Engineering Manager2021 - PRESENTIntelligentHack
Technologies: ASP.NET Core, Redis, Azure, SQL Server 2015, Scrum Master, Engineering Management
- Managed two globe-spanning engineering teams (from Brazil to Sri Lanka) developing greenfield projects, overseeing the successful go-live of one of the projects, and helping support the other in production.
- Coached both teams in Scrum, getting them to complete sprints with regular, incremental releases.
- Helped address serious technical debt on one of the projects, and turned the team around so they started to deliver good quality code.
- Identified and promoted team leads for each team, training and supporting them. This allowed me to step back from the day-to-day running of the teams.
- Promoted to the exec team, allowing me to help with more strategic issues such as sales and marketing.
Lead Developer and Consultant2020 - 2020Westbury Music Consultants
Technologies: Neo4j, .NET Core
- Scoped out the prototype for a system to import artist discographies and store them in a Neo4j graph database for Westbury, a music company that represents some of the biggest names in the music industry.
- Built an MVP for a system to identify unclaimed artist income.
- Contributed to the MVP still in use; the client told me it has significantly streamlined his workflow.
Team Lead2020 - 2020Rezolve
- Took over a project with no documentation, nobody at the company working on it, and serious technical debt. Documented the architecture and principal workflows, fixed the highest-priority technical debt, and got it ready for release.
- Introduced Scrum to the company; collaborated with the team leads and product managers to get teams working in sprints and taking ownership of quality and testing, and helped the product team develop a product roadmap.
- Led the team in developing a technical roadmap to address the technical debt.
Software Engineer | Consultant2020 - 2020Caerus (via Toptal)
- Built an MVP of an e-learning platform for a Mexican university, integrating with the Google GSuite platform.
- Built the site from scratch, and delivered it within two weeks.
- Coordinated with the client to develop product requirements, technical and database designs, and demoed the site to key university stakeholders.
Team Lead2019 - 2020CleverTech
- Led a team that delivered a greenfield project to help a major US corporation become compliant with a new California data privacy law.
- Built a preference management system, which syncs the visitors' preferences across multiple devices and sites, and integrates with services such as Segment.io to manage analytics and data tracking on each device.
- Built the product backlog, handled interactions with the client, oversaw the technical quality of the product, built the culture of the team, and line-managed the developers.
- Drove our QA process, winning my team round to a pragmatic, automation-driven approach, focusing on performance and realistic, concurrent test scenarios.
Back-end Developer | Team Lead | Scrum Master2017 - 2019Toptal
- Took over the team responsible for general technical improvements to the main platform, and managed the transition of the team to focus on building tools used by the sales and recruitment teams.
- Developed a communication system for the sales and recruitment teams, supporting VOIP and video calls, to provide essential analytics correlating call activity with a large amount of business KPIs.
- Built a team that has a good relationship with the business stakeholders while still being product-led.
- Worked as a scrum master on a team responsible for the developer experience of our large engineering team, building integrations between the various services (Slack, GitHub, Sentry error-reporting, YouTrack).
Head of Technology2016 - 2017Propoly Online Ltd
- Rescued a struggling project with an over-specified MVP, no investors, and most of the team gone.
- Learned the product, tech stack, and codebase, and managed the remaining developer (whose motivation had been severely impacted by the turmoil at the company).
- Succeeded in delivering the site, and signed up our first landlords.
Senior Engineer2014 - 2016Quantone Music
- Got a fairly junior team working together, introducing scrum and agile development, continuous integration and continuous delivery, and code reviews to developers who had never worked with them.
- Built a website to showcase the company's music metadata to potential investors.
- Built a parser to process classical music titles and broke them up into their components.
Software Engineer2011 - 2014Trayport Ltd
- Integrated the bug-tracking system (Bugzilla) with the agile project management system (Rally).
- Built an Excel plugin that subscribed to market data feeds and automatically updated spreadsheets for analysis.
- Worked on various trading systems, writing concurrent, real-time, and low-latency code.