Valentine's Day cards.
- Created a dynamic ad banner that dynamically loaded content, like AJAX, but before XMLHttpRequest existed. Probably the first use of this technology in a big portal in Brazil.
- Developed a DHTML popup simulating a round window which doubled the click rate of popup ads. The first use of this technology in a big portal in Brazil.
- Worked closely with the market team to optimize the portal design for better results on reports.
- Developed commercial sites for company customers.
- Administered the Linux web server.
School of Future | University of São Paulo
- Developed a system for managing an online contest.
- Administered a Linux web server.
MOD Duo User Interfacehttp://www.moddevices.com
The code is released under GPL at https://github.com/moddevices/
GlobalTrack – Cloud-connected Pipeline Pig Tracking Systemhttps://globaltrack.info
Behind the scenes, the system leans on the robust capabilities of Django and React. Django is instrumental for modeling and implementing business rules, while React is pivotal for delivering a seamless user interface. Over a span of two years, evolving technology has enabled the formulation of a novel architectural layer built on the Django REST Framework and Channels. This innovation is currently on track for release under the MIT License.
It's yet on a roadmap of a release, but the code is already in use by the team.
Django, Angular, AngularJS, Ionic, Express.js, Django Channels, Django REST Framework, Next.js, Ruby on Rails (RoR)
jQuery, React, Node.js, OpenLayers, SlickGrid, Google Maps API, REST APIs, WebRTC, Web Audio, OpenCV, Mod_perl, Asyncio, Facebook API, Stripe
GIS, Emacs, Celery, MQTT, Git, Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware, SubGit, GitLab, Ansible, Terraform
Asynchronous Programming, Data Science, Test-driven Development (TDD), Microservices, REST, Agile Software Development, MEAN Stack, Unit Testing
Linux, Mapbox, Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS IoT, AWS IoT Core, WordPress, MapServer, Drupal, Azure, AWS Lambda
MySQL, Databases, MongoDB, PostGIS, PostgreSQL, Redis
Mapping, Tornado, APIs, Architecture, Web Scraping, GeoJSON, Geospatial Data, WebSockets, Webhooks, Full-stack, Data Scraping, Back-end, Enterprise Architecture, Cloud Architecture, Audio Streaming, RESTful Microservices, Internet of Things (IoT), Big Data, Data Analysis, Amazon RDS, CI/CD Pipelines, LV2, Videos, Digital Signage, Chrome Extensions, Holacracy, Computer Vision, Hardware, 3D Printing, Manufacturing, Entrepreneurship, Teamwork, Sociology, Education, Algorithms, Optimization, Mathematics, Applied Mathematics
Completed Credits towards a Bachelor's Degree in Pedagogy
University of São Paulo - São Paulo, Brazil
Completed Credits towards a Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics
University of São Paulo - São Paulo, Brazil