Luiz Antonio Mitidiero de Moraes Jr.
Verified Expert in Engineering
Luiz is a strategic and execution-oriented engineering executive with 15+ years of building scalable customer-facing products across multiple industries. He specializes in creating and improving engineering culture in remote working environments and is passionate about impacting people's lives. Luiz's core competencies are strategic vision and goal setting, iterative shipping from MVP to a global scale, and system design and architecture with excellent communication skills using the big picture.
Trello, Git, Eclipse, IntelliJ, Windows, Linux, MacOS, JetBrains, Jira, Tableau
The most amazing...
...thing I've built is financial software which gives a full representation of Brazilian tax laws and manages tax payments for big companies.
Engineering Manager | Head of Engineering
- Managed a team of ten people, including developers, DevOps, data scientists, and designers, reporting directly to the CEO.
- Controlled the recovery and the side effects that happened during my onboarding, as the company was a victim of a ransomware attack.
- Created new security policies and standards and architectured improvements to prevent data leaks.
- Implemented new upstream and downstream processes resulting in a team more engaged with quick turnarounds. Naturally, the team velocity increased by 500% after four sprints.
- Led the creation of an intelligent voice platform based on NLP from scratch, going from system design and architecture to code reviews and development.
- Led a team of 15 people to create a mobile shopping app where users can find nearby stores to buy and receive its products in up to two hours. The concept is similar to Uber Eats, but instead of food offers regular products.
- Acted as the CTO wearing many hats, working on stuff ranging from infrastructure, and technical planning, to talking to customers, building the product roadmap, and others.
- Recruited a new engineering team and fostered a healthy culture based on solid communication and transparency.
- Oversaw the company's data, security, maintenance, and implementation of the company's technical strategy and roadmap.
- Acted as a liaison between our users, sellers, and the company. I constantly talked to our sellers and users, analyzed the market, and started partnerships and new integrations.
- Led the system design, performed code reviews, and helped to define the company's standards and best practices.
Head of Engineering (Interim)
- Served as the head of engineering and led the technology and product teams at Higo, a B2B platform that helps small and medium businesses to pay and manage their invoices with a real-time view of their cash flow and working capital.
- Identified the technical debts and technology gaps and built a strategic roadmap to solve them while working on product development.
- Helped build the new HR department, serve the internal employees, and bring extraordinary talents to the company.
- Structured a new and fair screening process to hire and onboard new developers.
- Created a new compensation package structure for tech talents and the strategy to implement it with the current engineering team members.
- Installed a culture of proactive communication, which improved the visibility and transparency of the technical and product teams.
- Implemented Scrum across the product and technical teams, which achieved three times more output and outcome.
- Improved the logging and monitoring systems to provide visibility of the issues as soon as they happened.
- Started initiatives to make a more inclusive environment with psychological safety and created a strategy to have more diversity in our technical team.
Director of Engineering
- Served as a director of engineering at Toptal and took responsibility for impacting our clients by defining projects, finding the best talents according to the project needs, working as a point of contact, and managing development teams.
- Worked as the director of engineering with the most significant portfolio and was directly responsible for gross revenue of $20 million in 2020.
- Took responsibility for managing more than 200 successful projects simultaneously.
- Took charge of onboarding new team members and helping them to thrive.
- Took responsibility for supporting our internal product team and having internal initiatives to increase our team's performance.
- Participated in code reviews and actively collaborated to increase our project's quality.
Front-end Lead Developer
ChatLabs (via Toptal)
- Led the development of an admin panel to manage an English web school integrated with Facebook Messenger Bot Platform.
SaferSit (via Toptal)
- Built a web system to easily allow parents to find sitters and manage their bookings.
- Fully integrated with Stripe, including using credit cards for parents and bank accounts for sitters.
- Built a responsive UI, working on main mobile devices, tablets, and desktop devices.
- Built a chat system for real-time conversation between parents and sitters using Angular 4 and Firebase.
Silver Arrow (via Toptal)
- Built a self-service terminal in Angular to be placed at United Kingdom airports to research other countries and get advice or travel insurance before flying.
- Developed a complex auto-complete feature ready for touchscreen to find countries by name or keyword.
- Fully integrated with the Travel Aware United Kingdom Campaign to find and get countries' information.
- Integrated with Kioware and a receipt printer to print all country information requested by a user.
Front-end Lead Developer
Simon Says (via Toptal)
- Defined standards and helped manage the team.
- Built the whole website structure as well as designed APIs and AngularJS architecture.
- Designed a new revamp using flat design.
- Integrated with Google Analytics, defining events, goals, etc.
- Helped with product management, defining user goals, tests, and workflows.
Decor N' Up
- Built a platform for interior and home designers, architects, and all people who love or work with homes to find inspiration, jobs, etc.
Autolotto (via Toptal)
- Worked with React to build an amazing app to enable people to play the Powerball lottery.
Angular 2 Developer
Hello Computer (via Toptal)
- Helped develop a tool to animate and display reasons to visit South Africa.
Front-end Developer (AngularJS)
Mirelz, Inc. (via Toptal)
- Developed a web app which allows users to design their jewelry style with a designer.
Front-end Developer (AngularJS)
Sweet (via Toptal)
- Developed a dashboard to manage social network integrated contests.
- Built a system that represents the 2016 elections, including candidates, proposals, and priorities on all levels from federal to state and local elections, including statewide measures and local propositions.
- Integrated candidate pages with mainstream social media like Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Created a reusable commenting system for everything related to elections: politicians, propositions, measures, questions, etc.
- Developed a social network to discuss politics, including features like following people/candidates/subjects, writing articles, and viewing timelines with the main articles according to your preferences and the people you follow.
- Set up user behavior tracking and analytics platform to improve the product based on the data we collected.
HTML/JS/CSS Expert with Knowledge of Ruby Frameworks
PriceBlink (via Toptal)
- Built Chrome and Firefox extensions for Priceblink and InvisibleHand.
- Conducted QA testing.
AngularJS Web App Developer
Stein Labs (via Toptal)
- Created a school management software.
- Created a powerful report tool.
- Developed a new system architecture for this software.
- Built a log-in system with flexible roles.
- Created recurrent payment management.
Principal Web Engineer
- Developed a new workflow to sell tickets online that sells 20% more than the old workflow.
- Fine-tuned a web application which has improved the financial income by 6%.
- Conducted A/B tests.
- Transformed the new workflow for selling tickets in a white-label product that can be sold to other companies. It promises to give $25 million in one year.
- Wrote API specifications.
- Contributed to the development of software for server orchestration for a company, TOTVS.
- Integrated Amazon Web Services and Saltstack.
- Assisted with data modeling, API and action layers, development, and test automation.
- Developed a portal where customers can input information about their web systems' cloud structure and are given all price information using providers like Amazon.
Team Lead Engineer
- Managed the project and the team, assigning tasks, analyzing requirements, and hiring third-party resources.
- Created a new web system interface for virtual shopkeepers that has a 15% higher retention rate.
- Implemented Agile culture inside the company.
- Developed a crawler that reads web pages and searches for tags to identify virtual shops and its products.
- Gained Scrum master experience.
- Contributed to the development of financial software responsible for giving a full representation of Brazilian Tax Laws and manages tax payments for big companies. In Brazil, all companies have to deal with taxes in two steps each year. First, they have to pay a "main obligations" tax, and second, all companies must have proof that their obligations are payed, called "auxiliary obligations." I was the front-end team leader responsible for creating the software that manages all Brazilian tax obligations in company calendars.
- Led a team to learn, teach, and start implementations with MongoDB in the company.
- Created reusable front-end form components with Handlebars and jQuery.
- Gave a short hands-on course about PhoneGap and hybrid mobile app technology for 25 people.
- Built software which communicates with agricultural machines using XBee, receives and manages data, and gives comprehensible reports for sugar cane plant managers.
- Developed, as part of a team, primitive map software similar to Google Maps using Java and Adobe Flex to manage sections of sugar cane plantations.
- Created the international company website.
- Developed the system at the sugar cane mill headquarters.
- Created a simple framework to deal with messages coming from the serial port (which XBee uses).
• Back-end: Java, Spring-Boot, Apache Cassandra, NGinx, Amazon S3, EC2, and CloudSearch
I worked in mobile-web version made in React.
Grails, Angular, Jakarta Server Pages (JSP), AngularJS, Bootstrap, Redux, Selenium, Spring, PhoneGap, Spock, GEB, JUnit, Hibernate, Adobe Flex, Spring MVC, GrapesJS, Factory Girl, Spring Boot, .NET, Angular Material, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Swing, JSF, React Native, NestJS
jQuery, React, JSTL, Handlebars, JDBC, REST APIs, Facebook Messenger API, Material 2, Node.js, Sidekiq
Git, Adobe Photoshop, IntelliJ IDEA, Servlet, Eclipse IDE, Apache Tomcat, Jira, IntelliJ, Trello, CVS, Shoulda Matchers, Ansible, Apache Maven, Jetty, RSpec, Five9, Ngrok, JetBrains, Tableau
REST, Scrum, Design Patterns, Data-driven Development, Object-oriented Design (OOD), Domain-driven Development, Test-driven Development (TDD), Agile Software Development, Behavior-driven Development (BDD), Agile, Agile Project Management
Windows, Linux, Eclipse, Amazon EC2, Firebase, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Oracle, Ubuntu, Android, Algolia, iOS, Twilio, Amazon Web Services (AWS), MacOS
Ajax, eCommerce, CTO, Software Architecture, IT Strategy, Leadership, Technical Leadership, Pixel Perfect, Angular Bootstrap, Product Management, User Experience (UX), User Interface (UI), Amazon CloudSearch, Domain-driven Design (DDD), Libraries, HTML5 Animations, Bots, APIs, Chrome Extensions, Data Analysis, IIS, Algorithms, Architecture, System Design, Communication, Machine Learning
MySQL, Spring Data, Sphinx Search Engine, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), JSON, NoSQL, Cassandra, MongoDB, PostgreSQL
Master's Degree in Persuasive Design
UNICAMP (Incomplete) - Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering (Information Systems)
Centro Universitário Toledo - Araçatuba, São Paulo, Brazil
Technical Degree in Informatics
Salesiano - Araçatuba/SP, Brazil